• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How can I change the player's name halfway through the game with some scripting?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Hi, I want the player to be able to pick their own name at the start of a romhack I'm making, but halfway through the game, it's supposed to automatically change itself to something else. What is the coding for this?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    Hey, I figured I would quote a post in the Quick Research and Development Thread. :)

To anyone who is interested, callasm 0x09FC91 to name yourself in overworld.
    FireRed Only.

~Sonic1

Look at the code in that offset and try to figure it all out. :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    So, I could use this coding to automatically set a character's name to... "Ash", for example? (Could I change it back to what it once was in a later cutscene?)

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Wait, so you want to change the player's name to a set name that you (as the creator) chose? Or do you want to allow the player to choose a new name?

The first one. The name is set to something I, the creator, choose. It will be changed back afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    You'll need a simple piece of asm for that.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • You won't be able to do it via scripting at all, since the name is part of the player data save structure (which is dynamic).

Back