• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I pick the Fire-type.. again!

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I've always chosen the Fire starter, just based on availability. Fire types are the least common of the three starting types, and I can usually find a decent water and grass type to replace what I'm missing with the lack of the other two.

Cheers!

Years
  • With Pokémon Silver being my first Pokémon game, I chose Cyndaquil because it was the cutest and had fire blazing from it (I was like six, what do you expect?). Cyndaquil has always been, from that moment onwards, my favourite Pokémon.

Outside of that though, I always pick water type Pokémon to be my starters on the first play through (of course I will always play through with the others eventually). Squirtle always appealed to me, Mudkip was based on my brother picking Torchic in his play through of Emerald and so I'd seen it all before by the time he'd given the game to me, Piplup just appealed to me and Oshawott looks like an utter badass. I haven't played XY but I'd pick Froakie if I had the chance to. I don't know why, but I just like my water types. That is to say, however, that they do not always follow on to be my favourite starter from that region.

Misaka

Yokoso
    Years
  • I have a tendency to always choose a Fire type. I am not sure why, especially since Fire isn't even my favorite type.

Maybe it is because I find the Fire types to always have good designs (excluding Emboar!)

Years
  • It depends on the design but I find myself loving the grass starters a lot more. ^_^; I've used Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Snivy, and Chespin quite a lot throughout my time playing the games. So I suppose the grass types tend to be my pick even though it all comes down to whether or not they catch my eye. Grasses just so happen to do that more. ;P

inksplashed-heart

mimikyu stan
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I always pick the fire-type. I just don't have affinity for the other two - personally, mind you, I find that grass-types are just so easily destroyed by the omnipresent starter normal/flying birds (you know what I mean), and I...well, I just don't like water. I've been described as a very fiery sort of person, so birds of a feather? XD

Lately, though, I've just been sighing at the fire/fighting starters. Couldn't Game Freak have changed the typings up a little?

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    I tend to balance my choices between runs, but I usually don't end up choosing the fire type. I think my runs ended up something like this:

Leafgreen: Bulbasaur
    Leafgreen (2nd Run): Charmander
    Ruby: Treecko
    Ruby (2nd Run): Mudkip
    Pearl: Piplup
    Platinum: Turtwig
    SoulSilver: Chikorita
    Black: Oshawott
    Black (2nd Run): Tepig
    Black 2: Snivy
    X: Froakie + Bulbasaur

NotepadScrawls

Mugging Student
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2014
    I usually pick either the grass or fire type because I love water types but not the starters so I leave that water slot in my team for other Pokemon like Chinchou or Lotad for example.

However, I notice that I tend towards grass types, mostly because I'm a pretty laid back/relaxed person in life and I'm also easily annoyed, so I like Bulbasaur for his little edginess and Turtwig cause he's so chill. I don't like Chikorita though, she looks a little weird to me and too girly for my liking.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2014
    It all depends on what gen the wild pokemon are. I will typically do grass because there are a bunch of cool wild water and fire types to be caught

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I always lean towards the fire starter as it is my favorite type, and for the first 4 gens it was my main choice (yes even Chimchar, the Pokemon that is apparently disliked mainstream), but after that I haven't liked the design. It's all about the look with me, not how good it is in battle, and I did not like the look of any 5th or 6th gen starters to be honest, except for Froakie which was my first time playing a Pokemon for the first time with a water type. Obviously I have used others, but never the first time.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
    Years
  • I typically use water! I used Totodile in gen 2, Mudkip in gen 3, and Piplup in gen 4. I'm not sure why, honestly. Grass is probably my favorite type of the three when it comes down to it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I always go with water because, of the three starter types, it's my favorite element. I would pick electric or psychic if it were an option.
    Honestly, for the longest time I thought Elekid was going to be the starter for the third installment. (Not helped by Casey having one in the anime.)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I pick the Fire-type.. again!

In case you can't tell from that, I'm biased towards fire-type starters. However... if the resident fire-type doesn't have that good of base stats/movepool, & another one does, then I will end up choosing that one instead. Thus, I don't always go for them, but if anything, I default towards fire.

ShiningHelioptile