• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goths

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I think that people are people, and they all have their own interests, their own style, their own preferred genre of music, and their own hobbies.
    Thankfully after being done with high school, I've come to realize how horribly stupid all labels are. And I'm very thankful for having been involved in music throughout high school, because I've gotten to be friends or at least good aquantences with at least one person from every generic stereotype, and they're all great people, and they're all different.

The only types of people that I don't like are the types that act like their better than everyone else, and think that they have to judge everyone based on their interests and style. I've been through many phases that range from "goth" to "prep." And I'll tell you what, my interests have never changed.. It's just a matter of how I feel like dressing. When I used to wear black all the time (mostly due to a never ending collective of Invader Zim shirts), I was labeled a Goth, but then I started shopping at places like Aeropostale, and that label was dropped. Of course, I stopped going to Hot Topic after I almost got kicked out for taking a picture of myself inside the store.. that really ticked me off.
    I'm all for t-shirts and sweatpants now. :P

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    I wear drab colors sometimes, but I'm definitely not goth. I wear a lot of bright colors too. I have different philosophies for both situations (clothing philosophies, lololol).

If I'm wearing all dark clothing, I usually am thinking that I'm going to add color to the world through making art or through my actions. My dark appearance starkly contrasts what I'm doing, which is intended to make it seem that much more vibrant.

If I'm wearing bright clothing, I usually just feel like adding a splash of color to my everyday surroundings, to defeat the mundane. Yeah it's a little weird, but what the heck.

As for people that wear the black and white make-up and all-dark clothing, I try to decide based on their intent. If they're greedy for attention, I usually just blow them off. If it's a fashion statement, I decide whether I like it or not. Same goes for pretty much any style. I've been known to intentionally wear all white myself, just to be funny.

LunarWing

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
    Years
    I live in the Netherlands, and being a goth here is way different than in America.. Like maybe some of you know, the group-thing(you know: you have the Goths, Chavs, Preps etcetc), is not really present in Europe, at least not in a grade you experience there. I have been goth before, I had white hair and eyeliner etcetc, but I still did not really get accepted. Everyone associates it with satanism, while its not. Now I'm more of the metalhead-type, and people still think I follow some pagan cult or something. And while I'm very interested in it(and my ancestors seem to have been pagan to(Scandinavian descent)), I don't really. I do believe some pagan theories though.

I don't bite bats heads off, I don't spill my blood on a pentagram, and I don't pray to satan:P, although many people seem to think otherwise, just like with goths.

In the end, we are all flesh and blood, and we all have lungs, and a heart, and brains, whatever our subculture, culture, or color of our skin is!=)

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
    Though I'm hardly goth (I favour more of a "hippy" selection of clothes) I have a lot of goth friends, and really, I don't see anything wrong with a fashion or a style of living. My friend, who's also a member of this site, was playfully called "mothgoth" by my dad because of the black, tattered clothes he wore when he came round. But yeah, I don't know why people freak out and hate on people because of their style. Reminds me of the news story which happened a few months ago of the girl who was actually killed because she was goth... Chavs, eh. Monsters. ._.

(BBC News story.)

Years
    I love goth people. They are normally very nice people. They just look scary. I have like 20 goth friends and they are all the nicest people ever.

Katnip

Harajuku Lover
    Years
    Seriously, goth people intimidate me. Like, once I was in Minnesota, and I saw these two teens dressed up 'goth'. One had dyed her hair bright red,the other's hair was black, but they had gone all out on the face piercings, velvet, leather, and fishnets (mostly on the girl). I swear, they must have been there for a photo shoot or something, because they stuck out like sore thumbs. Plus, when I walked by, the gave me a look poisonous enough to kill a small animal.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I have no problem with Goth / Emos / Punks or anything like that, my bestfriend's whole family is practicly punk / goth so I'm used to them

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    What the... -- Some people are acting as if people who are goth are of a different breed of life than everyone else and that's just.. deeply upsetting and confusing how that can happen on a Pokémon forum. If someone wants to dress in dark clothing, let them. It's not your right to judge them just because they are wearing dark clothing. That just isn't right. Though people do that everyday, it's still unfair to get someone's first impression by the way they are dressed, though that's typical of society these days. You see someone in rags and assume that they're homeless, you see someone in sweats (everyday) and assume that they're poor, you see someone with somewhat long fingernails and assume that they have poor hygine. You never think of anything aside from that. What if that's all they had to wear today? What if they can't find any nail clippers? What if they like to dress that way?

