• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is an open world feasible?

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2017
I was trying to think of an original or unused idea for a romhack and I thought maybe an open world could be possible? I thought of using some sort of generic fantasy setting because it could fit with the open world idea. Here is a world I made in Dwarf Fortress that can be used as the region.

fvuz49t.png

If you don't know what a certain thing on the map represents then just ask but it's kinda self explanatory

This is the incomplete list of features/to do list I would refer to for work
-Modern mechanics of course
-All Pokemon available
-Fakemon, some based on mythical creatures
-Certain Pokemon like Tropius are changed to make them viable in battle
-Pokedex entries are edited to fit in with the old fantasy setting (No mention of cyberspace in Porygon's entry)
-Mega Evolution (very hard to obtain, good luck finding the ring!)
-Three races, Dwarf, Human, Elf and each has different starters to give (Might not work too well)
-No gyms but tournaments instead with different rules and styles
-Every tournament can be fought in any order and scale in difficulty (Could it work?)

This is just a stupid idea I wanted to refine. I wanted to go big and bold to get me more interested in rom hacking and that's what I came up with. It might not even end up based on a fantasy setting in the end.

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
Yes, an open world hack is possible. The only issue I see is scaling the trainers to match the player's progress. Each trainer would have to have a bunch of different "forms" and there are only so many trainers to work with.

Scripting wise, it would be as simple as any other hack.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Yes, but trainers would usually not wwnt to take on certain Gyms, etc, immediately. So it might be similar. The races would need more difference, or it's just starter choice! Tournaments like the anime League in that setting might be strange, unless it's Japan or similar to martial arss. Good luck!

Maybe if trainers can wandr around 3 or 4 cities at a time?

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
You'd actually have better luck doing this in Essentials than you would in a ROM hack. Essentials has formulas for level scaling, which would be a necessity in an open-world Pokemon game, and there's no ROM hacking equivalent at the moment. Essentials also doesn't have the same limitations as ROM hacking so you'd be able to do things like your tournament, etc.

Years
level scaling hacks are possible tho
as is hacking the wild pokemon routine
so really, yes it is, and without too much trouble if you know ASM/C and have a clear idea of what you're going to do.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
level scaling hacks are possible tho
as is hacking the wild pokemon routine
so really, yes it is, and without too much trouble if you know ASM/C and have a clear idea of what you're going to do.
tbh c seems a little overkill for this
tumblr_o6fesdFoXR1s2wio8o1_500.gif

just a poquito though

i do actually remember fbi wanting to do something like that for his hack
wonder what ever happened there ahaha

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I could see having something similar to the older Final Fantasies with a world map connecting actual features of the world together working, but truly open world would be difficult to do well in the Pokemon framework. The screen is small, so if you have a whole lotta nothing on screen, your players will get disoriented. People think open world means wide-open, large maps with nothing in them, but that simply does not translate into the Pokemon games in any significant capacity. On top of that, creating content for an open world setting is difficult, as either everything is going to be disjoint (messing with the ability to have a cohesive story) or things are going to have to happen at particular times and places anyway (so why have an open world if you're forced to do plot in specific locations).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
If by open world you mean 'can roam to any map in almost any order', and 'pokemon and trainers scale', that's definitely doable. Use 'No HMs' hack plus JPANhack which has a function to set pokemon to the same level as your team. You won't even have to learn ASM.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
You'd actually have better luck doing this in Essentials than you would in a ROM hack. Essentials has formulas for level scaling, which would be a necessity in an open-world Pokemon game, and there's no ROM hacking equivalent at the moment. Essentials also doesn't have the same limitations as ROM hacking so you'd be able to do things like your tournament, etc.

Level scaling is incredibly doable in a ROM hack. ROM hacks can also do the tournaments and stuff too lol.

Back