• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon Sun and Moon(Anime)worth watching?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    The animation style isn't a viable reason to not watch imo. Other than Ash and Team Rocket's designs, the rest of the series is actually quite nice visually. The slapstick isn't for everyone, and there's not a ton of battling and the storyline is very slowly progressing. I do think the slapstick works given the nature of the series, and there's been a few really good episodes (the episode where Lillie's Vulpix hatches, Ash catches Litten, and Gladion's debut) along with a few that aren't so great. Character development has been pretty low other than Lillie and I wish they'd give Kuwai more action, but Sophacles, Team Skull, and Rotom are the only characters that I could do without. Team Rocket's mostly been unnecessary, but they've had some funny moments. The school really isn't that big of a thing in the series other than a place for the group to gather and to set up something happening later in the episode. The Z-moves look really cool in action.

Basically I would say give it a chance before you decide to not watch. It's not great, but it's pretty entertaining at times and I like the faster pace compared to XY.

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I watched the first few episodes but dropped it due to the animation. I'll probably catch up this fall in one fell swoop, or at the very least I'll watch the episode(s) with Brock and Misty.

I would suggest that you give it a chance as well. We might eventually get used to it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    The Animation/Art style is a noticeable and eerie change for those that have been watching the Anime for some time, especially if you liked the Kalos series where a lot of people considered Ash looked like a mature badass. Then you see Sun and Moon and the reaction is pretty much a universal WTF!? Since there is no League(so far, things might change), the travel aspect has largely been removed save for one trip and roughly 8 Episodes on Akala Island. Everything else has occurred on the island of Melemele.

Then throw in the anemic pace of captures and Evolutions(although that's an unfair criticism, even by XY standards), the lack of battling(only two Kahuna battles, one rival battle that was interrupted and a few Totem trials(including Lana's)) and you get a very bland and fillerish series so far.

Is it Pokemon? Yes but to quote Hikamaru from another thread, it's trying to be something it's not and ultimately that's hurting it big time so far. With them bringing back Brock and Misty for a couple episodes(if not more), perhaps this series may redeem itself in time.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    The Animation/Art style is a noticeable and eerie change for those that have been watching the Anime for some time, especially if you liked the Kalos series where a lot of people considered Ash looked like a mature badass. Then you see Sun and Moon and the reaction is pretty much a universal WTF!? Since there is no League(so far, things might change), the travel aspect has largely been removed save for one trip and roughly 8 Episodes on Akala Island. Everything else has occurred on the island of Melemele.

Then throw in the anemic pace of captures and Evolutions(although that's an unfair criticism, even by XY standards), the lack of battling(only two Kahuna battles, one rival battle that was interrupted and a few Totem trials(including Lana's)) and you get a very bland and fillerish series so far.

Is it Pokemon? Yes but to quote Hikamaru from another thread, it's trying to be something it's not and ultimately that's hurting it big time so far. With them bringing back Brock and Misty for a couple episodes(if not more), perhaps this series may redeem itself in time.

I agree with you, Ilove Pokemon and I adored XY(Z) with all my heart.
    I DO watch Pokemon Sun and Moon. I can ignore the lack of gyms, the aweful school concept etc. But the new artstyle still ruins it for me.. Even tho Misty and Brock r back, something I've been waiting for SO LONG, they feel like diff characters since they look different. I am trying to get used to it, don't get me wrong, but that's how I feel for now. I think that XY/movie 20th artstyle was PERFECT and I dont understand why they couldnt keep using that in SM.
    I also dont want Serena to show up, as much as I LOVE her character, since I don't want to see her in that goofy artstyle. I feel like the characters went into Pegasus Cartoon world from Yu Gi Hoo ( If any1 knows what Im talking about hehe).
    Thats all <3

