• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feedback Get-Together 2019 Staff Feedback

Years
  • I don't think we need to start planning earlier because April is plenty early imo, but we do need to actually use the time we give ourselves. We decided (more or less) on the general theme back in April, but it wasn't until mid-late July that the majority of the work really started. Look how small a time frame that left us to complete the largest share of the work and all the time spent doing nothing between then and back when we chose a theme.

aaaa Yeah, this is basically what I was meaning to say. I assumed people did last-minute work because of lack of time, but looking back on things it's obvious it's more because people start the bulk of the work too late and we end up with last-minute struggles. I'll edit my previous post to reflect that. We definitely need to actually start in April and ideally get the most time-consuming things, like theme, plot, and point system, out of the way. The theme and story this year should've been one of the first things we completed.

I mean, we didn't have Jake (or another admin) overseeing it last year either really. Jake was one of the managers iirc but it was generally Tokyodrift and I who ended up directing things and pushing things along. I think that makes real difference clear - there was a second driving force to push things when the other wasn't around. Like Marcin said earlier, I think that would have helped a lot here. If one of those drivers in an admin, that's great, but I think it's been well-enough proven to not be a necessity.

👍 Definitely agreed that we should have at least two managers. I'd still like an admin to be involved, if not to be an actual GT manager then to at least communicate with developers on your behalf, share thoughts & discuss with the GT team, and hold managers accountable if something happens (or step in themselves if needed). It's always nice having at least one admin in the loop with what's going on with each facet of PC, and would make some things more convenient.

Years
  • Lots of words to read here and I'm mostly with Marcin with these points, so:

• It's imperative that a there is more than one 'Lead' - if we run into problem like we've had with Janp (not being able to get on etc), suddenly everything grinds to a halt. In my eyes, a member of CC NEEDS to be included alongside these numbers.
    • Said Leads need to be able to make the decision if it is needed, or take over if things are dragging.
    • If we are assigning specific roles to specific people, they need to stick to those roles and those roles only. A large issue here is that because of lack of organisation/foresight perhaps, people were having to cover 2/3 areas and everything was rushed.
    • Extend the time a little to get things 100% sorted. What I mean by this is set strict timescales and focus ONLY on those things for that timeframe, boxing them off before moving on to the next part.
    • Host it on the PC Discord server.
    • Make the selection process on the forums, rather than through the Discoerd (although this was mostly due to time constraints and trying to make it at least even as it was only two teams).

I also think NOW or in the near future, rather than bumbling nearer the time, we need to come up with a checklist of things which need to be boxed off before EOs are then incorporated into the GT. Things such as:

• Theme
    • Plot
    • Co-operative or Competitive?
    • How long the GT is running for
    • Selection process
    • Points and how the EOs will need to distribute them

I think this time around we didn't really have any guidance with stuff like this and therefore it was either remembered last minute and hastily put together, or hadn't been properly organised and therefore was causing confusion with the EOs.

Also for the love of God, as GT Management please run decisions past the rest of the team. We had a horrible argument we could've avoided having with an EO, because someone in the team had thought the event ended at a different date/time and had just gone ahead and changed an event as a result, meaning the EO was not best pleased when we informed them the event couldn't go on as they intended to do so.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • 👍 Definitely agreed that we should have at least two managers. I'd still like an admin to be involved, if not to be an actual GT manager then to at least communicate with developers on your behalf, share thoughts & discuss with the GT team, and hold managers accountable if something happens (or step in themselves if needed). It's always nice having at least one admin in the loop with what's going on with each facet of PC, and would make some things more convenient.
    Agreed on this point. It's easier for admins to jump around to different groups (devs, discord, etc.) to keep other teams in the loop who may need to help in the planning or execution stages of the GT.
    I also think NOW or in the near future, rather than bumbling nearer the time, we need to come up with a checklist of things which need to be boxed off before EOs are then incorporated into the GT. Things such as:

• Theme
    • Plot
    • Co-operative or Competitive?
    • How long the GT is running for
    • Selection process
    • Points and how the EOs will need to distribute them

I think this time around we didn't really have any guidance with stuff like this and therefore it was either remembered last minute and hastily put together, or hadn't been properly organised and therefore was causing confusion with the EOs.
    I definitely agree with this. If we do it now while the lessons learnt in this GT are still fresh, we can pin the checklist somewhere for when we slowly open up the GT planning next year. If we do this event every year like clockwork, a checklist to follow each year so that the planning stays on track is only logical.

Back