• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How good is your vocabulary?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Do you think you have a good vocabulary? How do you think it compares to that of other people your age?

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    I'm pretty sure I have above averge vocabulary. I'm 16, but still, at my age, some people misspell the easiest words..

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I think my vocabulary is good... at least compared to my pupils. I don't try to use obscure words when I talk though. My vocabulary really shines when I write a paper or an essay.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think I have great vocabulary since I spent so much time online growing up! Unfortunately, I don't really use that vocabulary when I'm speaking and only use it when I'm typing. Don't know why.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    My vocabulary is beyond horrid to say the very least, I really should have read more dictionaries while growing up.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Haha, ha, hahaha, ha, no. Mine is absolutely terrible! But then again, I never really cared enough to actually study a dictionary. I can at least communicate my point effectively. So, at least I can do that much. Generally speaking, mine is on par with the general public, which is intentional. If I used words that only a physicist would know, I wouldn't be able to order a Big mac as easily as the little seven year old behind me in line. So I tend to, dumb myself down, if you will. Plus, I honestly believe I would confuse myself if I knew too many big words. :'D
    I'm perfectly fine with asking someone, "What does that word mean?" I have no cares if it makes me look stupid.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Mine is a bit above average for people my age, but not outstanding. I have been known to use big words every now and then, but I'm definitely not some sort of super vocabulary genius, lol.

I seem to know quite a bit of obscure technical terms based on the type of literature I read as a child.

Shinkirō

蜃気楼 // Mirage
    Years
    Fortunately for me I have a pretty diverse and verbose vocabulary.

Like that one, ahaha.

Last edited:
    Years
    You'd think as a writer I'd have awesome vocabulary, but my prose is so beige that I don't use a lot of uncommon words. Really got to work on the prose. :(

So yeah, I merely think it's average. Every once in awhile I learn something new and awesome, but I don't tend to go out of my way to learn new words.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    My vocabulary isn't the widest, but it's good enough to get me through some essays. I still have a lot words to learn about, though.

Years
    I'd say I have a pretty large vocabulary. I do know a lot of words. The only caveat I'd add is that every now and then a word sneaks into my speech that I've never actually heard anyone use before and I'll pronounce it funny. Inevitably it will be in front of people who know the word and how it's meant to be pronounced.

TY

Well, i gotta say mine is pretty large for my classmates, in which they keep getting confused of what i say xD

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
    I hate having to explain what certain words mean every couple of sentences, so I often have to mellow down my vocabulary often.

The best part is that I don't even have a gigantic vocabulary, it's just that a lot of people seem to lack a fair amount of common vocabulary.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Mine is reasonable for when I need to write about transcriptions and other things, but it could do with some work.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    I'd say it's quite vast.

Semi-related, I just passed 60,000 words on dictionary.coms "Word Dynamo" and it has me ranked at the highest level. I play it when I'm bored. ~_~

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Better in Spanish than in English, and much more varied when I write than when I talk. Not surprising though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'd say I have a pretty large vocabulary. I do know a lot of words. The only caveat I'd add is that every now and then a word sneaks into my speech that I've never actually heard anyone use before and I'll pronounce it funny. Inevitably it will be in front of people who know the word and how it's meant to be pronounced.

Haha I used to do that constantly as a kid. My mom always encouraged it when I did it though, because she loved that I was learning words from books lol.

My vocabulary isn't super literary genius outstanding but I know more than enough to outshine some other people my age. I don't bother using it much though, because I think it's pretty dumb to use a huge word on purpose if you know most people don't know it; even if it's faster to say that word instead of explain what you mean, you'll have to do it anyway because they probably won't know it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I think I have a really good vocabulary. I spent five years in high school learning French and it's amazing what learning another language can do for your vocabulary in your primary one. Also, if somebody ever uses a word I don't recognise, I make a note of it and make sure to follow it up so I can learn it.

Back