• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Feel Ignored :(

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    I feel ignored. My Prologue was viewed by over 60 people, and I oly got oe reply from a reviewer. But now my fic has already been pushed to the second page, where it will surely be forgotten. I like that people like my work. I just wish they would say so. I hope if anyone still wants to read it, that they'll leave their thoughts on it.

So, anyways...any words of pep or sympathy?

Dr. Mack Foxx

Veteran Trainer/Mad Scientist
    Years
    Don't feel too bad about it.

Heck, my fics have been up here for a few years and have received little to no feedback. Now they are all too old to receive any updates without getting locked, too.

Look at the bright side, at least you didn't submit on Serebii Forums and get flamed every step of the way. Eh?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Dude, you really need to stop jumping to conclusions. I mean, wow, a lot of people look at fics, look at mine, it has over three hundred views and only got two reviews and the other replies were SPAM from TurtleKing. Just keep writing and as you build up reputation, people are more likely to look at your fic. Griff, I'll use as an example.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Sorry dude but you have to share the spotlight, and sometimes that means getting your fic pushed back to the second page (the second page isn't that bad, btw). If you really want replies that badly, then go to the lounge and see if there's anyone who can regularly review your fic. If you really want your fanfic to be noticed, why not make it a nice banner or better yet, request one. Banners are the closest things we writers have to commercials so use 'em. Other than that, all I have to say is don't give up because there are great fics out there that have zero replies on the third chapter but the authors refuse to let that affect what they love doing most - writing.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Indeed - don't worry about it. When I had first posted my fic on Serebii Forums, I had two reviews for the first chapter + prologue. But I've stuck at it, and now several chapters ahead and I'm getting considerably more. And that's nothing compared to some other people who've had 'slow starts'...

That's something that has always slightly irritated me in fanfiction - it can take a long while for good new authors to get noticed when the 'popular' author's stuff isn't as good. But that's how it works - so just keep at it and make yourself known over time.

Banners are the closest things we writers have to commercials so use 'em.
    Or the Fanfiction Announcement thread. ;)
    Look at the bright side, at least you didn't submit on Serebii Forums and get flamed every step of the way. Eh?
    ... must disagree here. Only instances whne people are flammed there on fanfictions is when the fic was poor and hadn't had much effort put into it. A large amount of people there give constructive criticism and proper reviews rather than flames, I daresay... from what I see anyway, and I've seen a fair bit...

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Eh, just stop it, okay? Please. It's annoying how people whine and cry about not getting love for their fics. If you only write fics just for the popularity, then you need to stop writing fics. Simple as that, kid.

SPAM from TurtleKing

OT: >.> I do not post SPAM. I post spamology. There's a difference Raichu! Don't make me de-evolve you!

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    Eh, just stop it, okay? Please. It's annoying how people whine and cry about not getting love for their fics. If you only write fics just for the popularity, then you need to stop writing fics. Simple as that, kid.

OT: >.> I do not post SPAM. I post spamology. There's a difference Raichu! Don't make me de-evolve you!

I just like having people post just so I know their thoughts on it. But that banner idea sounds great! I think I'll request two! But I'll have to cut down my signature a bit. :D

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    We have more guests than we do registered members crawl their creepy way into this section. So people who can't post look at fics.

Or some of your views might have come from people looking at your thread and not posting because they have to keep an eye on the new posts that come in.

Or some people might start to read a chapter, have to break off in the middle, and then click on the thread again to continue reading.

JB, just keep writing. It's something that you enjoy doing, so don't let this stop you. While it's nice to know that people do enjoy your work, don't let that be the only reason why you write.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I feel ignored. My Prologue was viewed by over 60 people, and I oly got oe reply from a reviewer.

You know, I hate it when people complain, considering people have had worse. I mean, while I can't say I'm the worst of the worst, I've had no reviewers for the past few chapters for my pet fic of the moment. None. Whatsoever. I get hits, but other than that, nothing from PC. It's not even the only one, either. *motions to her attempts in Other Writing*

But you know what I do? No, I don't post threads to ask people to cheer me up. I just keep on writing. Why? Because at least I have hits. Yes, you're not getting reviews (or many of them anyway -- as one review is a review, and you've just started and are therefore in that stage of your fanfiction where you haven't established regular readers, even if it is a sequel), but you're getting hits, which means someone is reading (even if Astinus is right about repeat visitors). It's really no reason to go out there and ask for pep talks or anything (which I'm ironically doing, although I'll have to bluntly say I refuse to give you sympathy). If you don't get feedback for your work, you don't just quit. You keep on going because they're not telling you to stop.

