• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you compare your excitement for Sun/Moon to X/Y's release?

Outlier

Your hype might increase or decrease depending on the new information and trailers that come out but as of right now how would you compare your excitement for Sun & Moon's release to the excitement you had for X/Y's release a couple of years ago? Feel free to share your reasons for feeling more or less excited.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    I rarely get hyped for upcoming games—at least not in the traditional sense—and tend to just wait it out and go with the flow, especially if I already made the decision to purchase them even before any trailers come out (call it brand loyalty).

But if I were to compare my reactions to XY's release vs. Sun & Moon's, I would have to say XY intrigued me more on the content side since it was the greatest overhaul of the core series games at least from the aesthetic perspective. Even though Sun & Moon seem to have visual updates of their own, they're not as drastic as say going from BW2 to XY.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    Good question.

Initially with the reveal of Sun and Moon I was excited, but with no content to go off it sort of died down being such a long wait until the first footage. X/Y had footage right from the start which instantly fuelled my excitement for those games. Since the first footage for Sun & Moon was released yesterday, the hype has started up again and I'm so looking forward to learning more about these games. In terms of comparison I'd say it's about the same!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Honestly, I haven't been super hyped for a Pokemon game since like...Diamond and Pearl. I suppose that's part of growing up, at least for me, but I was never much of a hype person to begin with. I mean, I'm excited, but not "holy shit i can't wait until november i need to see every ounce of information that's shown!!" excited.

To be fair, I was pretty excited for Black and White, but it was because I didn't look at any spoilers if possible (yeah, try modding a Pokemon forum and trying to avoid POKEMON spoilers, that's something lol) so by the time I got the game, I was super pumped cause I had avoided looking at most of the Pokemon, I didn't know a lick about the story (probably wasn't a good idea to play in Japanese though because I STILL didn't know the story by the time the English version came around haha) so yeah. I've considered doing that for this generation to see if it helps but? I think I'm convinced I'll feel pretty meh towards the 3DS generations of Pokemon. But we'll see come November.

pkmin3033

Non-existent. Honestly, I'm still fuming at being treated like trash yet again with the unjustified delayed release date; it kills the mood somewhat. I don't even want to think about the games between now and then, really.

But getting hyped for games isn't really my sort of thing anyway, especially not when they're so far away. There is plenty else that looks far better coming out in the near future for me to look forward to instead; these are just two distant blips on the horizon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Right now, I'm far more disappointed about Sun/Moon than hyped. These are supposed to be the big 20th Anniversary games and yet, it looks like they're just going to be another isolated reboot gen with few-to-no connections to previous games, just like RSE, DPP, BW/2, and XY.

I know I should've seen it coming, but I really thought that these games were going to be more than just another DP or XY. That they were going to be special and actually break the tired old formula that GF has been recycling since Gen 3, and that we were going to see tons of past characters and even a past region or two return.

At this point, I'm almost starting to wish that we had gotten a Zygarde game instead.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I was much more hyped for XY. Yes, graphically SM are looking much better than XY. But XY made a huge jump into 3D, making it drastically different from its predecessor. So by comparison it seemed a lot more impressive. And by now for XY, we had seen a lot more stuff, mainly because we got a real reveal trailer right off the bat instead of waiting almost three months after the initial reveal to show anything. Already there were NPCs that appealed to me (Sycamore...) and I think we had already gotten confirmation of Mega Evolutions or Fairy-Type or something.

I think it's just that gen 6 has disappointed me so greatly, that until they reveal something concrete about the features of SM, I won't be on board the hype train.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    My views of X and Y when they were announced were more or less 'meh.' They were announced seemingly right on the heels of B2/W2, and in general they kinda felt rushed. The starters didn't get me that excited, they focused more on Mega Evolution than they did the Pokemon in Kalos, the designs for some of the Pokemon felt uninspired (WHY do we have a key chain Pokemon?!), Team Flare was just meh, and overall it felt more like they rushed through it CoD style just to get it shipped out, and it showed in the final product.

My hype for Sun and Moon though is far more substancial. We have a barn owl Pokemon, as well as an Iromote cat?! We have an Amaterasu lion and a nightmare hell-wyvern?! We get to go to Hawaii and they massively improved the cell-shading and made the games true 3D?! Fudge yeah I'm hyped! After how bleh Gen VI was, it looks like they're trying to fix what's wrong, and there's so much we don't know about the game that could be REALLY awesome if done right. Or really badly if done wrong. If we end up fighting another boring evil team I'm gonna be depressed.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    But we know so little about the games. How do you know that it won't have tons of connections to the previous generations...? It's a bit odd to judge it from the opening sequences of the game which is all they've shown.

It all boils down to the region. It's based on Hawaii, so we can pretty much assume that it will be an isolated entity with no direct links to any other regions, just like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos.

Why base the Sun/Moon region on Hawaii, of all places, if you wanted to link it back to any of the past regions? If it had been, say, Spain or Italy, that would've been a different story since those countries border France and thus open up the possibility of Sun/Moon being XY sequels with a postgame Kalos. But, Hawaii? Doesn't get anymore isolated and disconnected than that.

We might get Looker/Cynthia shoehorned into the games yet again, and we might get some cheap shout outs/references to past games. We might even see a throwaway Gym Leader cameo or two. But, it won't be anything more than we got with RSE, DPP, BW/2, and XY. Definitely not anything comparable to GSC. And, I find this disappointing.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    It all boils down to the region. It's based on Hawaii, so we can pretty much assume that it will be an isolated entity with no direct links to any other regions, just like Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos.

