• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever wondered how they evolve traded Pokemon in the anime?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Alright, you know how some Pokemon in the games needs to be traded in order for them to evolve right? Well have you ever wondered how people evolve them in the anime? I'm pretty sure they have to be traded too, but seeing it as the anime, do you think they have some weird measures to evolve them?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Too me they naturally occur in the wild, or they have them evolve in a situational need. Like they need to be stronger to defeat a pokemon, save a character, and so on. It has crossed my mind a couple times though.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Well the Anime is different then the game when it comes to these things like how Paul had his Electivire that is needed to be traded while holding an item. Maybe instead of doing trading for Pokemon to evolve; they probably where holding a item to help them evolve since Electivire needs a Electrizer to hold on to while it gets traded or maybe they just have some Pokemon that evolves from trading without evolving from leveling up I'm guessing.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    It's a bit odd. I think some people do trade them to evolve; we know there are means to trade Pokemon from the SS Anne episodes (iirc).

What used to get me though is that there are Pokemon that evolve by friendship- in the wild. But then I figured hey, why can't friendships between Pokemon and Pokemon be catalyst enough for them to evolve?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    An1 remember Misty's Politoed? It held the kings rock and evolved.

That's all folks.

So Pokemon would just have to hold their item or just get stronger to evolve into traded forms. Word of Anime Physics.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    That's all folks.

So Pokemon would just have to hold their item or just get stronger to evolve into traded forms. Word of Anime Physics.
    That makes sense, but its a bit unfair though. If only it was like that for the games, then I would be happy. xD

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I was thinking about making this thread a few days ago xD So yes, I have wondered.

I think there's either a special place to evolve them or you don't need to trade. Or have them holding the item as they battle. Then they evolve after the battle.

Years
    I think pokemon evolve totally different in the anime in regards to trading. Well, not really but I think any pokemon can evolve into it's next form if it's in a tough battle, regardless of if it needs to be traded or not.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Remember the Pokemopolis Gengar? There were no trading machines back then, during the existence of Pokemopolis. So it would have evolved without "trading".

Years
    From Bulbapedia:
    Despite it being one of the key aspects of the games, trading is unusually rare in the anime. Only a few trades have taken place, and only four of them thus far have been truly significant. Fans have often speculated about the reason for this. Rather than simply exchanging Pokémon, most trades are carried out by placing Poké Balls into a specialized trading machine, with a monitor that displays silhouettes of the two Pokémon as they pass each other.
    In Battle Aboard the St. Anne, Ash traded his Butterfree for a Gentleman's Raticate. He wasn't happy with the trade, however, so he traded it back by the end of the episode.
    In Tricks of the Trade, Jessie unintentionally traded her Lickitung for Benny's Wobbuffet.
    In Here's Lookin' at You, Elekid, James is forced by Jessie to trade his Victreebel for the Magikarp salesman's Weepinbell.
    In Throwing the Track Switch, Ash traded his Aipom for Dawn's Buizel.

Guest123_x1

Rather than simply exchanging Pokémon, most trades are carried out by placing Poké Balls into a specialized trading machine, with a monitor that displays silhouettes of the two Pokémon as they pass each other.
    I always thought that in the show, trades were conducted via trading machines, usually at Pokémon Centers, league campuses, or other places where trainers usually hang out. (such as St. Anne)

Years
    Trade evolution doesn't exist in the anime and thank goodness too because it is one of the most unrealistic game aspects. Graveler and Haunter for example can evolve naturally in the wild or in training in the same way as level evolution. Other pokemon that are traded while holding items will evolve just by touching the needed item.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Since the anime doesn't really follow the games, I'll agree with the above post; the Pokemon that evolve without items do so naturally and the ones that do will evolve when they have the item in close proximity.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Pokemon animes didn't include trade evolutions mainly because there is no logic to it. I mean, in games, trade evolutions are there to make friends with people. They are trying to persuade us to make an effort to find someone and befriend and trade pokemons with. While in the anime, Ash can easily make friends and well, i hope you get my point :)

Back