• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a reason to buy more than one version?

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2019
    Someone offers me for example Emerald, Rubin and Saphire. Does it make any sense to buy all three?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Depends on if the version differences are enough for you to warrant buying both of them. I've personally never found the differences between each pair of games meaningful enough for me to buy both of them.

I have to ask though.....which version is "Smaragd"?

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for your answer.
    Sorry, mistakenly I wrote the German title. 😂It's emerald.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald have version differences. All three of them are pretty different to one another (Different evil teams in R/S, Pokemon, etc), so if you find that something that's up your ally, buy all three, but Emerald is a "director's cut" edition" so, it combines both stories. Go for that one if you don't care for the other two.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I've always gone by the old "get one for yourself and one for your partner/friend". :)

Years
    they're bought more usually if you want to trade or complete the dex etc. but for me, I play the other version if I want to replay

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    y'all: is it worth it to buy both versions
    me, owning both versions and multiples of one version: ...................y........yeah

Years
    Ideally I'd also get both versions of a particular Pokemon game just because I like collecting, but that hasn't been a thing for me in the past couple of years. I'd like to get back into doing that, though.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    for me, I do buy one of each, sometimes multiples of the same - so I can play with various teams without restarting

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I get myself both versions of the game, so that I can complete the pokedex on my own. I just prefer things with my OT on them; it feels more personal.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    Absolutely. If you don't have a friend who plays Pokemon you could just trade with yourself, although doing this would require that you buy a second console.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Not for me, personally - unless it's a 'third version' with enough new content to make it stand out as its own game to me. But with say Diamond and Pearl, etc., one is enough for me. I can trade for version exclusives.

Back