• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How will you do your first Sun/Moon playthrough?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
  • I noticed that I play Pokemon games very casually. I'm in no rush, but I want to finish. I won't go into every nook and cranny, but I'll hit all the obvious spots. I won't talk to everyone in a city, but everyone in my way. I don't try to catch every Pokemon on a route, but I'll try to catch any new ones I see as I go through the route.
    In other words, I want to get the most out of the story first and then worry about the secrets and the region after I become Champion.

For Sun/Moon, I think I'll actually buy both versions this time. I'll do both with completely different teams (and probably genders). I'll play through one a bit by barreling through the first couple of gyms or so and then switch to the other and catch up, exploring everything and trying out every feature, maybe focusing on Dex completion for that one. Then I'll switch back for the next few gyms.

How do you think you'll play?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'll basically just do a proper playthrough and try completing whatever i can. I'm not really the kind of person who just starts doing something crazy like Nuzlockes or monotype challenges without proper map knowledge.

In my Alpha Sapphire run, I basically just went ham with the explorations and stuff to the point where I did so much exploration after getting the Eon Flute and capturing Kyogre, which meant that a lot of areas opened, as well as other pokemon outside the Hoenn Dex suddenly appearing. I'll be doing the same here at S/M.

I'm thinking of getting the 2 games, where one is my main save file, the one that I'll be doing most of my work with such as online trading, and other interactions. The other will be were I'll be doing a challenge such as Monotypes.

Years
  • I'll play casually without worry about IVs or anything, picking the Pokémon I like and using them on my type-rounded team. Post-game is when I get more into the competitive breeding side and start to replace my old team members, honestly I hardly even make new files too. Took me two years until I decided to restart X for a challenge and I'm still only one badge in.. ha. D:

Years
  • I mostly think of Pokemon that would make a good team, and then I usually plan everything else from there. Still part of my gameplay tradition that won't change for this generation.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • I just play casually.
    But I do tend to grind beyond belief for some reason, but that happens in all the games I play in Pokemon.

I usually end the main storyline within like 72-80 hours. Dunno if that's typical or not cause I see people finishing within like 32 hours

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Go in completely blind. I'll be avoiding spoilers/leaks as much as I can.

That's the best way to play Pokemon for me. I'm also hoping DexNav is back because it makes looking for and catching Pokemon a lot more engaging and fun, and I imagine it'd be particularly amazing when I don't know what kind of Pokemon I'll end up finding.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I'm gonna try and avoid seeing what all the new Pokemon are except the ones that are revealed before the game's release. Therefore, I'm not gonna plan my team in advance like I always do. However, this might be hard because I live in the UK and the game doesn't come out in Europe until almost a week after the other countries.

I'll play the game casually like always, take in as much of the story as possible, catch any species I haven't got yet along the way and focus on completing the pokedex properly after I've beat the main story.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    I will probably trade a Weedle into the game if I can't catch it in game, but from that point forward I will play a traditional nuzlock just to make it a little more challenging.

Jeischita_Homaji

Resident of the Acalia Region
    Years
  • I'm going to take is slow. I am going to explore every area as much as possible! I rushed through X and Y without reaistlly stopping to take in the enviroment so I wont make that mistake this time around.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Go in completely blind. I'll be avoiding spoilers/leaks as much as I can.

That's the best way to play Pokemon for me. I'm also hoping DexNav is back because it makes looking for and catching Pokemon a lot more engaging and fun, and I imagine it'd be particularly amazing when I don't know what kind of Pokemon I'll end up finding.

This. I want to try to make my first playthrough as challenging as possible. I'm going to build a team of Pokémon as I go along. Once I have 5 or 6 I won't swap them out even if some of the Pokémon I chose aren't that strong, but I tend to have an eye for talent ;)

I want to be put in a position where I have to grind and study as if I'm new to Pokémon. That way I get a better sense of accomplishment for beating the champion. On my second playthrough I will try to set up my "monster team" of the strongest Pokémon in the region and go for everything I may have missed the first time around.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I will probably try what I did with Kalos aka catch all the pokemon in the region before E4, Thanks to GTS.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'll try to explore every possible area and actually attempt to capture all the Pokemon available. I took my time with Alpha Sapphire and I thoroughly enjoyed that play style.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Same way I always play new generations. I'll go through slowly, my entire team will be Alola-only Pokemon...that's about it as far as what I make sure to do in a new game. Did I mention how slow I'll play? Because that's a thing...haha. I'm REALLY slow...

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Try and play casually the first time, then after that it's restart-challenge-repeat for me? I really want to get to know the game then make it chakkenging for myself, UNLESS I end up really loving what I did in my casual run (Like I did in Y)

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    I'll play though the story casually, starting with Moon and Litten.
    (I have a tradition of always picking the fire starter for the first play through)
    Not rushing through Alola., catching all new gen 7 Pokemon along the way.
    After the story, complete the dex once again. My second play through
    will likely be Sun. I'll pick whichever final evolution out of Rowlet and
    Popplio I like the most.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Since in a way I'm expecting that we're going to get the exp. share early on, I don't expect the need to grind.

Pokemon Sun- I'll be playing the male character, starting with Litten and catching pokemon I like for my team.
    Pokemon Moon- Female character, starting with Rowlet and basically do the same thing I do in Sun.
    Both- Main Legendary pokemon of the game will be on my final team as I have done this since I began playing pokemon.

First playthrough requires a starter. So I'm using one of the starters on my team. I know everybody does it, but I'm certainly keeping my starter on my team. ...Then for my next playthrough, I'm using anything but the starters. I don't want to get sick of this game. I hope I can play as a ginger. Okay. Bye. :)

Years
  • I've never done something like this before but I have a Level 5 Shiny Zorua ready to trade in and use in my party from the beginning of the game alongside my starter.

Apart from that I'll just try and explore and take in as much of the tropical scenery of Alola whilst doing a bit of grinding and generally enjoying my first playthrough :)

Back