You really have to ask yourself why you're writing as well. As it was sort of pointed out, writing fanfiction is something you do because you like writing. You realize it's a valid form of art, and you try to embody your fandom using it. Yes, you write with the idea that you have an audience, but you don't just do it for the reviews and ego pimping. You do it because you have a story to get down on paper. So, if you're only doing it for ego-pimping, then you'll probably need to step back and remind yourself just what the term "fanfiction" actually means. (You know. "Fan" as in "I'm doing this because I'm a fan" and "fiction" because "I'm doing this because I like to write.")

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    You know, I hate it when people complain, considering people have had worse. I mean, while I can't say I'm the worst of the worst, I've had no reviewers for the past few chapters for my pet fic of the moment. None. Whatsoever. I get hits, but other than that, nothing from PC. It's not even the only one, either. *motions to her attempts in Other Writing*

But you know what I do? No, I don't post threads to ask people to cheer me up. I just keep on writing. Why? Because at least I have hits. Yes, you're not getting reviews (or many of them anyway -- as one review is a review, and you've just started and are therefore in that stage of your fanfiction where you haven't established regular readers, even if it is a sequel), but you're getting hits, which means someone is reading (even if Astinus is right about repeat visitors). It's really no reason to go out there and ask for pep talks or anything (which I'm ironically doing, although I'll have to bluntly say I refuse to give you sympathy). If you don't get feedback for your work, you don't just quit. You keep on going because they're not telling you to stop.

You really have to ask yourself why you're writing as well. As it was sort of pointed out, writing fanfiction is something you do because you like writing. You realize it's a valid form of art, and you try to embody your fandom using it. Yes, you write with the idea that you have an audience, but you don't just do it for the reviews and ego pimping. You do it because you have a story to get down on paper. So, if you're only doing it for ego-pimping, then you'll probably need to step back and remind yourself just what the term "fanfiction" actually means. (You know. "Fan" as in "I'm doing this because I'm a fan" and "fiction" because "I'm doing this because I like to write.")

You're right. I like doing this stuff because I'm a fan. Thanks for your help, guys. I feel a lot better. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Dahlin', you just have to keep writing. At first, mine had no hits...I watched it all day long. Nothing. I've been patient, and now I've gotten good reviews. But even still, without the reviews, I'd keep writing. I love my story...I'm suprised I don't huggle it at night, actually. But I love writing it. I wanna get to know what happens in the end...of course, I could know right now if I so choose...ummm...back on subject, perseverance, m'dear.

And like Astinus said, there are a lot of guests creepin' in to read fics, but they can't post. So they could be your biggest fan and you don't even know. O.o

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I always feel that no one is reading my fanfics. Look at my Fanfic Lost Heaven. After every chapter I am always thinking that the only people who are reading it are my friends who I push to read it. Anyway I always just post chapters and eventually get reviews. Just keep posting chapters and you will eventually get more fans

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Ultimately, there are many, many, many authors whose works (good or bad) get ignored for some reason or another. It's just a fact of life. Your best bet is to keep writing and hope you'll get noticed enough somebody'll decide to hit the 'reply' button. You can't make anybody review. And like everyone else said, you do get hits, and more than likely, a good percentage of this hits contain people that actually read and enjoyed your story. So yeah: just keep writing.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012

seriously, I hate people like that as well. I mean, I've gotten well over a thousand hits for Pocket Monsters Chronicles on SPPF (and I recall it being among the most-viewed fics there, as well as here and BMG... in fact, such may still be the case in a couple places). My first version (the narrative) had a lot of views as well.... but that's just it, "views", and nothing more. I got some replies, and even a couple helpful reviews, but I can't say the count was particularly stunning, especially compared to others I've seen.

ironically, my own self-discovery was that I actually don't like writing and attempting to describe crap, and that I've wanted a visual medium right from the start.

