• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM Feb. 2011] Pokémon Grey [Beta 1 Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
  • Grr... you stole the title for my hack!
    Oh well, you seem to use the name better than I could ever have. Perhaps I could add future Fan Art? But that is probably unlikely. ^ ^

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Grr... you stole the title for my hack!
    Oh well, you seem to use the name better than I could ever have. Perhaps I could add future Fan Art? But that is probably unlikely. ^ ^

If you could that would be great.
    I'm sorry about taking you name, but nowadays a lot of names have been taken...

Why not make your hack Shades of GRAY or just GRAY?

"Grey (often spelled gray in the U.S., see spelling differences) describes the colors ranging from black to white. These, including white and black, are known as achromatic colors or neutral colors. These "new" neutrals have low colorfulness and chroma."

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey

I appreciate your help, but for now the name i'm sticking with is Grey.
    The reasons:

1. It fits well with the dark storyline.
    2. It's the english british spelling.
    3. I just am...

Anyway like before, my reasons aren't very strong or valid...

Baronnecro

AKA TolerantX
    Years
  • oh no I want you to keep YOUR name I meant HE could take that spelling.. (your Grey is perfect for the main character, it's a normal name, and an Earl lol) even thoguh it's confusing HE could name his B/W demake: Pokemon GRAY
    In this case, thank you for starting your mod when you did, astar I don't know how you could have made Grey without "Grey" <--- in this case the character in the game and the word both work. :)

oh BTW I do indeed, have a question: your trainer card for grey has him with blue hair in your avatar image for pokemon grey it has "Grey" with grey (or gray, had to put that in there. lol) hair. which does "Grey" have, grey or blue hair?

Last edited:

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • oh no I want you to keep YOUR name I meant HE could take that spelling.. (your Grey is perfect for the main character, it's a normal name, and an Earl lol) even thoguh it's confusing HE could name his B/W demake: Pokemon GRAY
    In this case, thank you for starting your mod when you did, astar I don't know how you could have made Grey without "Grey" <--- in this case the character in the game and the word both work. :)

oh BTW I do indeed, have a question: your trainer card for grey has him with blue hair in your avatar image for pokemon grey it has "Grey" with grey (or gray, had to put that in there. lol) hair. which does "Grey" have, grey or blue hair?

Yes Trainer Grey does have Blue hair, strange right? wrong...
    In the original Pokémon Games, the character blue doesn't have blue hair and Green doesn't have green.
    It's just his name really, it doesn't reflect his colours.

Update:

It's just a small one at the moment.
    I haven't really had much time to hack currently today as I have to write my Personal Statement for university entry.

It's the textbox from Pokémon HeartGold in my hack!

[HotM Feb. 2011] Pokémon Grey [Beta 1 Released]

Don't worry about the script it's showing.
    I just needed somewhere to show off the textbox.

Enjoy...

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Update:

Yet again, I apologise for the rubbishness of my update.
    You may be thinking you've seen this before, but this is an edit of the Textbox I posted a few days ago.
    I realised that the textbox could be made smaller so it looks better.
    It's not 100% like the HGSS Textbox as the FR Textbox format restricts adding shading to the bottom.
    Also, if you look carefully the enviroment palettes have changed.
    I had a mess around and I found this looked more natural.
    I hope you like it, I know some of you were a fan of the other color.

I've also learnt to add new animations into the game so I'm working on a few of those. :)

Years
  • Graphically, your Hack is supahawesomemegacoolie! As far as the scripts I don't know yet, but of course I' overly convinced that it rocks too!!! :D:D Good luck!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Update:

Yet again, I apologise for the rubbishness of my update.
    You may be thinking you've seen this before, but this is an edit of the Textbox I posted a few days ago.
    I realised that the textbox could be made smaller so it looks better.
    It's not 100% like the HGSS Textbox as the FR Textbox format restricts adding shading to the bottom.
    Also, if you look carefully the enviroment palettes have changed.
    I had a mess around and I found this looked more natural.
    I hope you like it, I know some of you were a fan of the other color.

I've also learnt to add new animations into the game so I'm working on a few of those. :)
    Damn you. I was hoping to be the first to post a HG/SS textbox xD
    Anyways, the hack looks great. Keep it up!

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • How about animating the battle backgrounds. Like the water can continuously flow or something like that!:cool:

That certainly would be an interesting feature, but one I and many others could only dream of.
    It would require extensive ASM knowledge which in my current mind, I lack.

i think he actually meant tile animations :P

Yes I did, I've been using Tileset Animation Editor to add in some more stuff.
    I want this hack to have a really nice feel.

