• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How can you improve Ash/Satoshi?

Years
I've really only seen Indigo (and currently re-watching it) but I'm sure hoping he gains some competence. He's a fun character but he's a bit of an idiot most times. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
That 'living vicariously' bit is sadly true since most fans here and on other fansites (even if they try to deny it) mainly want Ash to win so that they can get secondhand enjoyment out of it. The plot doesn't matter to them as long as they can see Ash win another trophy that ultimately would just collect dust on a shelf in Delia's living room.

What I want is for Ash to actually succeed in his goal. And if that means having him win a League, so be it. They should have defined his goal so we at least know the endgoal. Unfortunately, we don't have a concrete definition thanks to the writers, so winning a league, not to mention beating the Elite 4, is the closest we're EVER going to get to him accomplishing his goal. The point of goals is to accomplish them, after all.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Age him and let him grow. By giving him a older age you can explore more with him. A 13yr old Ash would be dealing with different stuff than a 10 yr old Ash. The fact the anime is afraid to do this bugs me. Personally that is why I liked OS-DP. It felt like Ash was growing up. But of course BW came in ruining it for us. (Since technically prior Ash still being 10 had never been mentioned)

Technically I guess he could, but if his journey will continue regardless of him winning or losing then I don't see what the point of him winning would be other than his fans living vicariously through his victory.

I mean we know of the champion league. So even if he did win a regular league he still has more to do. Heck we have even seen champions travel. I'd see it as even if Ash won a league he could lose that champion league only to win the next one but still travel since other regions could be even stronger and he can learn more.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Age him and let him grow. By giving him a older age you can explore more with him. A 13yr old Ash would be dealing with different stuff than a 10 yr old Ash. The fact the anime is afraid to do this bugs me. Personally that is why I liked OS-DP. It felt like Ash was growing up. But of course BW came in ruining it for us. (Since technically prior Ash still being 10 had never been mentioned)

I mean we know of the champion league. So even if he did win a regular league he still has more to do. Heck we have even seen champions travel. I'd see it as even if Ash won a league he could lose that champion league only to win the next one but still travel since other regions could be even stronger and he can learn more.

Yeah, agreed on both fronts. And quite frankly, the fact that Alola didn't even HAVE gyms would have made it worth letting Ash win Kalos and win an in-game league just for once. At least there, there actually WOULD be some rhyme and reason for him to essentially "take a vacation" via Alola. Instead, they had him lose in the most pointless manner possible, and worse, they even lied about him possibly winning. I'm not quite as upset that Ash is still 10 in BW, mostly because those eyecatchers already made it clear since AG that Ash was still 10, but I am still pretty irritated that they don't even bother aging him even when time clearly passed between sagas.

Not to mention, they could have had him lose against the Elite 4, then take a break, and then resume his goal, win, then beat the first Elite 4 and then lose, lather rinse and repeat until he gets the title of Champion, and then they can end the series.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Yeah, agreed on both fronts. And quite frankly, the fact that Alola didn't even HAVE gyms would have made it worth letting Ash win Kalos and win an in-game league just for once. At least there, there actually WOULD be some rhyme and reason for him to essentially "take a vacation" via Alola. Instead, they had him lose in the most pointless manner possible, and worse, they even lied about him possibly winning. I'm not quite as upset that Ash is still 10 in BW, mostly because those eyecatchers already made it clear since AG that Ash was still 10, but I am still pretty irritated that they don't even bother aging him even when time clearly passed between sagas.

Not to mention, they could have had him lose against the Elite 4, then take a break, and then resume his goal, win, then beat the first Elite 4 and then lose, lather rinse and repeat until he gets the title of Champion, and then they can end the series.

Yeah they clearly have confirmed time passing via Dawn doing the Wallace Cup a second time. As for the whole "We want kids to connect with Ash." when I was 10 I connected with characters that were not 10. Heck I connected with adults in a lot of shows. So I really don't buy that line they use. For example kids idolize super heroes and most if not all are adults. Or they idolize celebs who most of the time are adults or at least teens.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I love how so many people are like "pair him with best girl. that is all", like, same. Except I wanted him with Serena so much.

I personally want to see him be written a little bit older one of these times.

They kinda did that with Hoenn, I feel. He seemed a bit older in Hoenn and B&W, IMO, and recently he's been made to look younger. Which is neat, but it would be interesting to see him played in a slightly older, cooler type of way.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah, age him up a little! Put him in a mentor position! Let him show all his experience! He can still be ambiguously pre-teen-ish but a little bit more mature? He's learned so much over the years let him use it lol

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Yeah, age him up a little! Put him in a mentor position! Let him show all his experience! He can still be ambiguously pre-teen-ish but a little bit more mature? He's learned so much over the years let him use it lol

Ooh have you seen the Piwer of Us movie?

Ash was a great mentor <33

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Ash/Satoshi is archetypical shounen protagonist. he has all the hot blood of youth, love for battling, determination, and belief in his friends to push him forward.

The pokemon anime can be enjoyed by all ages, but there's no denying that the show is made for kids. Ash doesn't need to change, he's perfect the way he is in terms of the show. But there in lies the problem, people who grew up with the show want him to grow up with them. But he never does.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Ooh have you seen the Piwer of Us movie?

Ash was a great mentor <33
You weren't talking to me, but I'm replying anyway because I also haven't seen it yet..... but now I will watch.

But there in lies the problem, people who grew up with the show want him to grow up with them. But he never does.
I used to want that, but then Digimon Tri did it, and that was really cool, but I don't want people to be like POKEMON IS COPYING DIGIMON.
Like just age Ash art-style wise in a season or two sometime, and call it good. Lol

Back