• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grass/Fire/Water complementary Pok?mon?

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Grass/Fire/Water complementary Pokémon?

Which Pokémon of these (starter) types do you usually complement your starter in your team?

E.g: If you pick Bulbasaur, what fire and/or water type Pokémon do you complement it with in your team?

My choices normally are Vileplume, Flareon and Lapras.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Hmm, that's a tough one, since I don't always complement my starters with other fire, water, or grass-types. In my second playthrough of Y though, I started with Chespin, brought in a Torchic from the Pokemon Bank, and chose a Squirtle as my Kanto starter once I got to Professor Sycamore's lab. I can't say I had any specific intention of having complementary types, but it worked out, so I guess it's a pretty good strategy :)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Grass - I usually went with Vileplume, Bellossom, Roserade, Leafeon, Leavanny when available. I believe I used Victreebel once, but for some reason I never went back. I also often carry around a Parasect for catching purposes.
    Fire - I usually went with Ninetales, Arcanine, Flareon, Houndoom when available. I did use Chandelure a couple times as well.
    Water - By far my most oft-selected Water-type is Starmie when available. Others include Lapras, Kabutops, Lanturn, Kingdra, Milotic when available. However, many times I catch myself avoiding using a Water-type (because they're so often used) and try to teach HM03 to a non-Water Pokemon for diversity.

If another region's starter is available, I may opt to go with it as well. I often end up with a physical Charizard for HM02 purposes.

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    In Kanto, I would use Lapras, Raichu, or Arcanine/Ninetales. Or an Eeveelution. I typically choose those because they were my favorite Pokemon at the time of playing FireRed. Normally, I just use whatever I catch at the time. I'm really starting to regret the team I have in HeartGold, though. It's unbalanced, but I refuse to switch them out with other Pokemon. (Quilava, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Dratini, Flaaffy, and Golbat).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For water, Gyarados and Milotic will always be my top two choices; they're easy to utilize. As for fire and grass, I'll have to go with Ninetales and Roserade, respectively.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i typically always have a fire, water, and grass type unless i'm doing some kind of theme or monotype team. but as to what you're saying there isn't any certain pokemon of a type i complement with another

Years
  • I never just stick with a certain set of Pokémon to complement the starter I choose. I'll always switch it up. I never have a team already planned out when I start a new game. I always want to incorporate Pokémon exclusive to that region, so I go through the process of checking out stats and stuff as I'm playing the game. Not before. :)

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    i typically always have a fire, water, and grass type unless i'm doing some kind of theme or monotype team. but as to what you're saying there isn't any certain pokemon of a type i complement with another

Maybe you misunderstood. You said that you usually have a fire, water and grass type on your team. I assume that in those cases you don't have another pokémon of the same type as your starter. So those same pokémon are complementing your starter. What are those?

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the starters I use, I tend to use the Water type ones. So when it comes to the complementary Pokemon, I look to Fire or Grass. These are the ones I remember:
    Blue: Magmar for Fire, did not have a Grass
    Silver: don't remember
    Sapphire: don't remember
    Diamond: don't remember
    Platinum: Rapidash for Fire, did not have a Grass
    Soul Silver: don't remember
    White: don't remember
    White 2: Darmanitan for Fire, Leavanny for Grass
    X: Gogoat for Grass, did not have a Fire
    Alpha Sapphire: Torkoal for Fire, did not have a Grass

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Maybe you misunderstood. You said that you usually have a fire, water and grass type on your team. I assume that in those cases you don't have another pokémon of the same type as your starter. So those same pokémon are complementing your starter. What are those?

yeah and im saying i never use the same pokemon to complement my starter. if my starter is a fire type i'll have a water and grass type on the team along with it as a base start for the team, but as to what pokemon they are always changes.

Back