• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Japanese Architecture and Landscape?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Since Hoenn is based from Kyushu in Japan, will we be seeing another Japanese landscape or will it be more Western-style like it has been in past games excluding HG/SS.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Iirc Hoenn did not have any Japanese like structures unlike in Johto with the Towers and all.

I guess the only architecture you can consider Japanese-like are the arches in Ever Grande.

I doubt other than that, there would be other Japanese-like structures in Hoenn because the region is a tropical based region, even if it is based on Kyushu. Kinda hard to picture having Asian-styled buildings inside a Tropicalized area but who knows, they might add it in.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Iirc Hoenn did not have any Japanese like structures unlike in Johto with the Towers and all.

I guess the only architecture you can consider Japanese-like are the arches in Ever Grande.

I doubt other than that, there would be other Japanese-like structures in Hoenn because the region is a tropical based region, even if it is based on Kyushu. Kinda hard to picture having Asian-styled buildings inside a Tropicalized area but who knows, they might add it in.

Ahh but you forget that Vietnam is tropical and has asian styled buildings in real life, as are parts of China...in real life. So I don't see how tropical buildings and Asian architecture don't mix... they could even adapt some of the southeastern Asian architecture for the region.

Also note not all of Hoenn is tropical. I sure hope that Ever Grande city looks like a Shinto shrine and keeps it's Torri (shinto arches)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ahh but you forget that Vietnam is tropical and has asian styled buildings in real life, as are parts of China...in real life. So I don't see how tropical buildings and Asian architecture don't mix... they could even adapt some of the southeastern Asian architecture for the region.

Also note not all of Hoenn is tropical. I sure hope that Ever Grande city looks like a Shinto shrine and keeps it's Torri (shinto arches)

I agree that tropical themes don't exactly mix with Asian style... but they're a much better fit than that of the European style. Either they would have this hint of Japan here and there (with the signature arches) or they would make each city look special (like Fortree or Pacificlog). But I don't think a European theme is being called here.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I think it should be left the same. It would be kind of bizarre to see Japanese architecture thrown in randomly since the original didn't have any. I'm not opposed to seeing a region with more Japanese influences like Johto though,it just wouldn't seem right in Hoenn.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    A lot of Hoenn seemed more rustic modern than most, but the buildings were kinda limited then. I still see more rustic modern, like houses you'd find in older locations in Europe for some locations. That style would be more balanced with the apparent lush vibes that Hoenn is supposed to give off. Maybe something like Hawaiian architecture something cross between old and new to blend in with the natural scenery. Fortree would be the hardest since their all Tree houses, though I expect spiral stairs or something similar to BW's towers. Straight stairs going up a tree is kinda boring and bland. A Ladder would be hard to see them doing.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    This is the perfect time for a face lift. Not very Asian in RSE? Well, graphic were limited and most the building were boring rectangles anyway. So, go ahead and change.

Also, Hoenn has a lot of variety in landscape, so there is a lot of potential in Level Design.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    They should at least make the left half of the region Japanese style. The rest can look rustic.

Maybe they could make the southwestern part (aka the first towns and cities) to be Japanese styled, Eastern Hoenn to be modernized and natural while Northwestern Hoenn could be a little bit of both perhaps?

Years
    Maybe they could make the southwestern part (aka the first towns and cities) to be Japanese styled, Eastern Hoenn to be modernized and natural while Northwestern Hoenn could be a little bit of both perhaps?
    I think it'll be Central Hoenn that will be modern considering Mauville is there. The north could look rural (Fallarbor) or wild (Fortree).

\/

Grey Cat
    Years
    Pokemon Architectural Realism
    Example #1: Wild West town in Kanto
    Japanese Architecture and Landscape?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I think it should be left the same. It would be kind of bizarre to see Japanese architecture thrown in randomly since the original didn't have any. I'm not opposed to seeing a region with more Japanese influences like Johto though,it just wouldn't seem right in Hoenn.

Yeah, I can't really see them changing any designs to reflect Japanese architecture. I believe Hoenn should be left the same, and they should add Japanese style buildings to the next region if they want to. n_n

Years
    Japanese architecture would look out of place in Hoenn, I think. Too industrialized, modern, and technological. Hoenn has more tropical areas as well as rural areas, and anything that resembled Japan-styled buildings would stick out like a sore thumb.

Years
    Japanese architecture would look out of place in Hoenn, I think. Too industrialized, modern, and technological. Hoenn has more tropical areas as well as rural areas, and anything that resembled Japan-styled buildings would stick out like a sore thumb.

I wouldn't be too sure. The torri's didn't seem out of place at the Pokemon league (they were my favorite feature actually). Plus the inside of the Petalburg city gym seems Japanese even though the outside is not. Perhaps they'll make them look traditional inside. Also one has to remember that japan has some very modern buildings too...probably the majority are. It'll be cool if Mauville had large advertisements like in Tokyo and other large Japanese cities (sort of to replicate how Castellia had Pikachu in one, and Kalos had Diantha in a digital board.)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Hoenn is based on Kyushu, an island at the southernmost part of Japan. I agree that most of Hoenn's architecture seemed more Western to me. The only city which reminded me of Japanese architecture was Pacifidlog Town.

Spoiler:

In the new games, I'm sure the style will be the same, if not then similar to the older games. Similar to the remake in HGSS, if it does not emulate the original games at all, then I will be dissapointed.

Years
    Hoenn is based on Kyushu, an island at the southernmost part of Japan. I agree that most of Hoenn's architecture seemed more Western to me. The only city which reminded me of Japanese architecture was Pacifidlog Town.

Spoiler:

In the new games, I'm sure the style will be the same, if not then similar to the older games. Similar to the remake in HGSS, if it does not emulate the original games at all, then I will be dissapointed.

Meanwhile Sootopolis was greek in style. Perhaps they'll use other styles than simply modern western. Maybe some chinese architecture, some classical european (beyond the closer to modern greek), etc.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Meanwhile Sootopolis was greek in style. Perhaps they'll use other styles than simply modern western. Maybe some chinese architecture, some classical european (beyond the closer to modern greek), etc.

I would like to see a variation in style for regions that are more post-game. Yes, I was thinking of what style Sootopolis was and the Greek style seems to git it perfectly!

Years
    I would like to see a variation in style for regions that are more post-game. Yes, I was thinking of what style Sootopolis was and the Greek style seems to git it perfectly!

Speaking of Sootopolis I just found out that Santorini (the place it's based on) has two seasons...a dry one (drought) and a wet one (drizzle). Also it's one of two place in Europe that can be considered to have a "dry desert" climate.

I always found it strange that Hoenn seemed to be based off both Kyushu and to some degree it also looks like southern Greece... I think the developers did that on purpose, fusing two real world places to make Hoenn.

I wonder if they'll give any other towns greek architecture...

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
    Japanese Architecture and Landscape?

I am waiting for Slateport City's return. I am going to love to see it in 3D; however on the topic of Japanese theming, Hoenn was not really known for any Asian-Themed buildings unless you consider the Hot Springs in Lavaridge Town; however, is it possible that the game could be re-tuned to have this Japanese building style, but its unlikely.

I am expecting the Pokemon Contests to return and with the 3D system, I wonder how it'll work out now.

Back