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    If you're okay with the major stylistic change in the animation, then yes, I can recommend Pokemon Sun/Moon to you. The story is much more childish than it once was (slapstick) but the heart of the show is all the same. So, I'd give it a three episode test, maybe and see if it's for you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The only thing that's going to make the Sun/Moon anime saga potentially bearable is Misty and Brock's return (especially Misty's return), not to mention the possible return of Pidgeot as well after how Ash thanks to the AG writers essentially pulled a Damian on Pidgeot. Other than that, I'm sorry, but having Ash essentially going back to school despite his never indicating a need for school is far beyond the pale. The animation style quite frankly is not my cup of tea either, but I'd forgive even that if they at least kept Ash doing his goal instead of basically ripping off Emperor Kuzco in Emperor's New School. They didn't do even that.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I agree with you, Ilove Pokemon and I adored XY(Z) with all my heart.
    I DO watch Pokemon Sun and Moon. I can ignore the lack of gyms, the aweful school concept etc. But the new artstyle still ruins it for me.. Even tho Misty and Brock r back, something I've been waiting for SO LONG, they feel like diff characters since they look different. I am trying to get used to it, don't get me wrong, but that's how I feel for now. I think that XY/movie 20th artstyle was PERFECT and I dont understand why they couldnt keep using that in SM.
    I also dont want Serena to show up, as much as I LOVE her character, since I don't want to see her in that goofy artstyle. I feel like the characters went into Pegasus Cartoon world from Yu Gi Hoo ( If any1 knows what Im talking about hehe).
    Thats all <3

Cartoon world in Yu-gi-oh... hah that's a good one. Actually I think they tried copying other shows like Yokai Watch and it just falls flat for older viewers used to the old style. If you had never seen Pokemon before Sun and Moon, you wouldn't notice anything peculiar but if you've been around the block or loved previous series, then Sun and Moon's change can be an instant turn-off.

Years
    I'm that person CodeHelmet mentioned, but I will still give you my input.

Personally, I don't like this saga at all. The art style is extremely crappy and makes characters' faces look dorky (especially you, Ash) plus it pulls a complete 180 with the format, abandoning the travelling aspect in favour of taking place at a school on Melemele Island. There's also much less battling than ever, in fact we've only just a very small amount so far compared to other series.

And now Ash himself... where do I begin! I'm someone who enjoyed Ash in DP and XY because he was actually showing maturity, but unfortunately like how DP was followed up with BW which turned Ash back into a complete noob, SM follows a similar "reset" of Ash but while this time his battling skills weren't reset (seriously, he's been like defeating the trials so easily at the moment which I am annoyed at). However, his personality was a huge downgrade compared to the previous series, in that he's acting way too childish and also seems to have a sudden addiction to ice cream, so much to the point it'll be his only way to get motivated. Also, unlike previous series he doesn't show any signs of dedication to his goal. Then there's his new design... not only does his face look creepy, but he's also got his worst outfit to date because it was literally copy and pasted from the S/M games, except with a red hat.

The new companions aren't too bad, but Lillie is the only one I care about. Sadly, their group chemistry with Ash is very lackluster, to the point it made Iris and Cilan in BW look better in comparison (and you know it's bad when BW is looking better). Thankfully, Misty and Brock will be appearing in a few episodes next month, but I don't think it'll be enough to save my disdain for this series.

And finally, the overuse of comedy and slapstick. This series has Ash being an absolute Butt Monkey who seems to get attacked by every single Pokemon, on top of being extremely childish and dumb. But I saved the best... or I mean, worst for last and that is there are a lot of over-the-top facial expressions. These faces appear so often that it completely ruins the feel of some episodes, and has been pushing a lot of people away from the anime.

As Weedle said, I stated that Sun & Moon is trying to be something that it's not. The school slice-of-life format and Rotom Dex's role show it's trying to copy Yo-Kai Watch, while the forced comedy is something commonly seen in shows like Teen Titans Go! as well as two crappy Cartoon Network reboots that I shall never speak of.

Personally, I'd say watch a few episodes before you make a final decision on if this series is for you or not.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
    I'm that person CodeHelmet mentioned, but I will still give you my input.

Personally, I don't like this saga at all. The art style is extremely crappy and makes characters' faces look dorky (especially you, Ash) plus it pulls a complete 180 with the format, abandoning the travelling aspect in favour of taking place at a school on Melemele Island. There's also much less battling than ever, in fact we've only just a very small amount so far compared to other series.

And now Ash himself... where do I begin! I'm someone who enjoyed Ash in DP and XY because he was actually showing maturity, but unfortunately like how DP was followed up with BW which turned Ash back into a complete noob, SM follows a similar "reset" of Ash but while this time his battling skills weren't reset (seriously, he's been like defeating the trials so easily at the moment which I am annoyed at). However, his personality was a huge downgrade compared to the previous series, in that he's acting way too childish and also seems to have a sudden addiction to ice cream, so much to the point it'll be his only way to get motivated. Also, unlike previous series he doesn't show any signs of dedication to his goal. Then there's his new design... not only does his face look creepy, but he's also got his worst outfit to date because it was literally copy and pasted from the S/M games, except with a red hat.

