• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Hack Chat

Years
  • Episode #2 recording date is now confirmed as 10/04/16. If there is anything, or anyone, you'd definitely like to see in #2 now is the time for final submissions! I've been toying with the idea of possibly also livestreaming it as we're recording, obviously it wouldn't be as polished as the finished article but it's an idea I'd like to throw out there.

My candidates are:
    - FBI
    - Touched of blessed memory
    - Spherical Ice
    - Deokishisu
    What I'd like to see:
    - more talk about hacking itself than romhacks
    - more advanced ASM/C/graphic related topics

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • We've recorded episode 2! I decided to hold back on using an interviewee this time around but it will definitely be happening for episode 3. Achromatic was unable to join us again due to our weird recording schedule but he will definitely be around for episode 3 as well.

We decided to talk about how to start out with ROM Hacking; tools you need, advice etc. and that took up a long time but we also briefly talked about Pokémon Vega (which will be covered in more detail for episode 3), Pokémon A New Dawn and Hack of the Month for April. I hope you all enjoy it when it's uploaded :)

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    It's funny how you guys went into ledges, because the route I'm working on right now uses ledges as terraces. You say ledges should only really be used for a certain purpose and don't really work on an aesthetic level. So I took a screen of my WIP map and wondered if this is like a bad use of ledges, and if it is, should one instead endeavor to use the mountain tiles for ledges?
    Spoiler:

Great listen this time guys, much cleaner and engaging than last time and the mapping talk was as informative as it was enjoyable. I look forward to the next one.
    Edit: I didn't know my hack was up for HOTM, the demo version up right now isn't really accurate anymore in regards to anything but story and is still very much in its infancy. Thanks, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    It's funny how you guys went into ledges, because the route I'm working on right now uses ledges as terraces. You say ledges should only really be used for a certain purpose and don't really work on an aesthetic level. So I took a screen of my WIP map and wondered if this is like a bad use of ledges, and if it is, should one instead endeavor to use the mountain tiles for ledges?
    Spoiler:

Great listen this time guys, much cleaner and engaging than last time and the mapping talk was as informative as it was enjoyable. I look forward to the next one.
    Edit: I didn't know my hack was up for HOTM, the demo version up right now isn't really accurate anymore in regards to anything but story and is still very much in its infancy. Thanks, though.
    I think the mountain tiles + stairs would look better for your maps. Take a look at a map like Sevault Canyon for how you could emulate elevation.

This episode was far easier to listen to thanks to the editing, so good job :) I'm not sure how much editing played into this, but you guys also seemed a lot more cohesive. Unfortunately, as I was listening to your discussion on basic tools like script editors and map editors, it became really apparent that what Dizzy suggested above on more advanced topics probably won't work out that well. I initially thought the idea sounded really good, but the podcast format forces you to talk about things in the more abstract level, and seeing how little detail you can reasonably put into basic things like overworld scripts, I can only imagine how murky discussion of things like graphical hacking will be. I'd love to be proven wrong, of course. Overall, nice podcast, but I was really disappointed by the lack of FBI elitism. Please bring it back, it made it more enjoyable.

One thing I'd ask - could this possibly be put somewhere besides youtube? The youtube format seems better for when you're on the computer/have it playing in a tab while doing something else, but I tend to listen to podcasts while in transit. You need to have the youtube video opened in a phone to listen to it which prevents you from doing anything else which is why podcasts on youtube aren't really a common thing. If it were on some pure audio host, it would be a lot more convenient.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I sealed away my elitist remarks, some of it poured out, but most of it was sealed. It was torturous to not bash Advance map and calling bad things good, but I have endured. Last video's top voted comment was, "Fire FBI", so I thought I'd be nicer this time :D

So before recording we talked about how we'd try to incorporate advance topics. It became apparent that it wasn't going to be feasible to explain without the visual aids that would be present in videos. Also, Youmu, Hashtag and Achromatic are all excellent hackers, but I don't think they know enough about the technicalities required to speak about graphical programming for the GBA in C. It'd just end up being me rambling and that sort of takes away from this podcast's collaborative aspect.

If you want a graphics on the GBA tutorial using C, you'll have to beg me sufficiently enough :^)

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • This one was better than the last. The better editing made it much easier to listen to.
    It'll be interesting to see who the guest will be.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I sealed away my elitist remarks, some of it poured out, but most of it was sealed. It was torturous to not bash Advance map and calling bad things good, but I have endured. Last video's top voted comment was, "Fire FBI", so I thought I'd be nicer this time :D

So before recording we talking about how we'd try and talk about advance topics it became apparent that it wasn't going to be feasibly explainable without the visual aids to be present in videos. Also, Youmu, Hashtag and Achromatic are all excellent hackers, but I don't think they know enough about the technicalities required to speak about graphical programming for the GBA in C. It'd just end up being me rambling and that sort of takes away from this podcast's collaborative aspect.

If you want a graphics on the GBA tutorial using C, you'll have to beg me sufficiently enough :^)
    Heck yeah I'll beg for that!
    へ(°°へ)

__(。__。__) *please*

へ(°°へ)

__(。__。__) *please*

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • It's definitely not finished! We will do the Pokémon Vega episode at some point, do not worry about that. We've all just been caught up with other stuff but the next Hack Chat is definitely in the works, the current idea is to focus around the Community ROM Hack and have as many of the team involved as possible. It was meant to be last Sunday but a few things got in the way, I may try and do it this Sunday though. Beauty of this is that we don't have a set timeframe and can just do them whenever we see fit, although I must admit 6 months is a bit too long a break.

Back