Why base the Sun/Moon region on Hawaii, of all places, if you wanted to link it back to any of the past regions? If it had been, say, Spain or Italy, that would've been a different story since those countries border France and thus open up the possibility of Sun/Moon being XY sequels with a postgame Kalos. But, Hawaii? Doesn't get anymore isolated and disconnected than that.

We might get Looker/Cynthia shoehorned into the games yet again, and we might get some cheap shout outs/references to past games. We might even see a throwaway Gym Leader cameo or two. But, it won't be anything more than we got with RSE, DPP, BW/2, and XY. Definitely not anything comparable to GSC. And, I find this disappointing.
    About that... Hawaii is the midpoint between Japan and America, and if I'm not mistaken it's a popular tourist destination for Japan. Being linked to the Pokemon regions in Japan might actually be plausible, especially regions like Sinnoh or the Sevii Islands.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    Right now, I'm about as hyped for Sun/Moon as I was when X/Y was first announced. I'll be more excited once more Pokemon and features are revealed.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Was completely disappointed with XY's reveal. For all the excitement around it it left me wanting more. It looked more of the same, except in (ugly) 3D with framerate that looked really bad.

Sun/Moon is finally looking like the step forward I've been wanting the series to make, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm on board for the overworld change alone.

Years
    I am most definitely hyped for this game than I was for X/Y, probably because X/Y felt so unfinished and Game Freak needed to flesh out more. 7th Gen does look like the first generation I was this excited for since uh, 5th Gen.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    About that... Hawaii is the midpoint between Japan and America, and if I'm not mistaken it's a popular tourist destination for Japan. Being linked to the Pokemon regions in Japan might actually be plausible, especially regions like Sinnoh or the Sevii Islands.

I'd agree with that if not for the fact that the Japanese regions weren't even connected with each other outside of Kanto and Johto. Hoenn and Sinnoh were just as isolated and disconnected from Kanto and Johto (and each other) as Unova and Kalos.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    They were kind of close.

How would you compare your excitement for Sun/Moon to X/Y's release?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    But, not in the games. Neither RSE or DPP brought back any older regions in the postgame, nor were they direct sequels to older games. And, RSE had no returning characters whatsoever, while DPP only had a few.

In the geographic sense, Hoenn and Sinnoh were closer to Kanto than Unova and Kalos, but game-wise, they were just as isolated and disconnected. Kanto and Johto were the only regions that were truly connected.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm probably less hyped than I was for XY, though I don't really recall what my hype level was then. I had been feeling somewhat burnt out from Pokemon through the latter part of gen V, but I liked the idea of a 3DS Pokemon game. The thing that actually got me really hyped for XY was the availability of the Kanto starters early in the game. Nostalgia kicked in, and I got really excited about Blastoise returning to my team, especially after the no-old-Pokemon experience of BW. In the end, I was disappointed by the lack of new Pokemon, relatively speaking, and I thought the pacing on the game was poor, and wished there was more post game, yet somehow, I enjoyed it a lot more than I had enjoyed several previous generations.

I've been feeling pretty ambivalent about Sun and Moon until this week. I had been really excited about the RBY re-releases, but after playing through Red and starting on Blue, my energy started to fizzle a bit. I also started spending time contemplating getting a Wii U, and then looking into NX news, and feeling somewhat saddened by Nintendo's relatively poorer performance outside of Pokemon. I had spent a lot of time breeding on X, but with a new generation looming, I didn't really see the point anymore, as everything would be made obsolete anyway (and I also burnt myself out on breeding in December/January, when I agreed to way too large a trade for my own good, and it took tens of hours of my time to breed everything I needed thanks to bad luck). Mainly, I just wanted GSC re-releases on VC, and GF wasn't doing anything to make that come true. Plus, the fall seemed really far away, and I felt like I would never get there.

Now, though, I'm suddenly feeling a lot more psyched about Sun and Moon. I still worry about whether GF will "simplify" the games in a way that messes up the competitive scene, or simply makes the games feel more like cell phone games designed for people with an attention span of two minutes or less, but I'm happy with what I've seen so far. I don't dislike the starters, and I like the Hawaiian theme and the return of customization. (I just hope we'll be able to change more than shirt color, as I'm not that wild about the protagonist's current design; he seems a little too much like the Japanese kid in the trailer, with different hair colors.) I'm also happy with the November release date. While I might prefer October, I'm pleased it isn't December, as this way, I can play it over Thanksgiving, hopefully, and I'll have time to make some progress on it before my life gets too crazy in December. I think my hype will probably grow as I learn more about the games, and it's certainly grown a lot in the past couple of days, so we'll see if it passes my XY hype in the weeks to come.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    So far, my feelings about Sun and Moon are the same as they were when X and Y were announced. The joy that there was going to be another Pokemon game, and then moving on with the next part of my day.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad that there's a new Pokemon game to play through, but I'm not so excited for the news that I'm counting down the days until November. I'm also not getting upset over features that may or may not even exist in the game. There's no scouring the Internet for news/rumors/fan art, but any bit of news will catch my interest.

My reaction can be summed up as "Here we go again." Which is how I was when X and Y were revealed.

So far, my feelings about Sun and Moon are the same as they were when X and Y were announced. The joy that there was going to be another Pokemon game, and then moving on with the next part of my day.

Pretty much me. ; ;'

I loooooove Pokémon but I think I've outgrown the omgexcitement phase. Last time I remember being deathly excited for upcoming main series games was during Black and White and that was quite a while ago.

Was a bit more excited for X/Y though, because moving on from sprites to 3D models was a huge change. It was the only time where I felt like the series truly evolved.

Back