The new companions aren't too bad, but Lillie is the only one I care about. Sadly, their group chemistry with Ash is very lackluster, to the point it made Iris and Cilan in BW look better in comparison (and you know it's bad when BW is looking better). Thankfully, Misty and Brock will be appearing in a few episodes next month, but I don't think it'll be enough to save my disdain for this series.

And finally, the overuse of comedy and slapstick. This series has Ash being an absolute Butt Monkey who seems to get attacked by every single Pokemon, on top of being extremely childish and dumb. But I saved the best... or I mean, worst for last and that is there are a lot of over-the-top facial expressions. These faces appear so often that it completely ruins the feel of some episodes, and has been pushing a lot of people away from the anime.

As Weedle said, I stated that Sun & Moon is trying to be something that it's not. The school slice-of-life format and Rotom Dex's role show it's trying to copy Yo-Kai Watch, while the forced comedy is something commonly seen in shows like Teen Titans Go! as well as two crappy Cartoon Network reboots that I shall never speak of.

Personally, I'd say watch a few episodes before you make a final decision on if this series is for you or not.

Fixed one error but didn't catch the other one. As for the CN reboots, would they be Ben 10 and PPG(I remember this one and yeah... that was an eyesore)? I know TTG can't be one because you mentioned it lol(btw, they're running the "good" Teen Titans early in the morning and later in the evening).

I recommend watching the first two Episodes of SM and deciding what you like about the show. If you like Lillie, Episodes 8, 14 and 30 are Lillie focused Episodes(with her Snowy having an important part in Episode 22). If you like Lana, try Episode 5, 32 and 33, although she has a few comedic moments in Episodes 16, 24, 28, 29 and 30. Mallow has kind of gotten shafted so far with Episode 18 really her only bright spot until the latest Episode 39 where she goes to Ogamaru's Tavern and is like Lisa Simpson whining to the barkeep while drinking down some good juice.

Kiawe has had several Episodes(11 and 34 being the notable ones but 28, 29, 30 and 33 have some comedic moments). Sophacles I honestly question why he's there but if you like the fatter version of Clemont, then Episodes 6 and 26 are his time in the spotlight(with 32 cementing his typical nerd stereotype). As for Ash, 4, 9, 10, 15, 21, 27, 36, 37 and 38 are worth noting(captures and important battles). Also has a decent comedic moment in Episode 28.

TLDR: The series is worth watching but only if you can stomach the over-exaggerated facial expressions and slapstick comedy.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018

I think you're overblowing this a little bit. Yes he's really childish compared to being mature and confident in XY, but in every series and even XY he had his childish moments. He's ALWAYS pigged out on food whenever given the chance. I disagree he's showing no dedication to his goal-- he's been wanting to battle whenever he sees the opportunity and they still have him mention being a Pokémon master, it's just that he's been slow with completing the trials and he has a less than full team. And he's always been attacked by Pokémon or something else in some way. The childishness is even more apparent this season, but I think it's just that everything in Alola is new to him and he's overexcited and having fun. Ash certainly isn't the best example to show to kids though, I'll give you that.

I do agree about Ash's design and the over-the-top facial expressions. Ash's design could definitely be better, especially compared with the other characters. I keep thinking the Z-move animation would look even cooler with the XY design. The facial expressions are mostly unnecessary, and some are borderline creepy to the point that I'm surprised the dub keeps them in.

Kiawe has had several Episodes(11 and 34 being the notable ones but 28, 29, 30 and 33 have some comedic moments). Sophacles I honestly question why he's there but if you like the fatter version of Clemont, then Episodes 6 and 26 are his time in the spotlight(with 32 cementing his typical nerd stereotype). As for Ash, 4, 9, 10, 15, 21, 27, 36, 37 and 38 are worth noting(captures and important battles). Also has a decent comedic moment in Episode 28.
    Agreed with Sophacles, he's mostly non-existent besides his focus episodes and the one early one with him and Ash in the mall and he's annoying. Kiawe is sometimes a really cool character and I wish he had some more lines in episodes (there's some where he only has 1 or 2 short lines in the beginning and that's it), although I don't like when they make him over-excited or give him some really over-the-top expression.

