• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Gyms confirmed to return!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • So I checked the Pokémon Sword and Shield's site, and apparently they confirmed that "You'll visit the various Gyms in the Galar region, aiming for the enviable and admirable title of Champion!" If you saw the Direct, you may see a trainer entering a building that has the leaf mark in it, and I can assume this to be one of the Gyms available in Galar region.

So what do you think? Are you happy on the return to usual Gym routes? Discuss away.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think what we saw in the trailer is a Sports Stadium and not a gym. There are only 5 of those buildings in the region and the Gym Symbol isn't visible. They also said in Kalos that they wanted to make the gyms unique. So I don't think they would make them all look the same again.

Obviously gyms are in the games, but I do not think that building you mention is one of them.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I think what we saw in the trailer is a Sports Stadium and not a gym. There are only 5 of those buildings in the region and the Gym Symbol isn't visible. They also said in Kalos that they wanted to make the gyms unique. So I don't think they would make them all look the same again.

Obviously gyms are in the games, but I do not think that building you mention is one of them.

Maybe so, or maybe not, because we still have no idea on what the Gym in Galar region looks like as of yet, but the fact that the Gyms are confirmed on the main site is what matters rn :smile:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • So long as Gym's return is what matters. My speculation on what Gym Types:

Grass
    Fire
    Dark
    Ghost
    Ice
    Steel
    Psychic
    Dragon

Elite 4
    Water
    Bug
    Ground
    Fairy

Champion: Mixed Types

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Sorry should have added to the discussion. If these are gyms, there could be 3 in the big cities, making it a total of 8. As it looks like there are 3 large cities, which I assume are the 'hubs' of the south, center, and north parts of the map.

I am very glad that gyms are returning. I hated trials. That was one massive hope for Gen 8.

As for the types in which the gyms can be, going by the images that could or could be a gym and the scenery.
    Water, Grass, Rock, Ice, Steel, Fairy, and Normal.

The building in the Northeast near the giant mushrooms scream FAIRY to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I'm a little disappointed but not surprised. I just hope they change it up a little bit.

Years
  • I'm not too surprised that Gyms made a comeback. Trials seemed like a thing that would only be exclusive to Alola simply because of the region culture, so I didn't expect the loss of Gyms to last long. However, I do have a concern about one thing.

What Alola did right is flesh out most of the Trial Captains/Kahunas so they were involved in more than just being the Trial Captain/Kahuna. In other words, they weren't one-dimensional like most Gym Leaders in prior games were. I worry that, because Gym are returning, that we're going to get mostly faceless Gym Leaders that only exist to give you a badge and play no real importance in anything else.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    I hope we get leaders that are as fleshed out and as involved in the story as Gen 5 because they really nailed gym leaders down to a tee imo

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Here's my predicted Gym types (not in order):

Grass
    Water
    Dragon
    Rock
    Electric
    Fairy
    Steel
    Ice

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • I am curious if it is gyms in the sense we know them or gyms but in a new way. Like maybe not the 8 gyms but instead gyms that have puzzles and are done differently

Years
  • I think Alola's take was cool, but not perfect, and I prefer the gym set-up, but I agree with what's already been said - I hope they take time to flesh out the gym leaders and have them play a role in the story rather than be stale and pointless.

Years
  • Gyms confirmed to return!

These are my guesses:

Clocktower is a gym ??? type (dunno which one)
    The town in the middle (not sure which type)
    and the town to the far north, with the red roof. The tall tower in the middle could be the Pokemon League.

The five stadiums circled are very clearly pokemon gyms colored to the types they specialize in
    Green one - grass
    Blue - water
    pink - fairy (considering that there are giant, luminescent mushrooms around it)
    brown - rock
    black - dark or ice, is a possibility when considerin the terrain but dark due to the placement ontop of the mansion? so either would go there.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • So gyms are returning? Not bad. Maybe they will reveal their names first and then we can guess the type from the names

Back