• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Immersion debate: Silent protagonists vs. Developed characters

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
  • (Couldn't decide which forum this is most associated with. ^_^; It covers all games but mostly Pokemon. It's also for the purpose of a hack but is mostly a psychological debate. I'll post here but feel free to move it.)

So we're all used to the Pokemon series featuring silent protagonists for the sake of relating to the main character easier, and most of us like it this way. Generally, the more choices we have, the more gamers feel immersed to a game. Not all games follow this formula, as a lot of genres, typically JRPGs, tend to have defined characters with a straight story. This makes it easier to solidify the story telling of a plot-heavy game. So, which do you guys prefer: a silent protagonist to relate to, or an established character for a solid story?

For me, I feel more immersed with less choices. I play games for the story, so games like the Tales series appeal to me because all the characters are fleshed out people with their own dialogue and choices. The reason I don't usually like customizable and free protagonists is because we play from the perspective of gamers. We charge into battles because we saved, we get hurt because we can heal, so we don't consider our characters' feelings of mortality and pain. This ruins the story for me so I like games that are plot-heavy. There's nothing wrong with feeling the opposite way and liking silent protagonists, which is why this is a debate.

The reason this has dawned on me is because of the development of my hack. I've proceeded with a silent protagonist because that's how Pokemon games are. But I plan for my hack to be plot-heavy, with more feels than a normal Pokemon game. Having a silent protagonist will make this difficult, how can the main character remain silent and let the other main characters do the talking? It doesn't sit well with me, but because this has only recently dawned on me, I haven't considered a personality to give the main character were I to make him/her talk. Not to mention non-silent Pokemon protagonists aren't really well-received by the community. I've been making all major story decisions on my own, but this is one element I need input for. Should my Pokemon protagonist be silent or defined? That's the main reason I've started this debate, to see what helps immerse you guys most. Thanks for the input! :)

bcrobert

Lazy Antagonist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2022
    In pokemon, I prefer a silent character.

I think of the character as my avatar. That's my name. Those are my pokemon. That's ME. And I don't want the game to put words in my mouth. I've seen a few hacks pull it off by just having the character say obvious things that any player would say, but as soon as the character starts giving a speech about "his" ideals and goals I turn the game off and play something else. The key to making a silent character work plot-wise is to remember that you're interacting directly with the player.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I personally find silent protagonists bland and boring. That's why I never get attached to the main protagonist in the Pokemon games, but instead grow to love the Pokemon on my team.

In other words, I prefer characters with defined personalities.

Years
  • This is kind of a hard question to answer. I mean, you can have a silent protagonist that still has a very developed character. It's not Pokemon related, but Luigi is an example I'd give... especially in Luigi's Mansion 2. As for Pokemon, though... I really don't mind. It almost feels as if your character doesn't exist; they're just there to watch events unfold. And I'm totally fine with that.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I prefer me a silent protagonist, but I love games that employ that and choices. To me that is the full package in immersion. In that, you truly are the character. Because he only says what you would say.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I prefer me a silent protagonist, but I love games that employ that and choices. To me that is the full package in immersion. In that, you truly are the character. Because he only says what you would say.

I've considered that as well, but choices are hard to do. Ruby Destiny Life of Guardians did a thing with dialogue being chosen through the "yes", "no" options but that would only allow two choices at a time. It'd be difficult to do, and proposes another issue. I like linear plots, not multiple branching. If I were to do this, I'd probably go the Mass Effect route and have the choices be character defining only with no effect on the story. It's a nice thought, and would probably be a likely option if I could do choices. As it is now, it doesn't look like I can.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • You think you could branch but still focus on a linear story? Kind of like a mind trick where the choices affect the story at the time. But by the end the choices have not really affected the ending.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I have some minor deviations in mind, but those are simply results of special battles, I don't know how far I'd be willing to branch the story while keeping it linear. The closest I can think of is, as I mentioned, Mass Effect. That series has choices that ultimately affect just the personality of the main character, not doing much to the story itself. I would like to do this, but choices would be hard to pull off, just being limited to two at a time.

