• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Incorrect Pokemon Types

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
it can reversal and brick break... and the reversal heracross is always a classic deadly killer, now with boosted speed of salac berry too (evil...)

Kingdra isn't that "unbeatable" really... as it got some big time limited moveset without sleep talk... against a kingdra nothing a mirror coat can't handle... the only physical attack it can learn is HP ???, secret power or return... Slaking gets killed by anyone with protect (a good time to send out ninjask to buff up). Kyogre is currently just paranoid about Shedinjas that it even sacrificed ice beam for ancientpower in standard sets. Well blissey... i can't really defend against that one x_x

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
...and a ground/dark tyranitar gets pwned by water, ice, and fighting, just to name a few. I'm not saying the above Pokemon were "unbeatable" (don't put words in my mouth please), I meant that they are very difficult to beat, especially for a new trainer or one like me who doesn't understand all of these move combos. Kingdra with a limited movepool? Heck, water and dragon can hit anything, and dragon breath may paralyze.

what is reversal anyway? a punch, kick, or slam? I know heracross gets fighting moves, it's just not a "traditional" fighter who punches and kicks.

Spike Razzor

"Don't argue, you failed..."
Years
Iveechan said:
what is reversal anyway? a punch, kick, or slam? I know heracross gets fighting moves, it's just not a "traditional" fighter who punches and kicks.
Its called a "Fluke" a mistake, like Gyarados and Venasaur ect.
Venasaur only learns Posion Power (dunno about R/S version). And Gyarados knows no Flying moves at all, like even if it was only water it could still own Ground and Ghost which are the only things Flying is good against.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
must we bring out Gyarados again... seems like i must drag out my old "essay paper" on Gyarados being part flying... it's due to the fact that Gyarados just got this insane attack power, and speed isn't bad too with 260s. Did i mention a modest Gyarados can pretty much sweep with 386 attack power + dragon dance, and use Earthquake on you? And just thank Gamefreak so much for not capable of learning Aerial ace... right now Gyarados is pretty close to unbeatable after 3 dragon dance unless it got paralyzed (which is usually done by electric types anyway). Flying type is needed for balancing reasons and to help Gyarados out. Earthquake is just so common for high atk stats Pokemon that it's not even funny. You need flying/levitate to live in 2vs2 as well. Since grass types are strong to earthquake, it's always nice to have some resistance against leaf blades for gyarados. With a strong 298 sp.def, it's only suitable to have a x4 electric weakness so gyarados can't have an easy life using dragon dance to sweep. Like what Kairi likes to say, the only dragon dancer without a x4 weakness is Kingdra (who has no use of it most of the time) and Latios. All the others are just pure power attacks like Tyranitar and Salamence, so a x4 weakness is needed for each and every one of them so you can put yourself out of your misery earlier and easier...

flying is never good against ghost... it's just neutral like water and electric and many other elements... (But we do know that every common ghost can screw Gyarados all over)

Kingdra... well nice stats and nice elemental combo! Wow i'm going to abuse this! What moves can you learn buddy/ *reads movelist* well um...

(Kingdra's move combo... just throw few of them together and you got a good kingdra)
-rest
-water pulse/surf
-rain dance
-dragon breath
-dragon dance
-ice beam
-return and other normal element attacks

what else... nothing much. Using normal attacks for Kingdra is rather rare, so usually Milotic comes in to mirror coat, Kingdra uses rest and Milotic uses recover... It'll just be a contest to see who runs out of PP first. Water moves are so common so the opponent will pretty much benefit from rain dance just as much as you, and Lanturn would appreciate its opponent to waste a turn doing its rain dance trick for it for STAB 100% accuracy thunder...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
and at the same time we see earthquaking Thyplosion, shadow punching Dusclops, tons of normal type learning focus punch, and best of all, a Venomoth who's part poison who can NATURALLY learn psychic too...

just cause you can learn it, that doesn't mean you can't be weak against it. We do see Pikachu suffer from many "electrical" diseases in the anime a lot too right?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I like

Return
Dragon Dance
Rest
Hidden Power

for Kingdra...

the point is if Gyrados was Dragon/Water it would be almost as bad as Mewtwo was on RBY. Undefeatable and can raise it's stats to unholy proportions.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
i'm not so fond of HP personally... as if you're doing things the real legal way, using HP right is close to impossible... So i avoid HP on my own Pokemon...

well either way, a Pokemon doesn't have to have a STAB move, and a Pokemon can be weak to a move that it is capable of learning.