Graphically, your Hack is supahawesomemegacoolie! As far as the scripts I don't know yet, but of course I' overly convinced that it rocks too!!! :D:D Good luck!

If you're looking for scripts please check out the video I posted in the first post.

Damn you. I was hoping to be the first to post a HG/SS textbox xD
    Anyways, the hack looks great. Keep it up!

:D I seem to beat a lot of people to things lately!
    As for the hack, I can only hope it reaches every expectations.

News:

I've been stuck on Mac OS X all day today.
    I've been downloading an update and the new version of Xcode (iPhone development SDK) meaning no hacking has been possible.
    I know you can hack on Mac but it's just a hassle to do so.
    I shall be back working on it tomorrow, so look forward to some form of update soon. :)

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2021
    got any room for one more person on your development team?

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Waoh, you hack on a mac?! Same here, except I also have limited time on a PC, so it's kinda sweet.

How do you hack? What programs do you use to be able to run exe's on your mac?

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • got any room for one more person on your development team?

Currently I have no jobs for an extra team member, but if you PM me proof of your work, etc. I can see what skills you have.

Waoh, you hack on a mac?! Same here, except I also have limited time on a PC, so it's kinda sweet.

How do you hack? What programs do you use to be able to run exe's on your mac?

I rarely hack on Mac OSX due to me only being able to run .exe's through Darwin.
    I don't know if there is a better way of doing it nowadays.
    Due to my Mac being intel based and new (:D) I have it bootcamped to run Windows 7.
    That's where I do most of my hacking for Pokémon Grey.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • I rarely hack on Mac OSX due to me only being able to run .exe's through Darwin.
    I don't know if there is a better way of doing it nowadays.
    Due to my Mac being intel based and new (:D) I have it bootcamped to run Windows 7.
    That's where I do most of my hacking for Pokémon Grey.
    Arrgh! I envy you!
    Right now, I have BootCamp on my Mac but no Windows Start Up disk to allow me to boot camp! Why do you beat me at everything????

And, to keep this on topic of thread rules, I like the old level script you made with team rocket (You know, that one in the video). I have yet to make level scripts, so this is very encouraging!

SignZ

Yondaime
    Years
  • This hack looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to playing the first beta. :D
    One question tho: Why those Pokemon as starters? :P

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Arrgh! I envy you!
    Right now, I have BootCamp on my Mac but no Windows Start Up disk to allow me to boot camp! Why do you beat me at everything????

And, to keep this on topic of thread rules, I like the old level script you made with team rocket (You know, that one in the video). I have yet to make level scripts, so this is very encouraging!

I don't beat you at everything.
    I think great minds think a like. :)

As for the level scripts, there my favourite type. You don't have to lay tonnes of script tiles on the floor with level scripts. :P

This hack looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to playing the first beta. :D
    One question tho: Why those Pokemon as starters? :P

Thanks.
    Erm... Well I choose them because I didn't want the usual starters.
    After playing Pokémon as long as I have, I felt something harder to use was needed.

SignZ

Yondaime
    Years
  • I don't beat you at everything.
    Thanks.
    Erm... Well I choose them because I didn't want the usual starters.
    After playing Pokémon as long as I have, I felt something harder to use was needed.
    Ok, good point. You know what starters would have been nice, too? Fire, Water and Grass evolutions of Eevee (although it could be hard to insert the Grass one).
    Another group could be: Ghastly, Tyrogue and Abra. :D

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Ok, good point. You know what starters would have been nice, too? Fire, Water and Grass evolutions of Eevee (although it could be hard to insert the Grass one).

I personally like the starters he chose. Breloom is on of my favorites along with Corphish, I don't care much for Numel but not a bad choice. Ghastly, Abra and Tyrogue is a terrible group either way. There is a major balance issue what wth the different evolution times and attack varieties. I say Astar leaves the starters as is.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Ok, good point. You know what starters would have been nice, too? Fire, Water and Grass evolutions of Eevee (although it could be hard to insert the Grass one).

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll stick with the 3 I chose.
    I mean they all have things in common.

-They have 2 evolutions each.
    -They're all from the same region.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas aren't bad, it's just my mind is set.

I personally like the starters he chose. Breloom is on of my favorites along with Corphish, I don't care much for Numel but not a bad choice. Ghastly, Abra and Tyrogue is a terrible group either way. There is a major balance issue what wth the different evolution times and attack varieties. I say Astar leaves the starters as is.

I happen to also love Shroomish and Breloom along with Corphish.
    I started playing Pokémon on Generation 3 so I have a particular fondness towards Hoenn Pokémon.
    I'm keeping the starters the same, they're original.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back