• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Roleplay Discussion Thread "the RPD" (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
YAY FIRST POST IN THE NEW RPD *shot*

How many RPs are you part of right now? How many of them do you GM?

Like, 7:0, RPs part of to GM'd. I posted an advertisement for the RP I'm still devising atm in the old RPD, but I won't speak of it because I might change the name :#

Do you prefer sandbox roleplays or more structured roleplays? Why?

More structured roleplays. From personal experience, sandbox roleplays are hard to write for, because usually if I'm joining a roleplay, my character needs some kind of goal or a reason to do something. I can't really write when there's no reason to write, because then I'll be bothered by the old question of "is the GM bothered by this?" or "should I ask the GM this?" or "is this too cliche?" to the point where I'm just lost on what to do. On more structured roleplays, many times I'm able to give my characters an initiative pretty easily.

Do you enjoy writing sign-up sheets?

Yup! Well, it depends. Sometimes SUs are a drag for me, because it takes some time and NAMES AUGH. I'm bad at names. But usually in histories and personalities is when I can sit down and have some fun.

Is it weird or just plain wrong to assign a first or last name to canon characters that never officially received one?

Not exactly. I mean, as long as you don't call Rowan, like, I dunno just something totally weird or wrong, that's fine.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Just a question for everyone. Persona RP. Thoughts on that I have been conjuring it up in my head and thought that each character chooses an S.Link that kind of relates to their personality and they chose a Persona... not sure how to completely go about it.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Just a question for everyone. Persona RP. Thoughts on that I have been conjuring it up in my head and thought that each character chooses an S.Link that kind of relates to their personality and they chose a Persona... not sure how to completely go about it.

I've been spending an awful lot of time recently discussing with a friend about the potential of a Persona roleplay so I actually have plenty of ideas for this if you want help with it. Maybe I'll be able to kick you into high gear with it if you're willing to let me throw a bit of myself into the mix.

Regardless I would be interested. I call the Emperor arcana!

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
SOULBOND is in serious need of players! I'm removing the player cap, but if SOULDBOND doesn't gain some players, it may not make it to IC Status!

Years
@Chuckles - Whilst I don't know much of Persona, what I have heard sounds really interesting. Definitely worth a shot.

@Dusk - Soulbond looks great I don't know how it hasn't gotten more attention then that! I might join myself but I'm working on bringing out some RPs of my own and on maintaining my activity in others. So yeah, those who aren't too busy join Dusk's RP already it looks awesome.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Thanks Gimmiepie and Grif of Hearts. This is just a preview of what I have been working on.

I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I cometh…

Welcome to the velvet room. My it would seem you have a most unusual destiny lying before you. Some introduction I am Igor and I am quite pleased to make your acquaintance. You see, this realm exists between mind & matter. It separates dream from reality. Generally speaking only those who have forged a contract are allowed to visit this room and maybe soon such a fate will be awaiting you as well.
To expand you are no ordinary individual, you have a great power tucked away inside of you. As you will find out soon, you will be required to use a Persona. You see A Persona is a manifestation of a person's personality. There are many Persona's one can have but I cannot simply hand them because then that Persona would become violent and difficult to control possibly killing the user and we can't have that especially for such a fine young person. It seems my time is up, now if you want to proceed, please sign your name there. It's a contract don't worry it won't bite, oh I almost forgot pick a card….​

tell me what you guys think and if there are any errors please tell me.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hmm...I think you might want to sharpen that part about what a persona is. In Persona 4, the personae are described "facades used to overcome life's hardships", and that's a rather simple way of putting it, but it's true enough. This isn't to say that a persona isn't the manifestation of one's personality, it definitely is, but only when it's awakened does it truly become one's personality. Otherwise, a persona is simply a mask that one wears because they're not willing to open up, they're being repressed, they aren't comfortable with themselves, or that they don't know themselves well enough to know what their "true self" is.

Also, you say "There are many Persona's" when it should be "There are many Personas" or "There are many Personae". That sentence is also mostly run-on, you might one it to go like this:
You see, a Persona is a manifestation of one's personality. There are many Personas one can possess, but I cannot simply hand them out; if I did that, the Persona would become violent and difficult to control, possibly killing the user. We can't have that, especially for such a fine young person.

There are also word changes and the addition of punctuation, so use it as you see fit. I changed some of it to sound more Igor-ish, hopefully nothing too objectionable, though. There are also some other changes that are needed, such as the capitalization of Velvet Room, a comma after "My" in the second sentance, possibly a semicolon after mind & matter (but that's optional), and a comma after "Generally Speaking".

Other than that, though, it seems pretty good. I'm interested in seeing where you'll take the idea.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Persona is great and all, but with my experience with the game they very much like to be complex and (well to me anyway Persona 1 was weiiirrddd) confusing.

what's great though is that persona, the fighting and the character relationships are both important things. which is what RPing does very well. but yeah good luck with the plot because if you wanna make it persona-able just have multiple subplots happening at once with 400000000 open ended questions until the end AND EVEN THEN

/cries.

maybe i'm just bad at persona.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I hear you but at least when it comes to heaps of subplots they will all be controlled by the characters (S.Links). I am still working on the plot and I don't have a complete idea where I want the story to complete it's difficult if I want to make a complete new story but I could just use a generic Shin Megami Tensei plot where it's like demons want to invade or its time for us humans to rebel against god etc. etc.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
Did someone say a Persona RP?

Ever since I discovered that series I fell in love with the series INSTANTLY and I'm still in love with it.

I wouldn't mind attempting to participate in something like that as well.

Let me know.

You are slave. Want emancipation?

{D:}

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Sadly, I have to leave the RP scene for now. My grades have been faltering, first time ever I had E(58%) as overall grade. I decided to make a little sacrifice and give up my RP time to study more. I'm sorry to all the GMs of the RPs I'm in but I gotta do it for productivity ;-;. I'll be back if I get better grades though.

Only RP I'll continue is Johto Mysteries and that's because I'm a co-GM and Dementia is unavailable.

Last edited:

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
SOULBOND has gathered slight attention, but so far, not enough to pick up. At the very least, give it a look. We need players, we need interesting characters! We need cool people!

Cool people only.

Note: All PC RPers are cool.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
@ Genesis, that is a mature and wise choice to make. Best of luck with the grades!

@ Dusk, I'll give Soulbond another look after my exams, but no promises :3
i'm not cool but

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
Finally decided to check out this snazzy new thread...Snazzy...Isn't that the hip thing to say these days? I can never keep up with kids and their new-fangled zingers these days...

@Genesis: It'll be a lonelier corner without you here, G/J-Dog. Come back ASAP. It's sad that that's what I came to here.

Just curious, does anybody else look at other's people SUs to find criteria and avoid making similar characters?

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Just curious, does anybody else look at other's people SUs to find criteria and avoid making similar characters?

Lol yesss this is totally me XD sometimes i get a character idea then i look through everyone else's characters just to make sure that I didn't make them like mine but, if i do I usually just change mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back