• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Feel Ignored :(

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Actually, the reason why that got nine replies? Because it was a parody, as you've said, and it was clearly a parody, as well. Most of those responses were actual questions towards the author, who has actually proven his capability of writing decently numerous times, only to suddenly produce something that literally wasn't readable.

And in any case, that's one story out of how many? Since when has one example been sufficient proof for any argument based on quantitative observations?

Edit: And it was technically six reviews, not including the mod post. Several reviewers made multiple posts, two of the nine replies were mini-modding, and the first was a one-liner that really didn't say anything at all.

Wow. I admire your ability to make a serious argument in response to a post I wrote in a joking manner! I give up, you win! :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    A number of decently written fanfiction (such as "The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum" and "Nothing, Everything") actually get a number of reviews per chapter -- even after the first installment.
    Thanks Jax. :)

But on topic - it is the whole case of being 'known'. When I started that story on Serebii Forums, I had one review. Over the next few chapters as well the other new ones were mostly one liners. Now there I get much more than I used to. Not that I don't want even more though. ;)
    It does bother me though - I see a good amount of good fics that suffer of being 'left in the shadows' of other 'established' fics, which are not nesserarily better. It's annoying to see, but that is how it happens.

As for 'badfics' which get half a dozon reviews that range from 'this sucks!" or 'this rockz!' - well, personally, I'd rather less reveiws that say and mean something more than plently of those - one wants to improve and see an in-depth opinion of one's work.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Wow. I admire your ability to make a serious argument in response to a post I wrote in a joking manner! I give up, you win! :)

^ The response everyone unwilling to withdraw their claims uses to back out of an argument. I've seen it a number of times. Everyone knows that sarcasm doesn't translate on the Internet without any form of verbal inflection, which is what sarcasm relies on. Therefore, this argument is used by either someone who isn't aware of that fact or someone who has made a (semi-)serious argument and is now attempting to pass it off as a joke because they're unwilling to acknowledge that they ever held an opinion that could be remotely disputable.

Proof: The fact that you linked to anything and tacked on a "I rest my case" line, which is only really ever done if someone attempts to make a serious argument.

So, no, your attempt at embarrassing me for misinterpreting your apparent intentions has no effect on me.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Actually, couldn't one say that Oni's story got four (real) reviews because it's a story written by Oni? I mean, while Oni's stories aren't well-known around these parts, since a few dropped off the face of the planet, he's still a good writer. And then he posts a story with an obviously bad title. Parody or not, it's still a story by Oni that gained attention.

Besides, this isn't like other boards, which has reviewers flock to bad fics and leave the good fics to be close to ignored (unless you have a lot of fantards running around). Really, once people see that the "bad" writers tend to ignore constructive criticism, then they get left alone. And that attention gets diverted onto the good writers (with the exception of Jax, who scares everyone away. xD)

And now this thread makes me lulz very much.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    ^ The response everyone unwilling to withdraw their claims uses to back out of an argument. I've seen it a number of times. Everyone knows that sarcasm doesn't translate on the Internet without any form of verbal inflection, which is what sarcasm relies on. Therefore, this argument is used by either someone who isn't aware of that fact or someone who has made a (semi-)serious argument and is now attempting to pass it off as a joke because they're unwilling to acknowledge that they ever held an opinion that could be remotely disputable.

Proof: The fact that you linked to anything and tacked on a "I rest my case" line, which is only really ever done if someone attempts to make a serious argument.

So, no, your attempt at embarrassing me for misinterpreting your apparent intentions has no effect on me.
    I... don't think he's trying to make a fool outta you (more like slink away peacefully while making you seem too serious) but... I'm not sure about your words used but you're talking about reading one's tone, right? We can't hear each other's voices but we make up one in our heads and that shapes how we interpret what the other is saying well, written? (Totally off topic but was just checking if I was on the same page here)

As for the topic... (though the TC seems okay now...) just keep going for you. Just smile to yourself when you get views and know what your writing for. That's enough to ignite your imagination's inner flames.

Heh, it's come to the point for me where I'd rather not see reviews myself since when you see the bulk of what others get you're like "so this is what I'm getting annoyed about? Heh, I actually lucked out." So just... have fun with it.

Though getting to know what actually needs to be worked with is always nice though...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2008
    I know this thread has gone a lil off topic i just felt like adding my opinion

Fan fiction artists should expect to not get any recognition

We should be making fan fiction because we enjoy it as a fans
    not because people should necessarily praise it for using our fan-boyish knowledge to create short stories.

I know it feels really good when people think what your doing is awsome but sometimes thats just the way the cookie crumbles. At the end of the day its better to do something because you love to do it.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I... don't think he's trying to make a fool outta you (more like slink away peacefully while making you seem too serious)

I would say this would be trying to make a fool out of me, personally. Or at least comment on an inability to read tone correctly.

but... I'm not sure about your words used but you're talking about reading one's tone, right? We can't hear each other's voices but we make up one in our heads and that shapes how we interpret what the other is saying well, written? (Totally off topic but was just checking if I was on the same page here)

Essentially. Basically, sarcasm is used to emulate seriousness. The only difference between telling the truth and using sarcasm is essentially the subtle differences in facial expression and the voice. So, without those cues, sarcasm really loses its effect on its readers. Additionally, sarcasm on the Internet doesn't take into consideration the fact that people have most likely said the same things at one point or another and were completely serious about it.

Ergo, sarcasm literally doesn't work on the Internet. And if it does, it's usually supported by visual cues (emoticons, images) to emphasize that it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Actually, couldn't one say that Oni's story got four (real) reviews because it's a story written by Oni? I mean, while Oni's stories aren't well-known around these parts, since a few dropped off the face of the planet, he's still a good writer. And then he posts a story with an obviously bad title. Parody or not, it's still a story by Oni that gained attention.

Amen to that. Oni writes great stories.

And now this thread makes me lulz very much.

So very much, Asty. I don't even know what we're all talking about.

So that leaves one option...

-smiles and waves-

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Just to make sure the tone of this post is perfectly clear, I'll begin the content with an HTML tag.

<SINCERITY>
    I am truly sorry for getting this thread so incredibly off-topic. My initial comment was ill-planned, and I should not have made it worse by citing Oni's clever parody. To tie this lengthy conversation in with what the thread was about, anything can get noticed, it's all about luck really. Sometimes someone notices an amazing insight, and other times someone notices a boneheaded comment like mine. Again, I'm sorry.
    </SINCERITY>

Back