• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation State of Mind

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
Years
  • So, a funny thing happened to me the other day...

I was out for a walk mulling over some ideas for some drawings I was going to do. I wanted to give them all Pokemon in these pictures too, and, as I started mentally assigning who got what, I noticed 95% of what came to me was Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon. Now, I'm not what one would call a 'Genwunner' er however its spelled, but it got me thinking. Did I put a personality on the first two Gens, and just not bother with the rest?

Anyone else seem to think in a certain Gen?

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I mostly think of gen 3 and 4 since I've grew up with them. I rarely think of gen 5. Most pokemon I think of are from gen 3 and 4.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always think of Gen V first, then Gen I, II, III, and IV hahah. Idk why!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I rarely think of Gens I-II because I never got to play their original games. I put my focus on Gen V, followed by Gens IV and III.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
    Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Usually all my attention goes to the newest generation, so for now it'll be V, and then will come VI and VII and VIII if they decide to go that far.

That said, I grew up with II and III, and Gen II is one of my all time favorites, so I think of it a lot as well.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • My focus tends to end up on Gen I because I grew up watching that bit of the anime & on Gen III because Emerald was my first Pokémon game. Gen II comes next obviously, seeing as how I watched the anime fairly regularly until Season 6 and Hoenn had a crap-tonne of Johto 'mons in. I got sort of lost 'round Gen IV so I don't think about it much, but certainly more than I think of Gen V, which... I never finished tbh. Even though I watched the anime of that a bit, that generation just hasn't stuck with me. :x

So yeah. Gens I & III are what my mind connects to.

Years
  • When I think of Pokemon, I think generation 1. Sometimes 2 and 3. I know barely any from later generations.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I definately think of Generation I before anything else, with the exceptions of some favorite Pokemon from later generations. However, I tend to consider them all equally when I'm writing something like a fanfiction or roleplay post. I'm just the most used to the original 151 because I've been into Pokemon since it was first introduced stateside and I love nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    Apart from the first 151, and all the starter Pokémon ... I don't know which Generation is which anymore. I just know a lot of different Pokémon that I like, regardless of Generation. I tend to go by type. :)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Well, I've been following Pokémon ever since the first games up to the fourth generation, but then it kinda went off with B/W when most of my friends stopped caring about Pokémon. So because of this, I pretty much think of the first two generation when it comes to Pokémon, as those were the two generations of games I've spent the most time with.

I gues it'd be I - II - IV- III - V. The fourth gen came before the third, mainly because I lost my Ruby after a short while, so I didn't get to play it as much as I have with the others, and gen V is obviously last since I never played neither of the two games.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Whenever I think Pokémon, I don't think of a generation, so to say. But it's usually always Grovyle/Sceptile, followed by Treecko, Nuzleaf, Cyndaquil, Turtwig, Oshawott, other Gen 1-4 Pokémon, and then it goes down to Gen V Pokémon, which are the only group of Pokémon I haven't memorized all the names to.

:D I'm lame

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    Usually when I think of Pokemon the first Gen to come to my mind is Gen 3, then 4 followed by 2, 1 and last is 5, probably just because I haven't played the Gen 1 or 5 games enough yet.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I'm always thinking between Gen I and III Pokemon, I enjoyed them the most! V comes in last though, sometimes I can't recall what their names are.

soulavenger

A Keen Observer
    Years
  • I mostly think of Pokemons from Gen 1-3 because they are the ones most familiar to me.Also, during the time of Gen 1, I was quite young and they say that a young mind is more impressionable, so I think Gen 1-2 left the most impact on me.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I think mostly of Gens III and V, because they have most of my favorite Pokemon. It also probably helps that Gen III was around when I started getting really serious about the games.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I mostly think of Generation 1 because of Kanto, then Unova because it's the recent, and Hoenn because it was my first region, then Johto because it's the last one, lol.

Back