Years
  • Most of the time I prefer developed characters as I'm not a fan of being a blank slate other than having to use your imagination all the time.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • I like games that have silent protagonists, especially if you can customize them. It makes the game focus on the journey and adventure much more than if somebody said everything for you. A good example for this would be Animal Crossing (though it's not really an adventure).

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    A silent protagonist can sometimes not be bland and boring, silent protagonists like me in fallout/skyrim/animal crossing can make choices that defines who I am though you can't hear me speaking I am making choices based on my personality. I prefer either I don't are as long as I have fun.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • I suppose like you said it really does depend on the game. I like games where there is a talking protagonist if I want to know more about the story, about the people, etc.

That said, look at Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. Jak doesn't speak, but that's perfectly balanced in Daxter's yapping and the fact that everyone else explains most of the story/goings on and whatnot for you.

For a game like Pokemon, I think the silent character is better. How often do you really think your character makes a good contribution to the story? I think if your character were to talk it'd be a bit too intensive really. Rarely do I play hacks, and even less frequently do I find ones with intensive protagonist dialogue. Obviously it's a system that works and really, if it's not broke then don't fix it...

Years
  • I have no mouth and I must scream.

It is nice to have the character be all silent, but I still think it would be cool to have the character going through atleast SOME kind of emotions. It feels as though the character isn't affected by anything, just doesn't care. No emotions!
    I kinda liked the cinematic that played when the character faced with the legendary in X/Y. It displayed actual emotion coming from the character. More of that, please!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yea, infinite battle =D

For me it's like this...
    If you can name your protagonist and it's a choice based game, I want silent protagonist.
    If I'm playing as someone, I prefer developed character.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • This is such a great thread!

I think I can appreciate both styles (and the spectrum between them) equally. There are times where I absolutely agree with bcrobert's "my pokemon, my adventure" mindset. Other times, it's nice to be completely immersed into a story and some of my favorite games are dialogue-heavy with main characters interacting as, you know, actual characters.

I remember being a kid and thinking it was so weird that the main character wasn't talking. It didn't occur to me until I got older than the reason he wasn't talking was because he was supposed to be me, haha.

Thank you. This is such a big issue for me, the characters should interact as characters, but that strongly contradicts the personal adventure feeling. Then again, that's kind of a reoccurance of my hack, many things break the traditional Pokemon "formula". It's definately a hard decision.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That said, look at Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. Jak doesn't speak, but that's perfectly balanced in Daxter's yapping and the fact that everyone else explains most of the story/goings on and whatnot for you.
    Ugh when they changed him into this angsty "I'm here to murder you" jerk I felt so pissed. Jak being silent in the first game helped Daxter radiate presence and gave him a bigger role. The two were a perfect contrast. Once they made Jak talk, not only did they hurt him, but they also hurt Daxter to the point that he felt he was just "there".

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I'm cool with silent protags, but I like the main character when they talk. I like to see what they're thinking and feeling. I wanna empathize with them. I wanna see them grow as a person. In some games, though, I just prefer to have a silent protagonist. Like in Rune Factory.

Get away from my waifu, Lest.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • I gotta agree with Aus. I can respect both sides, some games work a lot better with silent protagonists (Elder Scrolls, Fallout) but some games need a developed main character (Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Walking Dead.) I think that games with developed main characters are the ones that attach on emotionally

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • That is my goal, to create emotional attachment. A developed character seems logical, but it's unusual for Pokemon.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Personally I like having a silent protagonist, it helps me focus more on the game than anything else, but at least giving them like emoticons popping up every now and then would make them actual people instead of soulless abominations that don't react to anything at all. But I'm chill with that.

But if its like a game where you play as a already developed character with a story and you just sorta follow with said story, then I would l enjoy it if they would be developed, because it helps me immerse myself into the game more.

Back