Spike Razzor

Years
Iveechan said:
flying is good against grass, bug, and fighting. Venusaur can get sludge bomb in rs (took them long enough to give it a stab poison move).

I was speaking about its defencive ability, not what it can knockout. And can't true grass types learn Sludge Bomb? I never tryed cause I tought Arbok Sludge Bomb for soem strange reason =3.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Grass types without being part poison can learn sludge bomb... but that doesn't mean a grass/poison pokemon should lose its poison ability anyway cause you can do without it... well then if that's the truth then we don't need any types. Snorlax can learn ice attacks, fire attacks, ground attacks, fighting attacks, psychic, and so on... Pidgey can learn dark attacks, flying, normal, steel and etc...

Spike Razzor

Years
frostweaver said:
Grass types without being part poison can learn sludge bomb... but that doesn't mean a grass/poison pokemon should lose its poison ability anyway cause you can do without it... well then if that's the truth then we don't need any types. Snorlax can learn ice attacks, fire attacks, ground attacks, fighting attacks, psychic, and so on... Pidgey can learn dark attacks, flying, normal, steel and etc...
Well you still didn't give me a goood reason why, like from what I have seen Posion/Bug moves are the weakest kind of elements because they do close to nothing. And don't bring Snorlax up, its status makes it like God to anything trying to attack it. It can take any kind of attack and then go to sleep with its Snore combo. And yes Pidgey can learn Steel wing because it has wings (abviously), and persuit makes sence.

Last edited:

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
You don't have to be all sarcastic with the Kingdra thing, Frost. I still find its movepool good imho. Despite the good Attack, Kingdra is meant to be a special attacker, and I think Dragon Breath is still an annoying move. With STAB it's... I think 90 in power I think, and if it paralyzes you then you're screwed unless you're lucky. So it can't beat a special absorber like Blissey? Then... you switch to a physical user, unless the Kingdra does have the return/dragon dance combo. Unless a hazer comes out.

That's what's great about RS, there's a counter for *almost* everything. I still think a dragon dancing part Ground Tyranitar is beatable. Someone brings in an anti-type type on the switch in, forcing the Tyranitar to either switch out or risk being killed. If the Pokemon was a Suicune or Meganium, then they could survive a pumped up physical attack. Tyranitar's only current 4X weakness is fighting, and fighting pokemon and moves are not as commonly seen anyway.

Has it been mentioned that Volbeat/Illumise should be part Electric? I think it has. They can learn Electric moves with TM's, right?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
90 attack power dragonbreath still isn't that great... when you got the surf alternative at 142.5... but either way let's drop the kingdra issue aside for the moment.

Bug is certainly one of the strongest element. Being strong to dark, ghost, psychic and grass, bug type attacks are very powerful... if only there's more moves for the bug element. Right now there's only megahorn (but only horded by Rhyhorn and Heracross) and HP Bug... with a rare Silver Wind once in awhile. Bug moves are still rare... if you got "Silver Wind" as a tm in place of shockwave... you can imagine a world with everyteam having a Silver Wind-er. Bug attacks are major weaknesses to the great Shedinja, the every so annoying Dusclops, evil psychic legendaries, everyone's favorite dark type tank Umbreon, and finally the ghost type sp.att user Gengar... all these very common Pokemon are all weak to bug. How can you say bug is useless? If there's more bug attacks, then you'll see bug moves more often. Right now there's only 2 choices pretty much... Hidden Power or Silver Wind...

Poison does need a buff along with grass types, i'll agree on that part... The only poison moves nowadays is toxic. Sludge Bomb is a great move, but like Steel Wing, powerful but weak in terms of element... so therefore they're not a common sight in the metagame...

Snorlax is beatable as long as it doesn't have curse/rest... i don't really care what moves it got... it's all about cursing and resting for Snorlax. It's evil because there's only one pseduohazer that can safely remove Snorlax- Skarmory. Otherwise... well snore all you want... *brick break hits Snorlax*

Due to the great invention of Brick Break, which many Pokemon can learn as long as they have arms pretty much, fighting attacks are a lot more common. Fighting types got a big buff in my opinion in GSC, but got no good tms to make fighting moves common. Finally the amazing tm is invented, and brick break should be more commonly used to counter T-tar obviously, and also Regi-Ice which is also a common sight. Now the almight Snorlax can learn brick break as well, even Skarmory the last of the pseduohazers who can live against Snorlax is safe no more...

types that need to be buffed- grass, poison
types that need to be nerfed- dark (so far only dark)

Volbeat and Illumise should be part electric... then we wont' have so much "fillers"... giving it an unique type will at least give it some "use"... maybe...