Last edited:
    Years
    I think you're overblowing this a little bit. Yes he's really childish compared to being mature and confident in XY, but in every series and even XY he had his childish moments. He's ALWAYS pigged out on food whenever given the chance. I disagree he's showing no dedication to his goal-- he's been wanting to battle whenever he sees the opportunity and they still have him mention being a Pokémon master, it's just that he's been slow with completing the trials and he has a less than full team. And he's always been attacked by Pokémon or something else in some way. The childishness is even more apparent this season, but I think it's just that everything in Alola is new to him and he's overexcited and having fun. Ash certainly isn't the best example to show to kids though, I'll give you that.

I do agree about Ash's design and the over-the-top facial expressions. Ash's design could definitely be better, especially compared with the other characters. I keep thinking the Z-move animation would look even cooler with the XY design. The facial expressions are mostly unnecessary, and some are borderline creepy to the point that I'm surprised the dub keeps them in.

I can understand that Alola is a completely new experience to him and that he's overexcited, but it does get over-exaggerated and that annoys me since I don't like him acting all hyper. But yes, the facial expressions are creepy and even show drastic shifts in the art style, almost feeling like a different show in itself.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    With the return of both Misty and Brock, I feel where going to see this discussion pop up more frequently.

Anyway, I would say it's worth a try.

Just like what Mezzo stated, if the major stylistic doesn't bother you then it'll be great. The old character design couldn't pull off some of the more fluent movements and expressive faces that SM has. But then again most people are a bit jarred with some of the expressions.

The animation quality tho is where I disagree with some of the posters above. Animation wise, Pokemon SM is superior to Pokemon XY. Techniques from XY where improved upon in SM, the battles although few in number, are beautifully animated. Really it's insane to see just how highly produced the SM anime is... Consistent, fluent, and expressive... that's SM's animation in a nutshell.

I will say you should've watched episodes one and two before going into forums tho. it's important to experience media yourself before heading into any discussion. You're the one to decide if the show has value for you, not other people.

Never forget that.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    Depends who you ask.

If you enjoyed XYZ in particular then it may be jarring especially Ash who is far more energetic than his XYZ incarnation but otherwise it's a fun series to follow.

Slapstick isn't for everybody. Ash seems to have the universe against him (although he was subject to slapstick in XY despite being mature ie falling down some stairs, falling off a stationary Rhyhorn), he seems to bear the brunt of the writers more than the other characters.

Animation is the best it's ever been, regardless of what people say. That's just a result of technological advancements.

As for the content itself, its more character driven than other sagas. Before, you had the gang travelling from point A to point B in a plot driven narrative. Here it's inviting you to get to know the characters, understand them and what makes them tick. It's attempting to make you feel different emotions such as sadness, laughter and happiness, as opposed to wowing you with action sequences. Not to say other sagas didn't do this, but it seems more prevalent in SM.

Years
    I will say you should've watched episodes one and two before going into forums tho. it's important to experience media yourself before heading into any discussion. You're the one to decide if the show has value for you, not other people.

Never forget that.

This. It's best to experience things yourself before you declare your stance, not let others do it for you.

Years
    The only thing that's going to make the Sun/Moon anime saga potentially bearable is Misty and Brock's return (especially Misty's return), not to mention the possible return of Pidgeot as well after how Ash thanks to the AG writers essentially pulled a Damian on Pidgeot. Other than that, I'm sorry, but having Ash essentially going back to school despite his never indicating a need for school is far beyond the pale. The animation style quite frankly is not my cup of tea either, but I'd forgive even that if they at least kept Ash doing his goal instead of basically ripping off Emperor Kuzco in Emperor's New School. They didn't do even that.

I can tell you Ash's Bulbasaur will be appearing, so it's not going to be just Misty and Brock returning.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I can tell you Ash's Bulbasaur will be appearing, so it's not going to be just Misty and Brock returning.

Yeah, I know. And I also noticed that Jigglypuff's returning as well (I think this is the first time Jigglypuff appeared since... what? The Whismur episode way back in AG?).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, now that they're bringing back leagues (it's about time), it may be worth watching for that at least, maybe also seeing Misty and Brock not only return, but doing an encore later on.

Back