Last edited:
    Years
    I feel ignored. My Prologue was viewed by over 60 people, and I oly got oe reply from a reviewer. But now my fic has already been pushed to the second page, where it will surely be forgotten. I like that people like my work. I just wish they would say so. I hope if anyone still wants to read it, that they'll leave their thoughts on it.

So, anyways...any words of pep or sympathy?

just keep at it dude! My story was moved to the revision bin but i'll keep on writing just keep adding chapters and more people will read after all, how do you think Pokemon became so popular huh? :)

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I find that the best way to get attention on this board is to make your story as poorly written as humanly possible. A piece of error-ridden garbage is bound to attract responses like a sign that says "Free Cookies." However, if you're interested in responses that say you write well, you'll just have to keep writing good stuff until someone notices it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I find that the best way to get attention on this board is to make your story as poorly written as humanly possible. A piece of error-ridden garbage is bound to attract responses like a sign that says "Free Cookies." However, if you're interested in responses that say you write well, you'll just have to keep writing good stuff until someone notices it.

Not necessarily, actually. For many other communities, yes. For here, not entirely. A number of decently written fanfiction (such as "The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum" and "Nothing, Everything") actually get a number of reviews per chapter -- even after the first installment. (This compares to a number of badfics that have passed through here, which either get one or two concrit reviews and maybe a n00b saying "lol plz rite more" or just locked within a day for lack of standards.) Yes, badfics get tons of "your story sucks, and this is why" reviews, but it's not necessarily the best way.

Judging by the names and the reactions to people I've seen come into this community in the past few months, I have the feeling that it's best to have been established on other boards or fanfiction communities if you want the most reviews. People seem to flock most to names they recognize first because they already know about the reputation of the author. No, I can't say that's entirely fair, but it just means you need to have patience and work until you can get a foothold on this board. People still read your work, so you're still building a reputation here. It's just that the word-of-mouth factor won't be as strong until you produce more work to gain more momentum -- exactly what you said in the final sentence of your post.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Not necessarily, actually. For many other communities, yes. For here, not entirely. A number of decently written fanfiction (such as "The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum" and "Nothing, Everything") actually get a number of reviews per chapter -- even after the first installment. (This compares to a number of badfics that have passed through here, which either get one or two concrit reviews and maybe a n00b saying "lol plz rite more" or just locked within a day for lack of standards.) Yes, badfics get tons of "your story sucks, and this is why" reviews, but it's not necessarily the best way.

Judging by the names and the reactions to people I've seen come into this community in the past few months, I have the feeling that it's best to have been established on other boards or fanfiction communities if you want the most reviews. People seem to flock most to names they recognize first because they already know about the reputation of the author. No, I can't say that's entirely fair, but it just means you need to have patience and work until you can get a foothold on this board. People still read your work, so you're still building a reputation here. It's just that the word-of-mouth factor won't be as strong until you produce more work to gain more momentum -- exactly what you said in the final sentence of your post.

I am aware that the story linked below is a parody by a respectable writer, but it still illustrates my point.

"de tal ov ultimit desstny," 9 replies before being locked.

I rest my case.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Don't feel bad about it, you've gotta learn to not take it to a wrong idea. I'm sure most people on PC don't care for a lot of people. XD I can probably list a few who don't like me to begin with. xD
    That's in your mind, the only thing that's important is that you follow the rules and have fun. ;D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I rest my case.

Actually, the reason why that got nine replies? Because it was a parody, as you've said, and it was clearly a parody, as well. Most of those responses were actual questions towards the author, who has actually proven his capability of writing decently numerous times, only to suddenly produce something that literally wasn't readable.

And in any case, that's one story out of how many? Since when has one example been sufficient proof for any argument based on quantitative observations?

Edit: And it was technically eight replies, not including the mod post. And even then, three reviewers made two posts each (some of which were actually responses to responses or additions to their own responses, not direct responses to the actual story), one of the six remaining replies were mini-modding (rather than an actual review), and the first reply was a one-liner that really didn't say anything at all. So, technically, we can say that there were really only four actual reviews. Yes, that's still a number more than most, but I still feel that one example doesn't stand as a generalization towards the nature of the entire board. Even if you tried adding conicteam's stories to the argument, that's still only a handful compared to the number of decently written stories that do get a large amount of attention.

Last edited:
    Back