My opinion on goths are that of any other "clique" or whatever you'd like to call them. I don't see them as a separate anything as the majority of my friends claim to be somewhat goth. But I do believe some people should really grow out of what we are used to being part of and stop looking down on the majority of the sub-culture as if they were different breed of life. But by asking this question, I suppose that that was going to happen anyway. Just like it would happen with any other clique question that could be asked.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Goths/Punks and Emos don't freak me out one bit. If someone wishes to dress in black, smoke and... have chains or whatever it is goths wear then let them. It's their life.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I don't really know many so I won't judge, but I wouldn't take any chances with them.

Short and to the point :P

~Mooshykris

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    You shouldn't let a word categorize what you are.

Dress however you want to dress.
    Read whatever you want to read.
    Talk to whoever you want to talk to.

And leave it at that.

I see many things downtown Toronto. People dress and act in a variety of ways.
    To me, people are people. It doesn't matter.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I dont live that way but I admire the style. Sometimes they where the same clothes every day though and its not cute.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I know quite a few goths, and honestly I don't mind them. Though some of the ones I know are really just doing it to fit in to a group. I used to hang with the goths quite frequently, and I never wore anything that could be considered goth except for maybe a black-t shirt, with my khaki pants and usual shoes.
    On most occasions, I'd just go with my usual clothing.

Candace

Beauty Trainer
    Years
    I myself absolutely hate the gothic visual style. Such as the clothes, make-up, hair et.c. Not because I dislike the culture at all, it's just... What's so individual about BLACK and when EVERYONE looks the same?

I suppose I'm a bit of design and fashion freak... so since I love anything quirky and unique, gothic styles are everything I hate

I'm a bit tired of the girl that stands in a corner with her other gothic friends, sighing at blonde girls who wear clothes in the colors of the rainbow... They seem to think they themselves are 100% unique, while, they're not. Goths have become so mainstream it's not even funny

LunarWing

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
    Years
    Of course you are right, mainstream/stereotypical-goth is really not unique, but most people that follow all trends aren't unique too..., as long as you don't make clothes yourself, you can't be visually unique after all...

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    I honestly think it is unfair to judge a person on how they look or dress. I always wear something with black, but I'm not goth, though I suppose the style I like bends toward goth/punk. But that's not me, I just dress with whatever I like. The only 'goths' I hate are the wannabe's. The ones who don't even understand the literature, belief's, ect. The people who dress in black for no reason are people I do not like. Real goths are pretty awsome people. They're not all broody and moody like most people think. In fact there's an event each year where hundreds of goths come together and go ice skating. It's really interesting.

Evilyn

Termination Bliss
    Years
    I don't care what other people wear, really. Wear whatever you want, you won't get any opinions or compliments from me.

Master Electrician

Pretty pretty lights
    Years
    Like all other parts of the social strata, there are goths I'm perfectly okay with and like to spend time with, those whom I'm ambivalent towards, and those whom I find objectionable. Making a blanket statement about a group is idiocy.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    To be serious, I'm not much comfortable with goths. They just don't match my personality. I'm always cheerful and talkable to everyone and I like to dress colorful clothes. Most of the goths around the city where I live only talk to other goths and turn their face to people who are dressing the rainbow colours. Also, I rarely see them with a happy face. They're always wearing black clothes, always wearing black makeup, always having a weird-looking hair, seriously, that doesn't match me. They think they're unique, but there are plenty of people looking like this. That's not unique at all.

Back