• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it accetable to gate out content based on IPv6 of all things?

Years
  • I mean, net is supposed to be open on the principle and while this sort of 'gatekeeping' is thankfully nearly nonexistent, it can be quite a nasty surprise whenever you do encounter such 'gatekeeping'. Off from the top of my head, the only instance of such I have personally encountered happens to be on a 'chan of all things.

Years
  • i'm honestly confused by what your thread has to do with ipv6

Do you wish for me to elaborate? Very well then. Imagine you're browsing an average web site when you hit one particular section of it and surprise! That particular section's somehow gated so that only users with IPv6 connections can access it, throwing up an error message otherwise. Again, it's thankfully rare as of now but these can exist just so you know.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I mean. The internet gating content is nothing new, all websites do it in some way or another with browser requirements.

They try to cast wide nets but they eventually stop for their own sanity. I'd rather Google and Apple were not building a monopoly, specially in the mobile space but that's a different story.

That kind of thing you mentioned seems more like an error than an intended gatekeep but as long as it isn't some kind of vital service (like say, governmental organizations) it's their prerogative.

A prerogative likely to cause loss of business, but their prerogative nonetheless - using IPv4 isn't a protected class.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Gatekeeping to IPv6 not only would make not much sense to do (someone having IPv6 or not tells you nothing about their security practices, whehter they have a credit card to buy stuff with, etc), but also would be rather difficult to do correctly (or not!) with current infrastructure. This because, given IPv4 is contested space already, there's lots of mostly invisible IPv4-to-IPv6 bridging.

Sounds more like a skill issue with one of the relevant technicians / programmers not doing their job correctly (or at all).

Back