• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How did you defeat Cynthia's Garchomp?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 31, 2015
It was pretty easy for me. I'm pretty good at battling, if I do say so myself, and my Infernape was just a bit too overleveled... (Lvl 83) It had Flare Blitz, Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw and Return. I used DC on the Garchomp and it was a OHKO! I was pretty happy about it. The rest of her team was a breeze. Dat Infernape's physical attack doe...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 14, 2019
It took me a few attempts in Diamond as it was my time to play any of the Pokémon games plus I didn't know any of the Sinnoh Pokemon. I didn't understand the theory of levelling up all pokemon together XD I had a Lv 83 Torterra and the rest were in around the Lv. 35-40 mark. I used Ice Shard from my Snover (XD) and then a few Energy Balls (with some Healing Items....) and eventually killed it

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 20, 2016
I slapped a Focus Sash on my Mamoswine, and used Avalanache to KO. This was after he had one shotted my team ~3 times.

HawksFan97

I'm Still Alive!
Years
I have to say, Battling with the great Cynthia isn't easy at all, to start, I didn't have a solution to garchomp' weakness to Ice. My entire team had a weakness to Ice except for my Gastrodon, who still couldn't get the job done with her other pokemon. However Lucario was easy with my Orion (Staraptor) using a Brave Bird and Close Combat to finish the job. However during the Garchomp encounter I realized that having my owm Garchomp out wasn't the smartest idea, but it was faster then Cynthia's by using Dragon Rush and Earthquake to *Eventually* get the job done (also while using 3 hyper potions in the process), Her last pokemon was the oh so lovable Togekiss, who I could live to forget. she had KO'd everyone on my team except, EXCEPT, my Rhydon, which was 12 levels lower then Togekiss (I got it at Victory Road, give me a break). SOMEHOW got a critical using a flamethrower, and beating Cynthia! MY god that battle was both epic and nerve-wracking to say the least. This battle alone took 2 hours to worry, heal, plan, think and repeat. Will definitely train more at Victory Road more often though.
So That was my outing with Cynthia. Now I get why she is the champion of the Sinnoh League

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Two ice punches from Electivire and that thing was out like a light. E-vire was a beast back in the 4th. gen days.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
Years
Any ice-type move. haha Chomp's one weakness is that it crumbles to even subpar ice type moves because of its 4x weakness. So long as you got your attack off, you were guaranteed to at least do a hefty chunk of damage. Getting an attack in could be an issue, though. Weavile is probably the best bet overall for taking Chomp down. Either breed ice punch onto it or sash it and kill with avalanche or ice shard. I guess Froslass works too, actually.

That ground typing is lethal to steel, making pretty much any hope of resisting the thing impossible. All out offense is the way to go.

Of course, you could always hit it with a Draco Meteor. Something tells me Garchomp doesn't exactly take kindly to be smashed by a hurling ball of flaming space debris. (Substitute with RoT from Dialga or Spacial Rend from Palkia where applicable)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I leveled up an Empoleon until it reached level 86. That made life a lot easier for me.

I think I originally beat her due to the same Empoleon, though at about...level 70-something. I've been the type to overprepare >~<

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
Just beat her Garchomp in Pearl, all my Pokemon with super effective moves had fainted so I had to really hammer it with my Infernape's Brick Break >_< But it worked after a long struggle.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
the difference with yours and mine is that mine is a beast.

I prepared the Ice Fang but she OHKOed with a crit Dragon Rush, so Intimidate didn't have any effect. :(

EDIT: Your way is the "safest" way to deal with her. You send in Gyarados when she goes for Earthquake and you score a Intimidate. You take the hit (it'll be Dragon Rush since she doesn't have a Rock move), hopefully it doesn't crit, and you maul her back with 120 BP Avalanche. It will kill Garchomp even if you are, say, L50.

I also prepare a special Pokémon for Ghetsis' Hydreigon whenever I don't feel like overgrinding. That one is even worse since there are only a couple things in BW that wall it.

Last edited:

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
My team consisted of Piplup, Buneary, Chimecho and Pachirisu....let's just say it took me a long time to finally beat Cynthia! My biggest problem was her Mitotic, thankfully Piplup saw me through with Hydro Pump on the millionth time of asking. XD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I prepared the Ice Fang but she OHKOed with a crit Dragon Rush, so Intimidate didn't have any effect. :(

EDIT: Your way is the "safest" way to deal with her. You send in Gyarados when she goes for Earthquake and you score a Intimidate. You take the hit (it'll be Dragon Rush since she doesn't have a Rock move), hopefully it doesn't crit, and you maul her back with 120 BP Avalanche. It will kill Garchomp even if you are, say, L50.

I also prepare a special Pokémon for Ghetsis' Hydreigon whenever I don't feel like overgrinding. That one is even worse since there are only a couple things in BW that wall it.

ya i didn't worry too much about champion cynthia's garchomp until i saw the many forum topics complaining about Cynthia's champ garchomp, my first time trying 4th gen. 1 minute of research gives me that garchomp is ground/dragon... so 4X weak to ice, and has beast attack and speed. when i know garchomp WILL hit first, avalanche is the obvious choice when you see it doubles power if you take a hit. don't know how your gyarados got knocked out, but i see mine has HP still in the green not orange, from a noncrit hit. even the crit hit will only take mine to red, but not out. cynthia's garchomp was not a big threat to me it had no electric attacks, i had more trouble and had to reset more with Lucian's alakazam.

maybe you might have forgotten to do this, but every time before taking the league i always visit the drugstore. i know i have huge loads of cash at that point and making money will be easy once you beat the league, so it is fine to unload all your cash on drugs protein and carbos and watever before taking on the league.

d

Ice Beam from Empoleon. I had overlevelled so Garchomp wasn't faster.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
In one of my more recent playthroughs of Platinum, I did it with Weavile because unlike that moment in the anime, Weavile pretty much beats Garchomp straight up, and the one that i had also had a Jolly Nature and I even EV Trained it with all the ATK and Speed i could give it. I could never get over that scene from the anime so i had to do it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 5, 2016
My Palkia hit Garchomp with a crit blizzard so powerful every gible and gabite in the land keeled over.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
I used my Manaphy's Ice Beam attack to defeat her Pokémon in my first play-through in Pokémon Diamond.

Years
Just completed Platinum and ran to this forum to discuss stuff.
Umbreon is really OP, I defeated half of the Elite Four and Champion Pokemon (including Garchomp) with my level 50 Umbreon with this move set: Toxic, Confuse Ray, Sand Attack, Growl. You just have to use Toxic and then use potions for 6 turns.

Last edited:
Back