• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Honey trees

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • On many routes and roads throughout Sinnoh there was a vast amount of special trees. With the trees, we were able to smother honey onto them to attract pokemon, some common and some not so common, to that area. While this was a great way of obtaining uncommon pokemon, did you use it? How did you like it, what are some of your thoughts on this concept? If you did use it, whats sorts of Pokemon did you catch, if any.

I didn't use Honey Trees much. I'd occasionally slather some Honey onto trees I encoutnered along my journey if I had any spare honey in my bag, but often woud forget to check the trees and eventually ditch them altogether. I found waiting to be quite boring, as for me somehow, even if I did slather honey and wait, I'd never encounter any pokemon. The few ones I did encounter were unfortunately extremely common to that area or Pokemon that I didn't like -- Except for cherubi, which I found after randomly clicking a honey tree, thinking it hadn't had any honey slathered onto it.

Years
  • rarely use it.
    the twelve hours or so wait time was annoying, but easily countered by tree hugging before bed.

usually found a Combee or a Burmy, with an Aipom being the next common. used the GTS to get the other stuff when these games were newer.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I rarely utilized the feature because I wasn't even sure how to make Pokemon appear. I'd put some honey, wait, and nothing. It was very frustrating and I didn't want to put up with it.
    I might have caught a Burmy through this method, but simply by chance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used the Honey Trees almost any chance I got. I was able to catch all of the available Pokemon in the trees, even Munchlax (only once). The concept was okay, but there were times when the 6-12 hour long wait annoyed me.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Very rarely did I use Honey trees, and I honestly found them to be kind of silly. I remember the first time I ever checked one, I was very lucky and found a Munchlax, which I captured and used for the rest of my playthrough. Other than that, however, I nearly always forgot which trees I had slathered with Honey, if I remembered to come back and check them at all. I think this mechanic would have been better executed if the Pokemon was summoned instantly like it is with Headbutt.

Years
  • I really never used Honey Trees much. I did in the beginning, but just sort of forgot about them as the game progressed.

I like the idea of it though, its like headbutt in a way.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I don't recall using them all too much because I frequently forgot about them whenever I set one up, haha. By the time I remember that I put honey on a tree, the Pokemon would be gone and I'd have just lost some honey. And I guess I wasn't all too interested in the Pokemon you could get through this method, outside of Heracross and Cherubi.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
    Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I remember when I first tried it I thought it was kind of a clever concept, but then I became burned out on it very quickly.

I think the wait time was just a little too long. That said, every time I did use it I would get lucky and encounter a pretty good Pokemon (for the tree of course, not in general), so I guess it was a fair trade.

Years
  • I used Honey Trees a bit in Platinum, where I managed to get a female Combee. She's now a Vespiquen resting in my SoulSilver.

I managed to catch everything EXCEPT Munchlax, I just couldn't get one. (Guide dang it!)

The time wait was a bit annoying for me, I'd say.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • HORRIBLE. I would really love to know what they were thinking when they thought Honey Trees were a good method of obtaining Pokemon. I would really just LOVE to know. Please.

Years
  • Honey trees are nice,it was quite fun to catch pokes with them :3 just slather and turn on the alarm clock of your poketch to go back after 6 hours and get your poke :P But yeah,waiting can be pretty boring,but i think it worths it :3

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
  • I thought they were meh. I was always forgetting to check and I forgot where I put my honey and there was never anything good in there anyway so EUGHH

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • i was into these honey trees but later lost interest cos the same Pokemon keep popping out

Years
  • I always forgot about them. I only remembered about them like a week later. It was very annoying because I always wasted my money. Eventually I just stopped buying the honey.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • I bought the honey for novelty purposes (What's my character gonna do if he has over 100,000 Poké to spend?)

Anywho, the honey trees were very annoying, with the wait times and such. Plus, the first Pokémon I found via this method was a shiny Burmy. Didn't have any Poké Balls at the time. Next time I tried it, found a Combee, but it was male. After that, I just used the GTS (back when everyone wasn't requesting a freaking Dialga/Deoxys/Mewtwo LV 100 for a LV 20 Piplup) to get a female Combee.

Those trees are aggravating.

Dinosaurs Eat at White Castle

I like superheroes.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2012
    Headbut > Honey Trees. Period.

I don't remember about Platinum, but in D/P, buying the honey was like buying coins at the Game Corner in R/B/Y. -_-

Plus I always got Wurmple when I really wanted a Heracross.

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    I don't know about you guys, but i loved the concept.
    I thought it was very creative and i used it often. Every morning i'd check the trees before school, slather them with honey, then after school i'd check them again.

I did it for fun, and it helped me fill my pokedex out.

But if you want it to gain pokemon fast, well.. you're out of luck. But it's very useful when you're busy often ^-^

Years
  • No wait period + lots and lots more Pokemon in them trees = SOLID GOLD/HONEY (wait, solid honey is amber, right?) Well, for me anyway. Though through my experience it's a waste. Found nothing but Combees and Wurmples. The Honey Man lied to me-
    ...This sweet, sweet Honey!
    It ain't sweet after a few hours. On a tree, nonetheless. Nastiness.

Back