• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Inversed Typing

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There's this Pokémon trainer on Route 18; when battling him, all typing effects would be reversed. For example, grass is super-effective against water. Instead, though, it's water that would be super-effective against grass. Anyway, have you ever battled him? If so, what did you think? Do you wish there were more trainers like him around? Approximately how many wins and losses have you had against him in total? :p

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    I have battled him but only 2 times(1 time on each play through on my y) and it was rather frustrating as it messed up my thinking a bit,it would be amazing if some areas have them and would be challenging if an elite four or even the champion were an inverse battle 0.0

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I have battled him a few times and think its quite the interesting concept. At first its difficult to think in opposites, at least to me, since the typings are so ingrained in my brain xD thats why i enjoyed battling him, because it was different and not just another random trainer battle. They could add a trainer like him from time to time, just to have some diversity, but without overdoing it please

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    We mainly abuse him for stones (False Swipe).

From what we can tell, Normal is ridiculously overpowered. It's only weakness is Ghost, a rather obscure offensive type in Inverse and Normal attacks are completely unresisted. They are basically dragons on crack.

Ice is pretty good defensively. Avalugg is probably the only one who can switch into CB-Reckless-Staraptor's Double Edge because all other defensive behemoths are now weak to Normal/Flying.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I'm pretty new to pokemon, so I didn't like it. It was way too confusing, unfortunately. I like the concept, though. I'll have to give it another try. You said we can get evolution stones from him?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I'm pretty new to pokemon, so I didn't like it. It was way too confusing, unfortunately. I like the concept, though. I'll have to give it another try. You said we can get evolution stones from him?
    If you score between 7 and 9 super-effective hits (mostly done with False Swipe) you will receive three random stones of one type. Unfortunately, you cannot determine which kind of stones you will get. The last time got three Water Stones which are comlpetely useless because those can be bought. Another time we have received Everstone (they apparently count as evo stones).

Years
  • Yeah I do the False Swipe strategy as well, it's just that you need a Pokemon that can deal with him that isn't too heavy on weaknesses under the inverse rules. At least he's an alternative way to get evolution stones without having to use Super Training, because I know I suck at ST so battling him helped me get some of the stones I needed.

Still, it's kinda bumming that Fire, Leaf and Water Stones are among the possible prizes because you can actually just buy those at that shop in Lumiose City. Still, I find it annoying you have to land at least seven super-effective hits on him just to get the evolution stone because if you get less than that you just get a berry.

If you score between 7 and 9 super-effective hits (mostly done with False Swipe) you will receive three random stones of one type.

Just a pointer that you only get three of one type of the evolution stones (or berries) if none of your Pokemon faint in the battle. If he does manage to take one of your team members out you'll only get just one of that item.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I thought it was really cool. It puts such an interesting twist on battling. I actually had a really hard time against him at first, which was frustrating because I really needed the stones.

I'm hoping that when Z comes around they make it an option in Wi-Fi battles. I'd also like to see them expand on it in-game, like having more random encounter NPC trainers challenge you to inverse battles. The way it is now, you're usually prepared for inverse battles when you challenge Inver. Instead, it'd be cool if they happened unexpectedly.

Years
  • I find it pretty fun as well, I like to do it daily when i'm trying to train up a new Pokémon. And yeah like Cathy said, I would love to see it as an option for Wi-Fi battles, that'd be funny.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Well, Smogon has Inverse Battle under Other Metagames. Funnily, Groundon is not banned.

Sun Sweeping seems to be the new fad this month. Venusaur has perfect STAB coverage and Groudon counters all Grass walls that stand intheir way. Let's see how the metagame develops.

Years
  • Seems like a neat idea, but I haven't tried it myself. I imagine dudes like Magcargo and Parasect have got to be pretty amazing under those rules.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    Seems like a neat idea, but I haven't tried it myself. I imagine dudes like Magcargo and Parasect have got to be pretty amazing under those rules.
    They didn't; we are quick to forget that inverse typing works both ways. Magcargo is quad-weak to Fire in a metagame where Charizard-Y dominates. Grass types as a whole got buffed but Parasect's stats are still unimpressive and because of its massive weakness against Grass still often fall prey to other more popular picks like Venusaur, Charizard's best friend.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • It's wonderful!~

I really enjoyed playing by this concept, it made the game more interesting... and in a way interesting, I heard of the false swipe technique awhile ago, but never bothered to put it into action, but I did manage to get a rare Evolution stone anyways, because my HM slave was apparently practically immune to everything he got, and just super-effectived everything. It was swell.

Years
  • We mainly abuse him for stones (False Swipe).

From what we can tell, Normal is ridiculously overpowered. It's only weakness is Ghost, a rather obscure offensive type in Inverse and Normal attacks are completely unresisted. They are basically dragons on crack.

Ice is pretty good defensively. Avalugg is probably the only one who can switch into CB-Reckless-Staraptor's Double Edge because all other defensive behemoths are now weak to Normal/Flying.

Yeah Ice-types finally have something good for them defensively I have to admit, but as I agree Normal-types definitely becomes overpowered because as you said, its only inverse weakness is Ghost plus it hits everything unresisted, along with being super-effective on Ghost, Rock and Steel-types. Yeah, under the inverse mechanics the Honedge, Aron and Shieldon lines, alongside Probopass become the only Pokemon to have quadruple weaknesses to Normal. Doesn't help Inver's Snorlax carries a Life Orb as well, he's basically a competitive player on drugs.

Oh, and in terms of type coverage Grass and Bug really become amazing here because they have an advantage over 7 types each under inverse mechanics, but also because there's a good load of type combinations that suffer major quadruple Bug and/or Grass weaknesses in inverse.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    It was fun, played once but I had to stop and think carefully for attacks and which pokemon to use haha.

Crzyphl

The Crazy Phil
    Years
  • It's hard! And Inver's got some pretty good strategies too. Somehow he trapped me with an encore and torment play so that my pokemon could only use struggle!
    Don't know about u guys, but im so used to knowing whats good against what that i pretty much suck at those inverse battles. And i dont know "not very effective"s as well as "super effective"s.
    Like, i didnt know that psychic was not very effective against psychic.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I loved the battle, it forces me to think of a different strategy to win. Many, many times I keep forgetting its an inverse battle and I keep "choosing the wrong type" for battle and loose a Pokemon really fast.

Every time I battle that guy, I battle for the fun of the battle, don't care much for the stones

I wish there where more inverse battles - like double battles or triple battles, or a gym leader.

edit: I battled that guy 5 times, so far: 2 wins, 3 loses.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's hard! And Inver's got some pretty good strategies too. Somehow he trapped me with an encore and torment play so that my pokemon could only use struggle!
    Don't know about u guys, but im so used to knowing whats good against what that i pretty much suck at those inverse battles. And i dont know "not very effective"s as well as "super effective"s.
    Like, i didnt know that psychic was not very effective against psychic.

Yeah he's basically a competitive player on drugs. Particularly the fact his Pokemon tend to have some good type coverage in their movesets and they carry held items which is another thing competitive players do.

He also tries to always land a super-effective hit on you, and it can be hard getting the evolution stones since you have to land 7 super-effective hits on him, otherwise you have to settle for a berry.

Back