• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Girls - Pink / Boys - Blue ?

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
I like blue better... and I don't like pink... I don't know what to say, but somehow it seems that those who have a slight dislike for pink, tend to like blue more.
I like natural colours more, and somehow I don't see pink in that pallet. Yes I know there are shades of pink in nature, but they are always mixed with another colour. =P

It's silly to associate colours with genders, everyone should like what he/she likes.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2011
The term 'Blue' ranges massively, encompassing royal blue, soft baby blue, bright electric blues to indigo and sea green. Blue is a massively vague term description of a colour, wheras pink is always 'pale red/white' >_>

Anyway there was some pretty decent evidence to show that colours were preferred by some sexes more than others. The theory behind is questionable, but still deserves some thought.

jack1993jack

I am sleeping as I write this.
Years
I don't hate either color, they're just colors. Colors shouldn't be associated with gender, it's just stereotypical for boys to like blue, and girls to like pink

Anyway, I actually quite like the pinky - purple color of my user title!

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Well I think it's actually this...

In ancient times, Greeks already designated the color assignments. You could actually think ancient people clothing boys with bold cool colors and girls with lively but soft ones.

Imagine you bieng clothe with pink colors!

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
I really think it is discriminative to determine that by the color you like.

One time my annoying classmate's annoying cousin looked in my phone and said, "OMG! Your menu bars are purple! Are you gay?"

I was like, "STFU already" >.>

I actually think it is plain stupid. They are just colors. Even though I like blue, doesn't mean I could like purple or pink. xD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
I hate the stereotypical generalisations that are made up with regards to almost anything. Colours... is a bit more of the same. It's only a colour. I don't really see any problems with liking any colours, but being teased about it is just the plain cruelty that children dish out. =\
I have fond that for awhile, the majority of girls I knew liked pink > blue and guys blue > pink.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
The whole idea is that pink is more feminine looking. And blue is the color that's on boy's diapers 8(
I like pink, it's me favorite color, and I know a lot of boys who like blue.

I think it's all based on what people generally felt at the time, and it just stuck XD;

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
That's stereotyping. I have female friends who hated pink. Basically, we should just wear what we like.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
I think the color arrangements are kinda like gender discrimination, you know? I'm male, and I like pink, I'm male, and I like blue too! =O
I think it's wrong for people to think that if your a boy you should like blue and hate pink. I bet some boys say they hate pink, but deep inside they love it.

Im going to completely agree with TT here, though I think it's ok for babies to be pink/blue

but as they mature they can like which ever color they so choose, and it cant be "Hey your a boy you must like BLUE"
Its like saying "Hey your a fishermen that must eat your fish" or something along those lines...

I sorta like pink, but im male and I love blue, not because its sterio typical, but I love the water, what color is that? Blue. If it was yellow, Id love yellow, simple as that...

So yeah pink/blue is basically stereotyping that often is correct...

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
there's this one kid in my english class that loves Pink and Purple o_O

xDD

I personally love both colors :p

but blue is far more sexier -shot'd- xDD

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
Years
In my opinion red is a more manlier color than blue. I mean, I don't know how many kids have gotten into fights because they wanted to be the red ranger. I don't think boys and girls should be associated with colors but I don't see a problem with the color hospitals give to newborns. Color generalization goes beyond just boy/girl things, like if you wear lots of black you're a Goth.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I think Light Blue is a perfect color for any girl or boy, amost every person in my school loves light blue. ^.^
Me is a fan of Orange though. XD

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
Years
Colours are Colours.

I remember when all the boys/girls in my old school (not me and my mates though XD) would separate the colours into two pots, one had Pink & Purple and all that, and one had Blue & Green and all that. Then they would say 'Only Boys can use this pot (Pointing to Blue/Green pot) and only Girls can use this pot (Pointing at Pink/Purple pot)' then I would go and grab the green and blue and use them on my sheet. I don't really like pink you see... also, mocking them was fun ;)

ONLY REAL MEN WEAR PINK

Sorry about that random outburst...
I'm not saying guys who don't like pink, because they generally don't like it, aren't men, i'm saying the ones that are like 'Oh, I can't wear pink, thats a girls colour' aren't men :)

For the record...

Whats wrong with being gay ANYWAY? (Just wondering)

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
Years
I actually read up on colours a lot on my own since I think it's interesting, and Cowrie pointed out something that I'm surprised more people don't know: Pink was originally considered a masculine colour, and blue a feminine colour. (Because pink is a diluted shade of red, which is the colour of things such as blood and carried a more masculine connotation.)

Not only were the colours different and carried different stereotypes, but even the actually clothing itself was different. In Victorian England, boys and girls alike would both wear dresses until they were around...five, I think. After that, they would wear shorts, and then eventually slacks.

---

I wrote up a little thing on red a while back on why it's such a popular colour for lead characters, or characters in general. It's very thrown together, but has information which I found interesting on the colour:

"Depending on your sources, red reflects courage, passion, power, love, violence, strength, anger, death, danger, happiness, luck, excitement, etc. In Feng Shui, it reflects passion, love, and arousal, especially. In some countries it is the colour of marriage or of mourning. Also, in decorating, red inducing larger appetites, raise blood pressure, and induce shorter tempers, if I remember correctly.

With such a variety, you can easily find traits that are ideal for various characters, and not just in animanga, but all sorts of areas.

I'm foggier on this, but I'm pretty sure red has the longest wave length of the light spectrum, so it can be seen the easiest and travel the furthest. (Blue and purple are the shortest, which is part of why purple lights are so uncommon!) Red and green are some of the most common colours in colour blindness, however."

And this is how I spend my free time...studying colours and other generally irrelevant information. Colour stereotypes can be annoying, but like most stereotypes, will prevail and morph for at least a long while. It's actually quite interesting.

Personally, I prefer blue, because it's easier on my eyes and just more appealing, but I have no animosity towards pink.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
From my judgement, the Pokemon games use red for females, actually.

I won't state my gender.
I prefer pink/red over blue; regardless of that, the colours red and blue can be used to help display the female and male genders respectively.
I don't think the associated colours need be any source of controversy, it's not about what someone likes, it's just the use of two contrasting colours to differentiate between the two primary genders: Saying it's discriminative or stereotypical is just like saying the gender symbols are.

Last edited:

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
It seems every time I change my WLM name to pink, a whole bunch of people start a conversation with me asking if I'm gay. Also, there's a really nice Wordpress theme that's blue and pink but as soon as my sister saw it, she started annoying me so I took it off.

So yes, I do believe certain colours are associated with certain genders.

Years
  • Age 118
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Choose what ever colour you like. Doesn't have to have a certain gender.

All the boys that don't like pink and rag people that do are all gay inside.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
Years
It doesn't really matter what colour you like. Gender has no limitations these days.

They're just colours, there's no rule stating that girls should like pink and boys should like blue.

If a boy likes pink, that doesn't make them less of a boy. All that shows is that they're not afraid of who they are and can like whatever they want.

benji

ウサギちゃん!
Years
When I was in elementary school, I liked blue, because all the other boys liked blue. Every boy's favorite color was blue. When we got dismissed to recess by our favorite colors (lol), all the boys would go when the teacher called blue. XD

But now I like pink, because it's a cute color (although it's not my favorite color). ^^

Back