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Snore? Nobody gives Snorlax Snore...

It has Block now, so it could easily set up if you don't switch to Skarmory first thing. Most Snorlaxes pack Fire Blast, Curse, Rest, and Double Edge (for taking out a few specific tanks Body Slam won't cover).

Hidden Power is used all the time, especially on Zapdos and Jolteon. Usually Hidden Power Water70, it can really make Zapdos or Jolteon insane. Jolteon makes a Substitute, they switch to ground type. Jolteon blasts it with Hidden Power, and even if it doesn?t finish off the Ground type, it has to tear through the sub first.

Fighting did rise up in GSC, and even more now. I suspect Bug will reach this "Ice" like level of power in the next game.

Blissey, with Skarmory and Suicune will beat out almost any strategy; it's usually accompanied by Curselax or Bonewak. No matter how many stupid Bonewaks I have taken out, it's still always hard to do. They too pack Fire Blast for Skarmory, and Swords Dance.

Well, a STAB'd Earthquake from a DD Tyranitar isn't weak, and if it has Chestorest then it'll be around well after it takes out the anti-type. Almost everything that learns Dragon Dance is overused these days. Plus, if you switch Tyranitar in, it takes out Shedinja without even doing a move.

Pezz

All Washed Up
Years
O.O

Wow, you guys really know a lot about Pokemon...

Anywho, I think that Golduck should be part psychic. He and Psyduck can learn psychic moves and they're always described as psychic ducks, so they should be psychic =D

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
ice is always overused... ice beam is just a must have on every team now to take out the dragons. It's just that STAB ice beam is rare in the older times with only Articuno to do the job with the occassional Lapras ice beam (which isn't that powerful even with STAB as it's only at an average stat for stats). And now it has risen up and joined the battle with Regi Ice who can tank and dish out great sp.att damage too with ice beam and thunderbolt.

Snorlax is even more evil than before... i can only think of Dusclops who can do a "draw" against Snorlax. Dusclops can set up for the evil double team+pressure combo as most Snorlax can't hit Dusclops (Snorlax's fire blast can't exactly kill anything but as a purpose to act as a Skarmory flak). Then it's just there to see if the Snorlax player will give in and switch out snorlax, or just sit around to waste PP for both Pokemon...

i'm personally not a great fan of Hidden Power... it's great but technically it shouldn't really be used as it's near impossible to get a pokemon with the right hidden power with the right personality in the actual gameboy advance game. But that doesn't mean it's a bad move, as it introduces a lot of surprises for the opponent.

At least be glad that there's brick break to surprise Blissey (still not likely to rid the evil egg once and for all but better than nothing), Dusclops to stall with Curselax, and Bonewak is no more... Suicune now has its own counterpart to face off now (Regi Ice) which will lead into an interesting match... Suicune having mirror coat or not will decide its fate against Regi Ice (reflecting the thunderbolt back will hurt a lot...)

Dragon dancers are so commonly used, and it's not surprising. It's pretty much the opposite of curse. Curse allows a Pokemon to become a fortress, while Dragon Dance gives a Pokemon the ability of assassination, or just KO. Pokemon like Charizard in the past bend both ways to use sp.att and att together. Now it has become a physical attacker most of the time (either using dragon dance or sword dance as the buff).

if any certain moves need balancing, it has to be rest... reduce the PP down to 5 will make all Curselax's opponents happier. Also the games won't take half as long anymore then... (but however... 5 pp rest will make Dusclops even more common than now... hmm...)

PS: Whoever said Pokemon isn't complicated... read and look at all these junk

Kairi

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Suicune has Calm Mind now however, although Regice has Amnesia. So yeah, that's kind of a draw there.

Hidden Power isn't good on the GBA, but you have to realize arguing it's obtainablilty, you could also bring up the impossibility of perfect IV Pok?mon, and shiny etc. Online battling is the theoretical maximum level of play and assumes the greatest values on the variables that, while impractical on the Gameboy, are certainly possible.

