• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ice is the rarest type

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Let's talk about type rarity. Some types are far more common than others, such as Water, Normal, and Flying being the three most common. Types such as Dragon, Ghost and Ice, are considered the rarest. So, I wanted to discuss why you think some types are more common or rarer than others. I think Water is obviously common since there's so much water on Earth, and Dragons are rare since Dragons are considered to be mythical creatures, so it wouldn't make sense for the Dragon type to be common.

By the way, yes, Ice is the rarest type.

pkmin3033

Clearly Ice being the rarest type is a meta commentary on global warming or something.

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
    Years
  • I'd more actively use Ice types in various teams if not for the fact that they come in super late game when I already have my team decided on...
    Honestly, even the Sinnoh region is lacking in Ice type prominence unless you go to the far northern reaches or scale Mt. Coronet. and I would argue that even during Winter in Unova they're hard to locate. Perhaps it's just far too warm in the world for them to exist comfortably outside of extreme temperature locations that most people can't really go to? Like how to find Ice types in Hoenn you have to delve into the deepest sections of the Shoal Cave when the tide is out because it's too hot for them to hang around elsewhere. Honestly, I kinda have to agree with Dawn, it's probably related to global warming.

As far as Ghost types? Well for starters, what is a ghost type? Are they a dead Pokemon? Are they a dead human? Are they just a normal Pokemon with ghostly powers? What separates a Ghost Type from, well, a ghost? What is it that causes Ghost types to come to be? The Pokedex has a few guesses, but nothing super concrete. With that in mind... I'd argue that either the process that makes a ghost type is rare or difficult in and of itself, or the large majority of them are just hiding out and we only see them if we seek out their habitats and disturb them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2019
    1. I would really like to see a Pokemon game start off in a snowy little mountain village where you encounter Normal/Ice, Ice/Flying, and Bug/Ice mons, preferably with functional abilities that would allow them to actually see play, not just be trash mons (though Normal/Ice isn't a great combo really).

2. Can we talk about how it's a bit odd that Ice-Type all tend to be isolated together? Like Glaceon's entries talk about being able to fire icicles like missiles, even going so far as to say "It freezes its fur into icicles, spiky and sharp, and tackles its prey." But if you're a Glaceon in the middle of a snowy winter wonderland, what prey are you targeting that ins't also Ice-Type and thus resistant to your frosty attacks? Fire's the same. Why are you developing flaming attacks in a volcanic hell-scape when everyone around you is going to resist that? Predatory Fire Pokemon should be hunting in cold regions where their internal heat keeps them warm and their flames can destroy any opponent.

3. Competitively, I'd like to see Ice gain a resistance to Water (with the caveat of Scald) and Ground. Water because Water and Ice have something of an inverse relationship together. The more ice you have, the colder it gets and the more the water will freeze, but if you have more water than ice, then the lower temperature will cause the ice to melt. As for Ground, well Ground is already weak to Ice, so it's not too much of a stretch.

4. Regarding Ghost-Types, @PkMnTrainerWilliam, Ghost-Types are definitely not actually dead. Any references to them being spirits are just folk tales. We know this because actual ghosts don't hatch from eggs. Ghost Pokemon are just very in tune with the spirit world and can seemingly sense the presence of actual dead spirits.

Years
  • Honestly, the reason Ice is a rare type is probably because
    1. There's not a lot of icy habitat in Pokemon regions comparatively and
    2. It's an awful type. With the exception of maybe Water, Ice/Anything is absolutely horrendous as a typing. This could easily be fixed by adding a Water resistance but for some reason we're still waiting on that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I feel like it's not easy coming up with designs for ice type. They've already got a polar bear, penguins, walrus/sea lions, a winter fox although I feel like there is still more to do with snow animals like a snow hare, snowy owl, reindeer, moose, puffin, narwhal. Plus there is a very cool fish that basically has antifreeze in its blood, and they could even do a pun with snowy egrets.
    In terms of non-animal pokemons they have pokemon based on snowflakes, ice crystals, ice cream, iceberg, abominable snowman/tree, even refrigerator so there's also not all that much left to do. Despite the horrible type matchups I do like a lot of ice pokemon and wish there were more. They should do a snowman pokemon (not like abomasnow, an actual snowman you can build)

Back