• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] I miss the old style of remakes

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    I'm still excited for these games, but I realize now why people have an issue with these remakes; I miss ORAS style remakes, games like fire red and leaf green or heart gold and soul silver, refresh older games by implementing what makes the new games tremendous and making it a better experience, in Pokémon terms "evolving an old game" I guess you can say, I think the whole "faithful remakes" thing is a safe way to go. It's not going to be bad at all however, I can't help but wonder "what could've been" if they decided to do a more traditional remake. I hope this doesn't come off as a negative post or me trying to dunk on these remakes, just mostly some shower thoughts, if you will.

Years
  • Doesn't come off negative - don't worry! You're entitled to your opinion, and I can understand what you're saying. I loved ORAS a lot and while it wasn't perfect (no Battle Frontier among other things) it still had a ton of charm and new features that made it really enjoyable to play. Mega evolutions, characters being more fleshed out (especially Steven), bunches of new Pokémon, etc etc.

Too early to say if BDSP will be just a faithful remake with little upgrades though. The Grand Underground is already a step up with new additions like the Pokémon Hideaways. So we'll see, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I just want new areas and stuff added to the game. As much as I want megas, they aren't required for a good game. But it still annoys me Sinnoh haven't gotten special forms, but nor has Johto. Who knows? Maybe if we get new evolutions for starters in Arceus, we will see some love for others.

But back on topic, all Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold and Soul Silver did was add new areas and newer pokemon. For the most part, they were 'faithful remakes'. The problem with BDSP we haven't gotten any of this as far as we know. This is why people are upset. Because they aren't adding anything at all. It doesn't have to be megas or anything, but new areas would be great. Currently, we are basically buying the same game for more money with no difference other than graphics. With FRLG and HGSS, I don't think we even got new story elements other than the Celebii Even with Giovanni.

We did get Sevi Islands, but it really didn't add to the story.

I will say.... The Underground update has slightly pushed me in a way that I am more acceptable, but I feel like it needs more.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    I agree with you, up to ORAS every remake was awesome because there were adding all the stuff of the current and past Gens.
    BDSP is aside from Gen 8 and I doubt we will have the mechanics from Gen 7. For me, if they made at least until Gen 6 I'm totally fine.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I'm really hoping they use the Platinum dex for BDSP, since the original DP games had really limited pokemon. There's no reason not to do so except to like, add them in later as DLC or something which is just a jerk move imo. If they're going to charge 60 dollars at least make the game worth it.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Honestly they always say they follow the old game faithfully but still end up giving us a tons of surprises, so I will not give my opinion until I actually play the games but to be honest, I am easily pleased.

pkmin3033

I think these games are still within the boundaries of being upgrades of that sort despite being described as faithful remakes - there are already many enhancements and improvements that have been shown off, and there will be QoL improvements incorporated from previous games that weren't in the original Gen IV titles. That's really all any of the remakes have been: old games with the current engine with a few small additions added. They've never added any significant new content in remakes.

As for what might have been if that's not enough for you, well...I'm sure the blame for restrictions can be placed squarely on Masuda for meddling where he ought not to meddle.

Years
  • idk i feel like the biggest thing i've missed from oras is soaring. hgss was admittedly amazing, but for me that's because of the pokemon following you thing (which is returning) + an incredible postgame.

i dont even like fr/lg aside from sevii islands so that remake never stood out to me lol...

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Definitely agree. In fact, Alpha Sapphire is my favorite game of all time, simply because it took the features of gen 3 I liked most (cool Team Aqua/Magma music, plotline, etc.) and revamped them to include things like soaring, mirage islands, megaevolutions, the Pokenav (or whatever it was called) that you could use to chain shinies. I'm still planning on buying BDSP regardless, but I'd definitely love to see improvements of the gen 4 games.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • I'm super hyped for these games mainly due to the graphics. I like the chibi-like graphics they are imho a better fit for Pokemon games. Might be nostalgic bias as for me the GB-GBA is the golden era of Pokemon. I'm also a fan of Zelda but I tend to only buy the games with chibi-like graphics.

Years
    • Seen today
    I think these games look nice. They look reminiscent of some of the DS era games.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Well, until ORAS everything was nice, and now there's a chance that a remake will be nice again.
    I have high hopes, but, well, gen 8 was... different.
    But I really hope that BDSP is a remake not just in the name.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2021
    Of course it would, but don't expect that to happen
    Gen 2 and its remakes were the only games they add more than one main region
    It never happened again, sadly

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It would be cool if they make a super long version joining at previous 3-5 regions together. :)

What do you mean? We're not getting Hoenn, Kanto and Johto in these games.

Anyway, op.

Not going to lie, I can see where you're coming from. These games are just Diamond and Pearl with some very small updates with modernization. I can't help but wonder what these games would have been like if they were OR/AS style myself. I won't discuss the datamine here, but it really is just looking like "Sinnoh, but HD!' and there not being that many updates. Maybe next remakes, though, if this one isn't the last one, ever.

Years
  • Ya I meant to say if only they have a version that combines all the region together. So basically a larger map and one can travel and challenge all gyms and leagues from johto to galar etc. Haha.

Years
  • My main issue is that the moment they've shown Sword/Shield and their game engine's capabilities, anything in the style of the older games, makes little sense. I understand if you want to launch a game every 10 years to reminisce. Cool! I get it. But stop remaking games with the old gameplay style, use the new one, make it a proper RPG since you've proven that it can be done.

Years
  • My main issue is that the moment they've shown Sword/Shield and their game engine's capabilities, anything in the style of the older games, makes little sense. I understand if you want to launch a game every 10 years to reminisce. Cool! I get it. But stop remaking games with the old gameplay style, use the new one, make it a proper RPG since you've proven that it can be done.
    It's one thing if this was made in house, but I don't mind the style since it was made by a third party company.

Years
  • I think the overworld graphics look fresh and cool---- I totally love it!! it has character like the older games and HD like the newer games.
    I'm not completely sold on the battle graphics, it kinda looks like a rip from the lifeless graphics from SWSH, but that could just be me wanting something as far from SWSH as possible

edit: also thanks everyone for mentioning your love for the ORAS remakes somehow I passed them over and now I'm thinking I'll get them after I finish my file on SM!!

Last edited:
    Back