• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

Notworking15

Wait...WHAT?!
Years
    • Seen May 29, 2011
    for me, it was clay, took me several tries to beat that guy, i got lucky when i beat him. also the first gym was kind of hard, even with pansear...Drayden was a pain too, luckily i had a steel and an ice type.

oh yeah, for those who have trouble with Elesa, it helps to have a ground, rock, or steel type in your party

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • Saw this on Serebii forums, so it migrated to Pokecommunity.

What was your hardest?

I felt that Clay was very hard.

Everyone was really easy for me. Sawk, Serperior, watchog and Krookoodile really helped. But ironically the first gym took me 3 tries xD.

I thought if you pick the symbol you'll get the opposite type but I thought way out of the box so I hit the fire symbol thinking it'll trick the gym that I have a fire type but it meant I picked the fire type gym leader!!! Uhhh the pain!!

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    So far I havn't had much trouble, but I'm just about to take on Skyla. My level 28 Drilbur took out Elesa's gym and her entire team, and Dewott and Conkeldurr took care of Clay. Timburr knocked out Lenora. Pansear (who is no longer on my team) helped out with Cilan and Burgh nicely, too. My newly-caught Tynamo should take care of Skyla, and Litwick should be helpful with Brycen. All that leaves is Iris, but I think I might run into a handy TM before needing to battle her.

Gary_MotherTucking_Oak

My Girth Alone>>>You
    Years
  • Elesa was the perfect counter to my team, but Stealth Rocks helped me through it.

The first Gym Leader nearly defeated me, but I still managed to pull off a win. The first and fifth was the most difficult for me.

The 1st/5th or 8th was the toughest for me.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • On my first save It took me atleast 7 trys to defeat Clays Excadrill
    On my second save (current) I found Lenora the hardest so far, I kinda had trouble in my first save with her also so Lenora!

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2011
    None of them, actually. I beat each Gym Leader with only one Pokemon, no fainters.

1. Pansage
    2. Pignite
    3. Pignite
    4. Gigalith
    5. Scolipede
    6. Gigalith
    7. Gigalith
    8. Accelgor

It surprised me how easy they were, but I always do every single thing I can before facing a gym leader. With the exception of the last one, because I was very eager to further the plot so I basically rushed in with no training after Dragonspiral Tower.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon
    Years
  • Yes lenora is the most difficult one to battle... but im anticipating that Iris would the most difficult one since i did not raise any dragon or ice type!!

I wish i could have a rematch with gym leaders again!!!

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • To me they were all very easy but the least easy one was Elesa because I was trying to train Darumaka and they kept using volt switch. I could of probably beat her Emolga really easy with Archen though.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • So far Chili was the easiest, and Lenora was very easy as well. Beat both of them with no problems or any pokemon fainting. (why did everyone find her so hard!)

Burgh defeated me twice, and I beat him on my third go so he was the hardest so far. He was super effective to all of my team @_@ And Elesa beat me once, her Emonga's were beasts XD I underestimated her.

Woobat

Koromori
    Years
  • Lenora was the toughest for me. I don't remember exactly why, but I lost to her 3 times before I beat her. All the other ones I beat on the first try.

Years
  • I definately think that the hardest gym is the 4th gym. I've been working my butt off training all my pokemon so i can be her. Urgh so mad. I had trained my sandile to lvl 26 and then i went to battle her and i found out she has not one, but two flying squirrel things! emolgas or whatevs. Dont know names yet. bug type gym was really easy though

Years
  • I'm a bit embarrased to admit this but Lenora...:'(
    Even though I had Pignite with Rock Smash, Herdier used Work up and Take down and it took more than half of Pignite's HP. When Herdier was down, Watchog came out. I healed Pignite. Retaliate. All HP gone.
    Nightmare. But with the help of my team and Leer (this was the only time I've ever used it) I defeated her finally.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • Lenora was insane! she was impossible to beat until i took the games advice and got a fighting type (throh)
    i was a little depressed that Iris was easy. i expected it to be like facing Clair and have no chance unless i had an uber ice type, but that was not the case sadly.
    little disappointed by the gym leaders, but the elite four and final battles with N and Ghetsis made up for it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2011
    I've beaten the game twice with an Oshawott and a Snivy

So I'd say if you started with Oshawott, Elesa would be your hardest because it took me like 3 hours, and about 20 times to beat her.

And for Snivy, I would say Clay because his Excadrill was hard because I didn't know his types.

But all the gum leaders would pretty easy. Lenora with her Watchog would killer because of Retaliate and Hynopsis.

Chili, Cress, Cilan, Burgh, the flying girl, Iris, and that ice guy.
    I have White btw. lol.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Is it me, or when I get confused I ALWAYS get hurt by it, but whenever I use it on an opponent, they get hit maybe once and it's gone within 3 turns? ;_;

Anyway, I found Clay hard with his Level 31 Excadrill with high Attack + Bulldoze, not good when your underleveled D:

amberrelf

~♥HalleluYah!(:
    Years

• ...Only the first one was hard for me.
    Because I started training my whole party up like ten levels ahead every time after that. xD
    I don't even get to see them use the move they give me as a TM most times now.
    I knock all their Pokemon out too fast, lmao.

Back