• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

job-searching

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    First of all, for those know what I do for a living yes this might seem odd but idk how to explain it but it's weird OK.

I am looking for a new job, but I am struggling when it comes to writing my CV (not had to do this in 10 years) and when it comes to the job-hunting itself, so I thought I'd pose the question to PC and see what you guys do/think could help/etc.

You can use those resume templets online. They make things really easy and you could probably find one that doesnt make you pay. Then its just a matter of plugging in all of your experience, relevant contacts, skills, etc. You should brainstorm and write things down first.

You should also go to an office supply store and purchase a nice binding for your resume. I read an article that stated that nice bindings can make a nice impression on a potential employer. It will also make you stand out among the pool of applications.

Google interview questions and have a friend interview you. The practice will help you answer questions more coherently and make you feel more confident.

I dont know anything about your employment or career, but these strategies helped me land 2 entry level jobs. Although I didnt use the binding strategy, so its not personally tested.

Last edited:
    Years
    Just about anything positive can look good even if it has only the flimsiest relation to the position you're after. Or so I'm told.

Years
    Are you trying to get a new job that's in a new field/area of work or a different job doing more or less the same thing you're doing now? Different methods work for either. If you're just looking for any decent job then the best thing (or maybe it's the most successful thing) is networking a.k.a. talking with friends and family and acquaintances about job openings in places they know. If not that then networking with people you currently work with and seeing who they know. (Assuming you work in some kind of professional/skilled field where people connect with those in the same field.)

It's really people you know who help you get jobs most easily. Not to say you can't get one by applying all over the place, but that can take time and you'll get a lot of rejections on average regardless of how skilled or qualified you are.

Years
    Sending good thoughts your way! Job hunting really sucks. What made you leave the job you had most recently? If it's IT and computer science related stuff, getting a job will be relatively easy (high turnover rate), but otherwise, good luck! If you went to a university, you usually still have access to their career centers where your resume can get reviewed. Do you have a LinkedIn account? If not, you might want to put your name out there before starting the job hunt.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
    Just to add on to what has already been said, I've also heard that focusing on "soft-skills" can really help. These are best described as personal attributes; having impressive leadership skills and being a hard worker serve as examples. I'm told that having the right "soft-skills" can really help, as these are the type of things that cannot be taught on the job. While it is important to include and discuss your hard-skills, should you be missing a bit of knowledge, they can show you what they want you to do.

I've also been taught that, depending on your industry, having a portfolio with samples of your work can also a big draw. Graphic design and photography are two areas that come to mind, but even things like teaching and journalism could be complimented by a portfolio. It really just depends on where you're applying.

Best of luck to you on your search!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2017
    First of all, for those know what I do for a living yes this might seem odd but idk how to explain it but it's weird OK.

I am looking for a new job, but I am struggling when it comes to writing my CV (not had to do this in 10 years) and when it comes to the job-hunting itself, so I thought I'd pose the question to PC and see what you guys do/think could help/etc.

This first and foremost thing to do when beginning a job search is look inside yourself. Answer the following questions: 1) What can you do and 2). What are your strengths. Where do you search? Well, you can search the Internet but be careful because a friend of mine was tricked and paid money to get a job only to find out that it was a scam! I would recommend that you go through this before such a situation happens to you. I would stick to company websites, job boards, linked in and social-media. Good luck my friend!

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Biggest recommendation is to use connections to your advantage. I've been offered more jobs via connections than I have thanks to a superb CV/interview. Of course, you do have to make a decent impression a-la Interview style if you're meeting someone new via an old connection, but you kinda have a leg-up in the competition if someone vouches for you.

I'm not sure if you're looking for work in the same industry or trying to break into an entirely new one. Breaking into a new one is incredibly difficult and I don't have any advice other than persevere. Finding work is incredibly difficult, and can cause you to doubt your strengths and abilities. Know that you're worth being hired, and the only way you'll find work is by never giving up.

Good luck out there buddy

Back