• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Identifying a bug

Years
    I saw a weird, somewhat unsettling bug in the bathroom last night. It looked like the rough drawing I made (excuse my art skills) but really tiny, a few millimeters if anything. It also frightened me with just how freaky it was. I'm actually unsure the amount of legs but I'm assuming it's an insect. Just imagine this but tiny and freaky, pure black.

Attachments

• Identifying a bug
      Untitled-1.png
      6.8 KB · Views: 2
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hmm, to be classified as an "insect" it needs to have three or more pairs of legs on either side. Are the front bits means to be legs or a pair of antenna?

My insect identification skills kinda starts and ends with spiders.. but you might have seen a Blacklegged Tick. They're very common and almost imperceptibly small. Plus they start coming out of hibernation just as the snow melts, assuming you're in the US!

Did it look like it could fly? What were the primary colorations / patterns?

Retek

Banned
    Years
    Spoiler:

All hail the powers of Fairy!! 😁

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've been getting something similar as well. Round, all black and the size of a sesame seed.

Years
    Hmm, to be classified as an "insect" it needs to have three or more pairs of legs on either side. Are the front bits means to be legs or a pair of antenna?

My insect identification skills kinda starts and ends with spiders.. but you might have seen a Blacklegged Tick. They're very common and almost imperceptibly small. Plus they start coming out of hibernation just as the snow melts, assuming you're in the US!

Did it look like it could fly? What were the primary colorations / patterns?

No, I'm in Atlantic Canada lol
    And it didn't have wings or anything. It was just a tiny pure black thing.
    EDIT: Are deer ticks black when babies?

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    No, I'm in Atlantic Canada lol
    And it didn't have wings or anything. It was just a tiny pure black thing.
    EDIT: Are deer ticks black when babies?
    Black legged ticks are Deer ticks, actually! Their larval forms are actually pretty light in color, but adult males can be pitch black. They're approximately 2.0mm.

Years

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    When I first saw your drawing, I immediately thought of a whip scorpion.

I guess you should be thankful that you 100% DON'T have one of those in your bathroom 😅

Years
    Given it was in the bathroom, it could be a pseudoscorpion (warning, photos of bugs): https://extension.umn.edu/insect-relatives/pseudoscorpions

I have definitely seen what you're talking about and it was still too big and squishy to be a deer tick/black legged tick.

This insect page at my state's major university might contain a photo of the bug you're looking to identify: https://extension.umn.edu/insects

I live in Atlantic Canada, I don't think there's any type of scorpion here.
    It looks like it, but what I saw is tiny and pure black.
    I guess it could be a tick?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm gonna put my money on a deer tick based on the given information..but that is a hard, hard maybe. The pedipalps, if they are indeed pedipalps, do look pseudo-scorpion though, so that's super interesting!

But (well, I dunno if hopefully is the right word..) you'll find it again or a similar specimen and snap a pic so we'll be able to better identify it! c:

Back