• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you use empty space?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • As the title implies, how do you use empty space in maps? Some people leave ridiculous amounts of space, whereas others try and fill up everything.

I usually use some empty space, but put flowers, headbutt trees, etc, to fill up some of it. I try never to use too much though.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • I don't really get this thread. You have to use free space if you're making an extensive hack no matter what way you look at it... :/

honorum646

Master of Crows
    Years
  • I think he's talking about ways to fluff-up scenery in routes/city etc.

I like to put in different landmarks. Caves, city squares, ponds/rivers. Things that draw the player to remember my landscape as MY zone, not a zone just like one in another game.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends on the map --

Routes I can fill with some flowers, and rocks. If it's a sandy beach, then I fill space with large and small rocks.

Mountains I have wide, open space, with lots of large mountain tiles, and a few small/medium rocks.

Forests need lots of flowers, tall grass, and trees. Even if the trees get in the way a bit. I don't leave big open areas in a forest, unless it's a clearing.

Cities/towns I generally have a lot of "open space" but filled with different tiles, like dirt/sand/roads. I never have a problem with big empty areas in cities/towns.

Tl;dr: Not all maps should have lots of open space, or no open space at all. It differs.

Years
  • Hm, this actually has me thinking. When I'm mapping, I tend to fill up free space with flowers or other eye-candy (but usually something the player can walk over, as opposed to something solid like a tree or a rock). If I see a chunk of empty space in a map I just feel compelled to fill it out somehow- but to be honest, it's just a habit. In plenty of the official maps, there's free space in maps (without any form of visual filler). I guess the style of mapping is a factor, along with the tiles.
    This only really applies to outdoor maps, of course- indoor maps are usually really small and so there's rarely any room for excess eye-candy.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Flowers and headbutt trees and fences oh my!

Honestly this is something I have a lot of trouble with. I can get the basic design of a map down, but I find it hard to fill it up.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Slicky git, free space is. I always try to get rid of every possible extra tile that will widen an area, but yet I miss others that properly need covering. Also, considering how I usually aim for GF-styled maps, open spaces are awkward.

Protip: I don't consider passable terrain (like flowers) a practical way of covering empty space, just making it prettier.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I just push the walls in, or add a new wall. Then I add flowers, more trees, paths, wild grass, etc. and before you know it The map is cramped beyond anything else except maybe zein's maps. If you don't belive me take a look:
    Spoiler:

I think I need lessons on how to leave more empty space, like ninja caterpie, or Thrace...

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    Well using empty space in a map is difficult some times. It depends on what your trying to map. Wether it be a route, or a town...each has it's own mapping techniques best suited to it. I mean you can't really fill up a city with trees :/ wouldn't look right. Just have to use common sense and go from there.

Years
  • I tend to automatically fill in empty space when I notice it in my maps. If it's excessive, try adding in extra areas such as alleyways for cities and pathways/jump ledges in routes. There's always a way to fill in empty space but there's also a fine line between filling and over-filling. If anything seems to be over-filled try adding a rock or a tree to use more tiles up rather than one-tile decoration.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2011
    mostly in cities like a big one just add a house with no door then you dont take the troube to make another house map
    routs i just add logs rocks grass and jump ledges

it depends on the person i guess

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • What I do with empty space in maps

I tend to overfill outdoor maps, because I think the more detail a map has, the better it looks. I like to theme my maps depending on whether they're a city or a route—for instance I don't fill a city map with trees unless it's a town like Fortree. I always manage to theme it correctly, and add lots of detail, but I have a problem with filling up large amounts of space, like for instance a 40×40 map. I love adding detail because I think it makes the game a lot more interesting if the game's scripted well and has a good plot.

Last edited:
    Back