• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Head-scratching moments

Goombario64

Master of Galaxies
Years
There was an AG episode called "Like a Meowth to a Flame" that takes place right before the Hoenn League starts. Team Rocket steals the flame from a Moltres that it used to light the big torch, so Ash moon jumps into their balloon and takes it back. How Ash managed to jump into their balloon has always bothered me...

lol Ash pulled a Mario.

...he seems to do that a lot. Yeah, big head scratch moment there.

For me, it's always bothered me how many times that type immunities aren't always consistent. Sure, you have the Onix in Ash's Pewter City rematch that were affected by Pikachu because they it got wet. But even in Best Wishes, there was a time in Best Wishes (somwhere, idk where) when a Normal type was hit with a Ghost-type move. These things have happened in literally every series from OS to BW, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
For some reason, Ash often uses Pokemon that would be weak to the opponent for no reason. I'm pretty sure it's Ash being rather cocky, but, still...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 20, 2017
Can someone explain to me how on earth in the first season of anime even after ash's charmander evolved into charmeleon, there was an episode in some ice cave after some days where all of his pokemon came out for sharing body heat AND charmander was one of them. Did he reverse evolve or something?? Huh?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I just looked it up and you're thinking of Snow Way Out, which, yes, was broadcast after Charmander's evolution. But they were not produced nor intended to be shown in that order- it was because of the hiatus caused by Electric Soldier Porygon that things ended up getting mixed around and confused. And when the US aired the episodes, they apparently just followed the Japanese broadcast order rather than production order. SO, it makes sense! But it's kinda weird.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
How does Ash constantly beat Team Rocket? Wobbuffet is vastly superior to every Pokemon Ash has, and it should be able to destroy him on a daily basis. However, TR being proficient made Unova unbearable, so maybe I shouldn't complain about this...(also hey Slayr!)

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
You mean the Serena in XY? o_o;;

She's modeled off of the female player character in the XY games and is a new character this season.

Unless you're talking about Misty?

No he means Serena remembers Ash from back when she lived in Kanto (Moms famous in Kanto, Serena played with Ash as a kid). But it's new to the anime, it wasen't shown back in the first series to answer the question.

Idk, I just started Kalos (on Ep 4) and how the heck the guy (cant remember his name) has all these machines, at the right moment, even huge ones, baffles me. And when Ash is suprised when the static electricty healed dedenene when it helped Pikachu too way back when.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2015
Or, you know, how Ash, trainer of an electric type Pikachu for 17 years, didn't think to use Pikachu's electricity for Dedenne!

Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 19, 2014
Why dose Giovanni keep Jessie and James on Team Rocket after their Countless failed attempts at stealing any pokemon is beyond me.

Years
No he means Serena remembers Ash from back when she lived in Kanto (Moms famous in Kanto, Serena played with Ash as a kid). But it's new to the anime, it wasen't shown back in the first series to answer the question.

Idk, I just started Kalos (on Ep 4) and how the heck the guy (cant remember his name) has all these machines, at the right moment, even huge ones, baffles me. And when Ash is suprised when the static electricty healed dedenene when it helped Pikachu too way back when.

Oh. Well that was supposed to be s flashback to a time before the anime, anyway, so it wouldn't have been shown since ash is the non aging wonder and it was an event from before his 7 some years of being 10, haha.

As for that second bit, Clemont/Citron is taking advantage of an animation concept called hammerspace. You see it employed more in older Western Saturday morning shows.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Adding to the hammerspace thing- remember that Brock and Cilan could pull full-sized tables and an excessive amount of kitchenware out of nowhere at well. :P

codem8kr

Team Rocket Boss....
Years
How does Ash constantly beat Team Rocket? Wobbuffet is vastly superior to every Pokemon Ash has, and it should be able to destroy him on a daily basis. However, TR being proficient made Unova unbearable, so maybe I shouldn't complain about this...(also hey Slayr!)

Completely agree with you on this.
Wobbuffet is a fantastic pokemon. It is shown in the anime as holding its own against an Articuno...yet it has trouble dealing with a tiny little Pikachu? Please!
As for TR being successful in Unova....I didn't like it.
I love them when they're screaming, blasting off across the sky. They're what keeps the anime going for me. Hopefully, they go back to the way they were in Season 2-10, failing miserably and having a hard time.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
Two Pokedex-related things that have been bothering me lately:

1) Professor Oak sends Ash out into the World to complete the Pokedex. A noble quest, Except every Pokemon Ash encounters is already in the Pokedex (even if it doesn't have info, then it at least knows the name and has a picture). Thanks Professor...

2) Ash is constantly checking what Pokemon are, even if he has encountered them before. I can understand this is so children that only catch a few episodes will know the names of a few Pokemon; and thus endear them to the franchise more.

Completely agree with you on this.
Wobbuffet is a fantastic pokemon. It is shown in the anime as holding its own against an Articuno...yet it has trouble dealing with a tiny little Pikachu? Please!
As for TR being successful in Unova....I didn't like it.
I love them when they're screaming, blasting off across the sky. They're what keeps the anime going for me. Hopefully, they go back to the way they were in Season 2-10, failing miserably and having a hard time.
I just hate how they keep dubbing "Counter!" instead of saying Mirror Coat (when Woobuffet is obviously sending a special attack back).

codem8kr

Team Rocket Boss....
Years
What exactly is a Pokemon Master?

Completely debatable, its something that has confounded all of us lol.
On one hand, it could mean to capture every known pokemon and whatever other ones haven't been 'discovered'.
Or it could just mean to be the best pokemon trainer you can be (which is my opinion).

Or it could be something else entirely....

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
I think people from the Pokemon world are way too brave to seem real... not worried...
I wasn't aloud to camp out by myself and journey by myself till way after turning 10!
What do the young trainers parents think they are doing?????????

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
I got to agree, rtlerer. It's very interesting how Professor Oak doesn't seem that concerned that Ash is traveling out in a world full of dangerous monsters when he can't even control his own and seems to have no clue what he is doing. Even his mom doesn't.

One of the most baffling moments for me is when Misty fishes Ash and Pikachu out of the water in the very first episode (at 16:21):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyREGlXE8Zo[/ame]

Does she have super strength? Is that fishing pole made out of a non-existent material?

Last edited:
Years
-Why is Team Rocket still after Pikachu?
-How could Ash win most of his gym battles in Kanto?

Those two are two of the biggest head-scratching moments for me lol

Back