• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS Help Thread

Crazyhand

Always up for battle! VM me!
    Years
    What's teh best ball to use for catching latias? It eludes me more...
    I'm catching it for a friend who recently lost theirs :).

Premier by far. I laugh at all who use anything above pokeball.
    Try a scizor with false swipe and you can also paralyze it with some other pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Or, a more serious answer:

- If it's on HeartGold, and it's roaming: Fast Ball, Quick Ball, or if you trap it, do it at night with Dusk Balls, and if it lasts for a very long time, Timer Balls.

- If it's on SoulSilver and it's stationary, just Fast Balls (it has base 110 speed), Dusk Balls (do it at night), Timer Balls.

But the idea about False Swipe (Scizor is brilliant due to it's massive attack stat and resistance to Latias' moves), and paralysis, is very sound advice. If it's roaming, you'll need something that can either outspeed to use Mean Look, or has a trapping ability (Dugtrio can learn False Swipe, so get one with Arena Trap). However, you need to keep your trapper alive at all times.

jolty94

N*RGY
    Years
    Hey, ummm, ever since i bought HeartGold i never got bored of it until about a month ago, and i just don't know what to do now :/ i've done everything... Like, i could train my pokémon and battle online but i just don't see the point... Like, i need motivation... :/

Crazyhand

Years
    Years
    am I ready to battle red for the first time. My team are:

Ampharos level 60
    pidgeotto level 19
    politoaed level 50
    onix level 34
    houndoom level 32
    ivysaur level 25.

Please help me. My starter was meganium I messed him up. I delete magical leaf by accident and replace it with something that heal status problems. What level are reds pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    No way will you manage, sorry.

Red's team:

Pikachu lv.88
    Lapras lv.80
    Venusaur,Blastoise,Charizard lv.83
    Snorlax lv.85

I may be slightly wrong, but they're all between Pikachu and Lapras' levels, which I definitely got right.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    No lol, you obviously need more training, Red's pokemon are level 80-88. Snorlax can easily thrash you, train more.

Crazyhand

Years
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.
    This is not a ROM! This is a legit Soul Silver bought at Gamestop!
    This only happens in the Pal Pad, whenever I try to go to page 3 the game freezes, I've gotten to page 4 by tapping the button a the top, but no matter what I do I can't access page three. The game will freeze before it scrolls over, but the arrow on the right (or left for page 4) will turn white. I get the feeling that if I delete a page full of entries page 2 will become frozen and not three.
    Does anyone know any fixes?

No Hax whatsoever, only some traded pokemon from a ROM is all. But I've had those pokemon for months now.

EDIT: I was right. Now If I try to erase a player on page two it freezes.
    EDIT EDIT: I erased one on page one, and now I can't access page 2.

I hate to re-iterate things, but this is still a problem for me. Obviously I'm having a problem with a glitchy FC on the second page, but I have no idea what to do about it.
    Also, I don't know who's FC it is, if I did I would go on Wi-Fi with them and that would probably fix it. (Or crash my game, either of the two.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the music stays on.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Ok so I'm actually going to need some help catching Ho-Oh. First attempt it actually killed itself while Struggling, 2nd attempt I ran out of every type of Pokeball I had. In both instances I had it critical hp (almost no health) and Paralyzed. This is the Pre-elite 4 Ho-Oh in Heart Gold that is level 45, and yes I know you can defeat it at this point and come back after the Elite 4, but I want to capture it now. Also I do not want to use my Master Ball on it.

First off does it matter what my own Pokemon levels are in relation to the Ho-oh? Like if I'm higher level than it will it be more likely to be caught?

Even still I left the Bell tower and raised up my team a bit more this is what it looks like:
    Magnezone lv.40
    Poliwrath lv.40
    Arcanine lv. 38
    Heracross lv. 39
    Alakazam lv. 39
    Mamoswine lv. 38

my strategy I use Thunder Wave right off the bat to get it Paralyzed, as it usually tries to get Sunny Day up first. Magnezone doesn't last too long after that, but I weaken it that best I can... I then switch to Arcanine who resists all Ho-Oh's fire attacks with it's Flash Fire ability... i generally can PP waste it pretty good while weakening it... when it runs out of Fire moves that leaves it with Extrasensory and Sunny Day as all that is left so I ussually switch to Alakazam and start Calm Minding up to maybe +5 sp. def... it can't kill me as I just recover off any damage... while chucking all the Ultras I have.... and it still won't be caught ussually breaking out right away.

I mean I have a lv 70 Zapdos I got in a trade from a friend... I can bring it along if it will help having a higher lv Pokemon to increase the catch rate... but I was hoping I wouldn't have to use that Pokemon....

Last edited:

Crazyhand

Years
    https://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/false_swipe : a list of pokemon that learn false swipe. Paralysis is good. Sounds like you need timer balls, but I wouldn't recommend it based on the fact that it'll hurt your pride if you don't use premier balls. (I had 160 when I faced Ho-oh from SS, I had to soft-reset thrice because of struggle.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    First off does it matter what my own Pokemon levels are in relation to the Ho-oh? Like if I'm higher level than it will it be more likely to be caught?

[...]

I mean I have a lv 70 Zapdos I got in a trade from a friend... I can bring it along if it will help having a higher lv Pokemon to increase the catch rate... but I was hoping I wouldn't have to use that Pokemon....
    Only if you plan to try Level Balls, received from Kurt when you give him Red Apricorns. If my math is correct, then your level 70 Zapdos will add a 2x catch rate to the Level Ball.

But really, you can try to use whatever Poke ball you'd like. Some people have more luck with Poke/Premier, while others go for Ultra, and others go for the specialty ones. Sp try a variety of ones.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2010
    Is there a bug in Safari Zone Link?

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place.

Months ago, in Heart Gold, I set up the necessary blocks (10 Forest + 18 Rock) in Meadow to get Riolu. Like most people (and all the advice I've found on the 'net), I gave up waiting and GTS'd a Lucario after I'd seen one in the Elite 4 post Red. I just left the blocks sitting there.

I'm now playing Soul Silver, and decided to use the Safari Zone Link to get into the Heart Gold Safari Zone. It work fine at first; I got Spheal, Solrock, Torkoal, and in Meadow there were plenty of Nosepass and Nuzleaf showing that there were the right blocks there for Riolu. (And the blocks had been set up for well over 70 days – since 24 April).

But I've spent literally hours traipsing around the Meadow Zone and not seen a single Riolu!

So the question is: has anyone actually seen a Riolu in the Safari Zone? Or has everyone just traded theirs? Everyone knows that there can be bugs in games (even Pokemon!) so is this one of them? Is it a problem with the Safari Zone Link rather than the Zone itself? Or is it just that the encounter rate for Riolu is insanely low?

Any help gratefully received.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2010
    Is there a bug in Safari Zone Link?

Yeah, I know I've put in more peak/rock than necessary, but that's never been a problem before.

elroid

Noob
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2010
    The peak and rocks have to be put for more than 70 days in the meadow to allow you to encounter one riolu. The number in serebii is the minimum requirement that you have to get. If you have done them right then you should have no problem unless you are not lucky enough to meet one. I tried to spend 5 hours to meet the first beldum in safari zone. So maybe luck matters or your day counts in safari has been messed up during the period.

Years
    I want to know something. I went across mt silver and I haven't find a single heart scale. Does anyone know where is a good place for heart scale hunting? I need it for my meganium. So I can replace a move.

Back