• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever used all 3 starters on the same team?

Years
  • Some new topic I decided to bring up.

You all know what we do with starter Pokemon, we pick one and it becomes our buddy.

But, did you choose one starter from that game, then trade the region's other two starters over and then you used all 3 on the same team?

In Pearl, half my team consists of the Sinnoh starters. Currently in their middle stages.

I also used all 3 Johto starters for a brief period in SoulSilver.

And in Black, I have every trio except Kanto's. I tend to use them in the Rotation Battles in Opelucid City's Battle House.

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
  • Once in FR where I modified some people to give the starters. Another time is in Emerald where I traded with myself.

Years
  • Only back in the ages of blue/red
    I was watching the anime, I was 7-8yo (not sure)
    And I wanted to be Ash :P So yeh, I was in need of all 3of them :p

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
  • Yes but I must admit that only in rotation battles I found it kinda amusing...
    I have tried it in all generations with hoenn and kanto being my favorites! But I quickly searched for something else coz I didn't like having three pokemon from the start...

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I did that back on a Diamond play through, and I think it goes without saying that I stuck with all three Red and Blue version starters in Yellow. :P

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • No, I think it'd be fun to try it though! However, I wouldn't like it if my rival doesn't have a unique Pokémon for me to battle against. :(

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Nope, never. I never really saw any purpose, not even in Yellow where you actually could do it without trading. I suppose it's because in each of the generations, there's a reason I don't choose the other two starters... something about them that I don't particularly like, whether it be their design, stat distribution, or secondary type.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Outside of Yellow, nope. Mainly because I prefer to catch my own pokemon of the other two types later on. XD

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Nope, never.. I always liked to have just one then choose a variety of 5 different Pokémon from the wild, it's more fun that way.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I used all three in Sapphire and Silver, but that's it. I don't like having all the starters from the same region on my team. It takes out the fun for me and feels a bit cheap, plus I'm missing out on better Pokemon. I don't really mind it as much if the starters are from different regions though, as I have a shiny Charizard and Sceptile on my SoulSilver team, obviously neither are from the same region. So that doesn't bother me too bad.

Edit: OH. And Yellow too, my bad. It still feels cheap, but it is Yellow, so I feel a bit compelled to use them honestly, haha. :(

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • I actually have planned to do that with my 2nd Black Version(I bought another) when I breed them.

I think I may have done it in Platinum once as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I've only used all 3 starters on Yellow and Colosseum. I have a personal rule that I only use Pokemon in my main team that come from whatever game I'm playing, meaning no traded Pokemon. (unless it's like Alakazam and I trade to evolve and trade back.) Since you can obtain all 3 Kanto starters in Yellow, I would use them! And the Johto starters are all in Colosseum, so I used them too. Otherwise, I don't, unless I'm making extra just-for-fun teams.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Outside of Yellow, I tried it once on Emerald. I got really bored of it since it wasn't much fun at all. I murdered all the trainers so I stopped by the time I beat Norman.

Years
  • Aside from early on in Yellow (and that didn't even last long), I haven't had all of the starters from the same region on my team. I did have Venusaur, Typhlosion and Swampert on my team in HeartGold for a while. So I guess I have used all 3 types, but just not from the same region.

Years
  • Nope, I always stuck with what I chose. In all honesty, only in R/S/E did I ever become attatched with the stater. I usually become with another Pokemon instead. In my current case, Simisear. I'll always use my starter but it's never anything special to me.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Yes I did.
    In Pokémon Yellow, because being 5, for me Charizard, Blastoise and Venusaur were the best.
    And also in Pokémon Pearl, I trade them in the GTS. Because I don't really like IV gen Pokémon so I had trouble so decide of my team. Thereby I prefered using the three starters.

Last edited:

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I used all 3 once in Platinum it kinda made my team hard to balance considering I pick my pokemon accordingly based on my starter. I have all 3 them right now in Black yet I don't use any of them not even my actual starter Serperior

Back