• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn Champions: Steven or Wallace?

Steven or Wallace ?

• Steven

Votes: 110 84.0%
  • Wallace

Votes: 21 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Domo Genesis

This is Beautiful, This is Art
    Years
    Are you sure you don't mean milotic? Wallace doesn't have a suicune. Also blaziken should have had no problem with aggron aslong as you can land a fighting move on it. I never liked some of steven's team much though. The only champion who never used a monotype team that I actualy liked was cynthia.

Don't get me wrong, a ground,rock,steel team is great but I'd make a few things different.

oops, i meant Milotic. I was just thinking about suicune at the time. xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    Wallace was easy to beat and nothing special. Steven has a much better personality (although he was easy to beat too :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I like Steven better than Wallace, but I do prefer Wallace as Champion, and Steven as the trainer you get to fight after. Since he's much more stronger and seemingly a little mysterious, or rather interesting?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    Steven and Wallace are definitely both really tough as champions. But, I think Steven is a tad tougher. I really don't think it makes much sense to have a champion specialize in the same type as the last gym leader. Maybe if the last gym wasn't a Water-type gym, it would make a little more sense.

Years
    As a champion, I believe Wallace is better as he doesn't seem to go on journeys or leave the gym/E4 unless it is an emergency. Steven, however was represented better in Emerald, helping the player out at Mossdeep and then found in Meteor Falls. He just doesn't suit the champion position as a champion would not be out wandering for no reason (even though Cynthia and Alder do).

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2015
    I prefer Steven, because Juan and Wallace use the same type of Pokemon and i like Steel type :)

Xperious

Ty Will kill you!
    Years
    I don't think a champion should have just a basic type of pokemon. I much prefer Steven as champion because he uses steel.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I prefer Steven. Water seems like a pretty anticlimactic type for a champion, for one. Second, I'm used to Steven being champion, since I own Ruby and Sapphire, and not Emerald. Third, Emerald came later, and as an updated re-release, I feel should have less canonical value compared to the original. Unfortunately, that isn't so. This annoys me with Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald, though not so much with Platinum.

EDIT: I also don't believe in Juan. He's an unnecessary placeholder retcon used to fill in another, much more pointless retcon.

Last edited:

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
    Years
    Steven for sure. His team is plain better. If your team was like Wallace any old trainer with a decently trained team of electric pokemon can probably send you packing..

With that said Rayquaza+Thunderbolt pretty much makes Wallace a joke, sure you have to heal sometimes but if you chose Mudkip and he's at a good enough level you can always swap him out if you need to revive Rayquaza. Steven on the other hand with Cradily and Giga Drain pretty much leaves Swampert barely alive if at all and with the way I play pokemon games that makes things tough.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Steven. Though I have to admit that because I didn't have a true Electric type on my Emerald (I had Girafarig) and I was horribly underleveled so I had a problem with Wallace. Still, while I do like Wallace and his cape was pretty awesome, I just find Steven to have a better place as Champion of the Hoenn region than Wallace. He was just fine with being the Eighth Gym leader. I do see why they decided to change is so they had someone of a 'Red' (Steven with his level 70 team) in Emerald, but idk. Steven being the first one with the 'steel' type in the Pokemon League definitely had more of an impact than Wallace, in which we had Lorelei with her Water/Ice Pokemon, as well as Lance with Gyarados in the earlier generations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back