• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

J-E Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Haha, that would sort of be like the approach Ronin Warriors took. It would be a pretty cool way to have a larger number of Cures in there and still have the main characters down to a manageable size. Though I suppose at the rate it might also make the title of Cure pretty inconsequential.

As far as Suite goes compared to other shows, it's not doing bad, but for PreCure standards, it's not doing great. (PreCure is probably the only franchise along with Sentai, Gundam, and Kamen Rider that could do poorly for their own franchise, but still be considered great for other shows) It'll probably be slightly above Splash Star as far as ratings go, so second least viewed show. Financially, here's the breakdown:

J-E Discussion

Basically, HeartCatch was an all time high for the franchise when financials are considered, even outdoing Max Heart. (ratings-wise, it's middle of the road for the franchise) Suite is the poorest performing series since at least PreCure 5 Go Go, again, bad for this franchise is still really good in general.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Jorge: Expert Precure Analyst. I'm impressed.

So, do we know of any specific reasons why Suite is underperforming? It's a step down from Heartcatch in pretty much every respect, but I've never sensed anything glaringly wrong or sub-par about it.

Spoiler:

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    This is only tangentially related to the current line of discussion, but I still thought it was interesting enough to post here:

Toaru Majutsu no Index Producer: 26-Episode Anime Costs 300 Million Yen - Interest - Anime News Network
    Producer Nobuhiro Nakayama (Toaru Majutsu no Index, Hatsukoi Limited, Modern Magic Made Simple) noted during a lecture on Sunday at Tokyo University that a two-cours (six-month or 26-episode) anime series costs 300 million yen (about US$3.85 million) to create.

Nakayama then added that if an anime is successful, "it is everyone's achievement; however, if it fails, it is the producer's responsibility, so bear that in mind."

Kazuma Miki (Toaru Majutsu no Index, Oreimo), the assistant editor-in-chief for ASCII Media Works' light novel imprint Dengeki Bunko, ran the lecture, which was about Dengeki Bunko and the relationship between entertainment novels and mixed media.

Miki mentioned during the lecture that because there are a lot of media competing for the audience's time, the most successful approach to get the audience's attention is to present the concept of the work clearly.

Light novel author Reki Kawahara (Accel World, Sword Art Online) also spoke at the lecture, mentioning that because he has a a difficult time ending his stories, he makes sure to consider the sequential order of his plot from beginning to end.

Source: Nico Nico News
    Of course, most of that money goes to the sponsors, while the studio is forced to work with a mere pittance in comparison.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Toaru is late night anime anyway. They barely make any money from adverts. They get most of their money from the Blurays which are asdf expensive (7000 yen for 1-3 eps). Index S1 sold well making a fair profit while Railgun and Index II were huge successes shared by everyone. Meanwhile, Mayoi Neko Overrun, another Nakayama produced anime, sold under 3000 per volume which was not enough to break even and was thus a failure and Nakayama's responsibility.

In any case, my point is... What's your point?

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I tend not to recommend Aria off the bat unless they're looking for it. Yes, it's horribly relaxing and feel-good, but most people aren't good at sitting to watch it because it's a lot slower than most slice-of-life shows.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Also, lol @ the Precure pokeball. See the bottom of the poster? Enough cute mascots to last 50 more seasons of Precure. Calling it now, there's totally going to be a monster battling theme, which will probably be extremely lucrative.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Also, lol @ the Precure pokeball. See the bottom of the poster? Enough cute mascots to last 50 more seasons of Precure. Calling it now, there's totally going to be a monster battling theme, which will probably be extremely lucrative.
    The theme this year is "form bonds between differences," sooo sort of like Suite, but I guess more confined to the fluffies this time. (their pokeball is also a make up box)

Annnnd cast

Cure Happy - Pink - Yuuki Aoi
    Cure Sunny - Red - Ueda Kana
    Cure Peace - Yellow - Nogawa Sakura
    Cure March - Green - Shimizu Kaori
    Cure Beauty - Blue - Yukino Satsuki
    Candy Lin - Mascot thing - Inoue Marina

The start date for Smile also means Suit is 49 episodes.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I guess a high tier seiyuu cast is to be expected with this franchise although I think Koshimizu, Toyoguchi and Orikasa made the current one better on that front.

Still a while to go before that starts so I won't get too excited.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    SOUSEI GATTAI! GO! AQUARION!
    They released a new PV for Aquarion Evol, which is premiering next season. Since it takes place 12,000 years after the first series, I doubt I'd call it a real sequel, but that's fine with me. It looks really good, and you can tell Satellite is trying to make it more like their work on Macross Frontier (which is sexy). Plus, giving us a chance to listen to the OP by Akino with bless4 was more than enough for me. A definite watch!

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    CG mecha :( I don't think I'll ever be able to accept them.

Even so, despite my lack of experience with Aquarion, I'll probably give it a watch.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Ugh, yeah, I do see the Frontier influences there, bah.

I never quite understood the reasoning behind making a sequel to something set so freaking far in the future. It would take a really well established universe like Star Wars or something to be able to properly support that, otherwise it just feels like a cash in on the name. Suddenly I'm reminded of that new Tomino Gundam project that isn't called Gundam but is set 900 years into the U.C. future.

CG mecha I don't think I'll ever be able to accept them.
    You get used to it and eventually just sort of forget about it. At least this was my experience with Zoids and the little I saw of the first Aquarion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back