• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is an all-encompassing Pokémon hack possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    I had a dream not too long ago about a Pokémon hack that included Kanto, the Orange Archipelago, Johto, and Hoenn in a single game. That's 28 badges (42 if you count silver and gold Frontier symbols), three championships, and all 386 Pokémon from the first three generations. Given the state of DS hacking, Sinnoh and the 107 Pokémon that come with it are obviously off-limits for now. I was just curious if it were possible to make a hack like this, since it would obviously take up more data-space than a normal GBA cartridge could hold. Just a pointless question I came up with.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    In short: No, no you can't.

I disagree. It's an very ambitious project ok, but it could be done after a lot, really a lot of work. Anyway, if you're planning to put your hacked ROM on a normale GBA cartridge the free space won't be sure enough.

Cryomancer

blocks your path.
    Years
  • Can't you just add zeros to the end of the rom for extra data space?

If anything I think the hardest part of this would be the badges. Adding all the pokemon into one game is pretty simple, maps shouldn't be a huge deal unless there's some sort of limit to tilesets you can use. There could also be issues with the fact that you'd arrive in a new region already knowing surf, cut, etc.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2007
    He could make it as if each region is intertwined, like you have to go to kanto to get surf but, in honnen gets cut.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
  • FR has four world maps
    You can just stick to 8 badges in the trainer card and add more badges later.
    There's plenty of free space, so in fire red or leaf green it could be doable.
    So, can it be done?: yes
    Will you do it? : oh no you le didn't! It's a hell of a lot of work and I bet you would give up before ending it. So well, try it if you want to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2012
    Maybe it would be a good idea to get 3 or 4 different teams to make a map each and join them together at the end.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I already tried to do that... But I failed in the end... I was hacking PKMN Ruby and there I put three warps inside the truck which will lead you to Kanto, Johto and Hoenn.

It worked out okay at first, but when I tried to play in Hoenn, the script was all messed up! PROF. BIRCH is gone! (and I haven't done anything in hoenn)! The mom of your character wont let you out of your room!

To make it short, Hoenn was a total mess!
    But even so.., if I reached that far, so could you, or maybe even further.
    Just don't give up on your dream!

It may not sound possible, but it's not impossible...

TAMASHII helped me out too, even though she had no hope that it'll be successful... Oh well...

BlackRainbow*

Pokemon Coralo Version ?
    Years
  • It can be done if you use Rom Expander like Kike-Scoot will use it in pokemon Crystal Shards. Rom expander resize your rom and add more free space into your rom so there is more space to do maps and other stuff. But where to get Rom Expander i don't know. You should ask kike-scoot

nickwarr_182

The Bringer Of Destruction
    Years
  • I'd say it's easier to do by hacking FR/LG, since they already have two different maps. You could find out how to add more, and make all the regions into one game.

Oh, and destinedjagold, if something's not possible, then it's impossible for it to not be impossible.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    KebaSun, thanks for that info... If ever I'll find that "rom expander".., I'll post its whereabouts here...

nickwarr182,
    I said "it may not sound possible".

SOUND... "... it may sound impossible..."

I guess what I meant is like what you understood...

"...it may sound impossible, but it is not..."

Oh well...........

magnetflygon

Begginner Rom Hacker
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 3, 2009
    I figure it may be possible especially if you took all of the maps, inside and out, for each town and such, and placed it on one map, namely the main map of the town. From there, just add the events and whatnot.

Tentachu

Movie Making Expert
    Years
  • It's possible, sure. By adding 0s to the end like Cryomancer said, you could make a hack with everything. Don't know about flash cart playability though...

Hang on, is playability a word?!?

Anyway, yes it is possible, it would just take a long time. A very long time. If someone started now, we might see it by November....

2008, that is...

Juniorslick

Gengar-The Original Ghost Poke
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2008
    Rom hacking teams kinda sound like a great idea.........

A thread could be made to show all teams and each team could make a thread releasing there hack................and the hack of the year could go to the team that had best hack

Each team would have about 4-5 members

*just an idea though dont take it seriously

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I bet it could be done, but you'd need some experinced rom-hackers and alot of free time. It would take a long time, but I doubt it's impossible. Wouldn't it be great if nintendo made a game like that? Or if fr/lg had acess to Johto.... man, that would be awwwweeeessooommme.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2007
    How could you make a big game when you can only make a limited amount of tiles without having to replace the old tiles and pokemon/

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    Well, I am pleased with the discussion, so far. I would like to say, though, that I have no current plans to make this game. I merely wondered if it was even possible. I have another question that stems from my thoughts on the subject, though. The Orange Archipelago is the region that the games forgot. Any maps made for such a region would have to be crafted by the hacker.

Because of its neglected status, hacks that focus on the Orange Archipelago have always been my favorites. Unfortunately, I have yet to play a completed hack (one that goes through the battle with Drake). Has any Orange Islands hack ever been finished? I'd like to know, even if it was a hack for the GB/GBC generations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back