• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen I JUST CAUGHT A PIKACHU!!!

Smiffy01

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    OMG it actually happened, I was wandering through viridian forest and yes I encountered, battled and captured a wild pikachu! SO happy, I know people have said the rate of a wild one appearing in Blue or Red is low but blimey I didn't expect to come across on this fast, bearing in mind I have been playing for two hours and I am still training my pokemon up in viridian forest!

Who else has caught a Wild Pikachu in their versions of Blue or Red yet?

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    OMG it actually happened, I was wandering through viridian forest and yes I encountered, battled and captured a wild pikachu! SO happy, I know people have said the rate of a wild one appearing in Blue or Red is low but blimey I didn't expect to come across on this fast, bearing in mind I have been playing for two hours and I am still training my pokemon up in viridian forest!

Who else has caught a Wild Pikachu in their versions of Blue or Red yet?

I haven't gotten Blue and Red yet in the VC releases.
    But I remember running into Pikachu a few times in Viridian Forest back in the day, and all the emulators playing, Pikachu pops up every once in a while. Good job! :D I got Yellow so I got Pikachu at the start..lol.

Guess your slow. I got my Pikachu within an hour of game play.

His slow?
    Well, that is rude of you, calling him slow. The game works differently for people, some show up slower, some pokemon show up faster.

Years
    Searching for Pikachu was vaguely enjoyable back in the day. It generally didn't take that long, though, as said. Generally, if you wanted a Pikachu and the more uncommon early bug in your game, you could just end up training up your team in the process. But yeah, Pikachu can be found in Viridian, unless they've altered catch-rates or made them more common.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    On every version of these games I've played, i mean red/blue, even the emulators, I've always had a really hard time finding Pikachu. I always get annoyed whenever catch rates for pokemon i really want are so low. I know it's part of the game, but every version i play, i feel like the catch rates are lower than stated to make it even harder. For example, I'm playing red right now, and i've been poke searching in viridan forest for about an hour, and all i've encountered so far are weedle, and kakuna, no pikachu, or caterpie for that matter. Getting fustrated here, trying to find what i want.

EDIT: At One hour, three minutes, I caught my Pikachu, and exactly 5 minutes prior, I caught a Caterpie.

Last edited:

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    It took me a good 45 minutes of wandering through the grass in Viridian Forest to come across a pikachu. I was starting to get frustrated haha.

Years
    Pikachu's 5% odds are a bit of a pain, though I ran into 3 after catching my first one before running into my first Caterpie in Red. Seriously. Does make me want to backtrack to Route 22 and try for a Nidoran (F) again, though I do have a Nidoran (M) that I can just trade on Route 5 for the Nidoran (F) later.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    I haven't gotten my copy of RBY yet, but I remember that the first time I played the games as a kid, I never even knew Pikachu was available in Viridian Forest (granted, this was before I became a completionist and just played through the game once). When I was a bit older and aware of how glitchy the games were, I ran into a Pikachu in Viridian Forest in Blue and thought it was a glitch! I caught it and felt so proud of myself until I looked online and realized it was just a bit rarer than the other Pokemon. Since then, it hasn't been that difficult for me to find one. Hopefully when I get Red, it won't take as long.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Yup, got one in my current save of Pokemon Blue.

Fun fact: I can't actually stand Pikachu or Raichu. They're semi useful in competitive because they learn Surf, but otherwise they are awful. Zapdos and possibly Jolteon aside, Electric Pokemon in Generation 1 were poor.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2016
    It's true that Pikachu/Raichu is weak. But if you've ever had an electrode they're handy against Mewtwo. Always gets first move, paralyse with thunder wave then hit it with a couple of thunders and self destruct on him. Bye bye psychic cat.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    It's true that Pikachu/Raichu is weak. But if you've ever had an electrode they're handy against Mewtwo. Always gets first move, paralyse with thunder wave then hit it with a couple of thunders and self destruct on him. Bye bye psychic cat.

Yeah, I don't mind Electrode much. It tended to be my lead Pokemon when I faced off against a tricky opponent in Stadium or in the Elite Four.

Send it out, paralyse the opponent, lower its defences or set up light screens, chip away with Thunderbolt, explode on anything you can't damage. Simple. Very much a hit-and-run Pokemon, but it's effective at what it does.

Years
    As Don said, Pikachu has a rare encounter rate but it's easy to know that this is the generation where critical hit rates are based on speed and with Pikachu's line being naturally fast, it can get quite good. In Yellow however, he will need backup to have any chance against Brock.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I got Yellow so getting a Pikachu wasn't a problem for me haha.

Nonetheless, congratulations! They're apparently supposed to be rare in Viridian Forest so!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I got Yellow so getting a Pikachu wasn't a problem for me haha.

Nonetheless, congratulations! They're apparently supposed to be rare in Viridian Forest so!

Back