Spike Razzor

Years
frostweaver said:
Bug is certainly one of the strongest element. Being strong to dark, ghost, psychic and grass, bug type attacks are very powerful... if only there's more moves for the bug element. Right now there's only megahorn (but only horded by Rhyhorn and Heracross) and HP Bug... with a rare Silver Wind once in awhile. Bug moves are still rare... if you got "Silver Wind" as a tm in place of shockwave... you can imagine a world with everyteam having a Silver Wind-er. Bug attacks are major weaknesses to the great Shedinja, the every so annoying Dusclops, evil psychic legendaries, everyone's favorite dark type tank Umbreon, and finally the ghost type sp.att user Gengar... all these very common Pokemon are all weak to bug. How can you say bug is useless? If there's more bug attacks, then you'll see bug moves more often. Right now there's only 2 choices pretty much... Hidden Power or Silver Wind...
Yes but have you see how low there overall status is? and most bugs are part posion which makes there weak to Psychic. Just some like Butterfree, that other one in RS and Heracross can prob stand up to 2-3 hits before they get knocked out. And Ghost attacks I don't know if they do weakness damage to any Pokemon, I think. Counting on, Megahorn is pretty useless seeing how it won't live long enough to do much. Ghost, Grass, Psychic 3 types I rarely use for battling with elements. No fear from weak bug attacks. Posion really needs to comeback here, the only one that does damage when it hits is prob Posion sting & Acid. And we already know thats a waste of a turn. And Grass its only weak to Fire, and Ice, good against Water. Seems fine to me, Maybe teach something Sunny Day then Solar beam seems to be the only way of striking for this type then again, there is Leaf Blade but I dunno how much it does but it did seem good when it nearly kill me off in RS.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Spike Razzor said:
Yes but have you see how low there overall status is? and most bugs are part posion which makes there weak to Psychic. Just some like Butterfree, that other one in RS and Heracross can prob stand up to 2-3 hits before they get knocked out. And Ghost attacks I don't know if they do weakness damage to any Pokemon, I think. Counting on, Megahorn is pretty useless seeing how it won't live long enough to do much. Ghost, Grass, Psychic 3 types I rarely use for battling with elements. No fear from weak bug attacks. Posion really needs to comeback here, the only one that does damage when it hits is prob Posion sting & Acid. And we already know thats a waste of a turn. And Grass its only weak to Fire, and Ice, good against Water. Seems fine to me, Maybe teach something Sunny Day then Solar beam seems to be the only way of striking for this type then again, there is Leaf Blade but I dunno how much it does but it did seem good when it nearly kill me off in RS.

once again, bug attacks don't have to come from STAB. Recall the memories of Bonewak please... Bug Pokemon (majority of them) are fillers and are not usable. But there's Heracross, Scizor, Shedinja, Ninjask and a few others that's completely compatible with the metagame.

Heracross can stand 2-3 rounds like you say. And you think there's not long enough staying power to pull off the almight megahorn? Well my friend... power of the jolly Heracross comes when it's at 1 hp with salac berry... reversal megahorn sweep... it's pretty fast with jolly and salac berry together. If you are still unsecure, pass an agility then. Plus psychic types don't have any physical def to last a STAB megahorn from heracross...

The ohter bug, Shedinja is definitely worth mentioning. Its influence on the game is so great that it scared the uber Kyogre into abandoning ice beam for ancientpower just for the pure purpose of ridding this guy. Shedinja is a powerful Pokemon in many situations (though it's also easily killed in many other situations). Its other evolution Ninjask is by no doubt the best baton passer in the history of Pokemon. With speed boost for free agility, and sword dance for the frightening power, it is a support Pokemon to be feared off. If it got sucessful passes on to Gyarados... then feel the wrath...

the signature move for the poison element must be no doubt toxic... chop my head off if toxic is not useful.

Grass weakness- flying, ice, fire, bug, poison
Grass resistance- water, grass, electric, ground

exactly how many flamethrowers, ice beam and aerial ace do we see? a whole darn lot... Dragonite, Salamence, Altaria, Shedinja, Alakazam (and its 3 punches), kingdra, Fire Blasting Snorlax and many many others all have one of these 3 moves. Grass type is in deep trouble.

Is using sunny day helping yourself, or are you committing suicide? Do we need an Altaria or Flygon doing KO on a Sceptile? Leaf Blade is good but not enough still. It's only power 75 attack power... only equal to the punches, not the bolts/throwers/beam yet. More improvement is still needed but it's still a great improvement. But grass attacks got no TM of its own like brick break or aerial ace... so grass attacks come from STABbed ones only. Grass type Pokemon can learn close to no other attack but sludge bomb and grass attacks. Sceptile is one of the very few exceptions to learning other attacks (crunch and dclaw). Grass types are actually in big trouble. It is doomed.

Back