• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General game making help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Hey guys, just wondering... What do you guys edit your tilesets in? Cause Photoshop CS4 would work perfectly for me, the problem is, I can only save the tilesets in .PSB format. I've also seen Paint.net, but that laggs, has an inzoom limit, and doesn't have a nice grid... So I was wondering, what is the best program to edit tilesets in?

Poeman

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Hey guys, just wondering... What do you guys edit your tilesets in? Cause Photoshop CS4 would work perfectly for me, the problem is, I can only save the tilesets in .PSB format. I've also seen Paint.net, but that laggs, has an inzoom limit, and doesn't have a nice grid... So I was wondering, what is the best program to edit tilesets in?
MSPaint works great for me :3

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Really? How do you get the transparency to work?
When you import the tileset into RPG Maker XP, you have the option to pick one colour in the tileset to represent transparency (usually hot pink), and one colour to represent semi-transparency (e.g. for shadows).

Tilesets themselves are a picture with no transparency.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
When you import the tileset into RPG Maker XP, you have the option to pick one colour in the tileset to represent transparency (usually hot pink), and one colour to represent semi-transparency (e.g. for shadows).

Tilesets themselves are a picture with no transparency.

Really? Where is that option? :)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Really? Where is that option? :)
In RPG Maker XP, press F9 to open the Materialbase (the list of all graphics you're using). Click "Import", find your tileset and import it. Things should be obvious from there.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Pardon me, I thought this was a game making help thread.

It is, but there's a special thread here for questions that involve Poccil's Essentials Starter Kit, seeing as there are a lot of questions about that. This thread is for more general questions like the stupid questions I asked a few posts above :)

By the way, thanks Maruno, really didn't see it until now xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2012
Could anyone point me in the direction of a guide on adding the most important part ot a pokemon game, how to make a "choosing your first pokemon" section, where oak gives me 3 pokemon to choose from.

also i need a guide on "editing switches"
thanks
M.B

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Could anyone point me in the direction of a guide on adding the most important part ot a pokemon game, how to make a "choosing your first pokemon" section, where oak gives me 3 pokemon to choose from.

also i need a guide on "editing switches"
thanks
M.B
Here's a tutorial that explains the basics about events in RPG Maker XP. Using this you'll start to understand how to make the things you asked. There are about 5 tutorials in total that explain the basics about events, look through all of them. Switches are in there as well.

http://www.rmxp.tigerseye.uk.com/tutorial_event0.shtml

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
In the notes.html under trainers it says:

VanishIfSwitch: If the RPG Maker XP switch with this number is ON, the event will not be shown.

So if a certain switch is on, the event wouldn't be shown. In my game, the graphic is still there. If i try to remove the graphic on the third event page, the graphics on all the pages of that event disappear.

kingjay99

you cant get better then me
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2010
how do you tell the game to have you battle a wild pokemon. but a specific pokemon... like in emerald how when you save birch, you battle a zigzagoon automaticly

that was weird...

Last edited:

Sero

私はセクシーです
Years
how do you tell the game to have you battle a wild pokemon. but a specific pokemon... like in emerald how when you save birch, you battle a zigzagoon automaticly

that was weird...

If you read the notes.html that came with Pokemon Essentials, you should know.

This is from the notes:

Wild Pokémon Battles

To generate a wild Pokémon battle, call pbWildBattle(X,Y,V,C) where X is the species number of the Pokémon, and Y is its level. The optional parameter V represents the number of a variable to store the result of the battle (for example, if V is 2, then the result of the battle -- 1=won; 2=lost; 3=escaped; 4=caught -- will be stored in variable number 2), and the optional parameter C is true if the player can escape from the battle (the default is true).

The following code example initiates a battle against a Kecleon at level 20, and stores the result of the battle in variable number 10.

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::KECLEON,20,10)

kingjay99

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2010
<S>ooooohhhh sorry i forgot to check there :P<S/>

my notes dont work

Last edited:

kingjay99

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2010
i wasn't asking anything about the notes... i was just noting that it doesn't work on mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back