• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [June 27] OHA SUTA REVEALS NEW POKEMON!?

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
Years
  • (I hope) as said before, the pokemon don't even look like pokemon. They... they don't even look like anything. They're just... flat out ugly. I'm sorry, if most of gen 5 is going to look like that... bleh. Like, a coffin with ghost arms... really? Someone's been scraping the barrel lately. I'm sure they're'll be more to look up on (such as more designs similar to Reshiram/Zekrom... hopefully) but the revealed pokemon are just hideous. The colours are ugly, too. Seriously, I think they're slightly running low on their imagination battery. A gear pokemon named Gear and a coffin with ghost arms. How fascinating. Have they even covered all the animals in the real world? Why resort to ghost arms on a coffin?!

Hopefully the displayed pokemon have some more back-story to them (or more merit in typing/stats/move pool), otherwise they're plain ugly. Just my opinion based on what we were were given...

EDIT: That girl-looking thing is a Pokemon?! Oh, boy... sending out humans into battle, now, are we? If it isn't a girl, maybe I'm just blind, but that looks very similar to a human being..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • (I hope) as said before, the pokemon don't even look like pokemon. They... they don't even look like anything. They're just... flat out ugly. I'm sorry, if most of gen 5 is going to look like that... bleh. Like, a coffin with ghost arms... really? Someone's been scraping the barrel lately. I'm sure they're'll be more to look up on (such as more designs similar to Reshiram/Zekrom... hopefully) but the revealed pokemon are just hideous. The colours are ugly, too. Seriously, I think they're slightly running low on their imagination battery. A gear pokemon named Gear and a coffin with ghost arms. How fascinating. Have they even covered all the animals in the real world? Why resort to ghost arms on a coffin?!

Hopefully the displayed pokemon have some more back-story to them (or more merit in typing/stats/move pool), otherwise they're plain ugly. Just my opinion based on what we were were given...

EDIT: That girl-looking thing is a Pokemon?! Oh, boy... sending out humans into battle, now, are we? If it isn't a girl, maybe I'm just blind, but that looks very similar to a human being..
    hands on a coffin is very imaginative compared to a plain panda when you think about it.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I hate everyone but they axe, a few hours ago this I thought nintendo was "innovating" with this game, by innovating they meant "Completely Destroying your childhood and having our franchise commit suicide, have fun with the dead body- we call it Pokemon Black/White!" They show us the cute Pokes first so we're hooked and we want to buy the game, then they have the ugly demons jump straight out of Pandora's box, nintendo can't hide it forever!

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • Doesn't seem imaginitive at all to me, and i just don't like it, hopefully other Pokemon don't look like this.

Years

uh we had Machomp, and Gradevoir and gradevoir is very human like as well as Jynx, human like Pokemon isn't new

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    uh we had Machomp, and Gradevoir and gradevoir is very human like as well as Jynx, human like Pokemon isn't new
    This is what I would have pointed out.

I don't see anything wrong with humanoid-like Pokémon being used in this generation. I think it would make the game more diverse, since that's something that's lacking in the Pokémon world. At least they're trying something new, and although the Pokémon showed so far aren't exactly up to par with everyone's expectations, they're going out on a limb. I think they know that these designs aren't going to be very accepted by a lot of those who play, but with the storyline and all, I think they're aiming for more so of monsterous Pokémon. They've already admitted to a darker storyline.

Penumbra

Years
  • uh we had Machomp, and Gradevoir and gradevoir is very human like as well as Jynx, human like Pokemon isn't new

Fair enough, but they were still very different from humans. Such as, all of those mentioned dont have ears or noses, or their colours were completely different.

But that girl-looking thing clearly looks like a woman in a dress, with those... spiky protrusions on her head meant to be her freaky hair style. Of course, maybe I'm just being quick to judge, but I definitely see a girl in a dress.

And also, I know my rant was mainly on the coffin thing, but that other... thing looks horrid, in my opinion. The second "foe" of the first image. It looks really... odd. The mole looks rather simple. A basic animal dipped into a dark rainbow, and then equipped with metal claws and head/face protection. But that... what is it supposed to be, a mantis? That's just ludicrous.

Some of you may be all, "they're trying something new for once!" That understandable. I'm not holding a pair of "nostalgia goggles" as I've accepted gens beyond the second, but... that thing just drives me up the wall and back.

Years
  • This is what I would have pointed out.

I don't see anything wrong with humanoid-like Pokémon being used in this generation. I think it would make the game more diverse, since that's something that's lacking in the Pokémon world. At least they're trying something new, and although the Pokémon showed so far aren't exactly up to par with everyone's expectations, they're going out on a limb. I think they know that these designs aren't going to be very accepted by a lot of those who play, but with the storyline and all, I think they're aiming for more so of monsterous Pokémon. They've already admitted to a darker storyline.
    I'm glad there someone who understands :), yeah the story line is darker with the new person with the crown...he looks very evil compared to Giovanni and the others. We even have a pokemon that identified as demon fox ;)

Fair enough, but they were still very different from humans. Such as, all of those mentioned dont have ears or noses, or their colours were completely different.

But that girl-looking thing clearly looks like a woman in a dress, with those... spiky protrusions on her head meant to be her freaky hair style. Of course, maybe I'm just being quick to judge, but I definitely see a girl in a dress.

And also, I know my rant was mainly on the coffin thing, but that other... thing looks horrid, in my opinion. The second "foe" of the first image. It looks really... odd. The mole looks rather simple. A basic animal dipped into a dark rainbow, and then equipped with metal claws and head/face protection. But that... what is it supposed to be, a mantis? That's just ludicrous.

Some of you may be all, "they're trying something new for once!" That understandable. I'm not holding a pair of "nostalgia goggles" as I've accepted gens beyond the second, but... that thing just drives me up the wall and back.
    This new one doesn't have ears...or does it 0_0...well it's monster mantis of some kind :).

Last edited:

Penumbra

Years
  • This is what I would have pointed out.

Uh, did a random meteor suddenly hit me when that was revealed? I don't remember them admitting to a "darker" storyline, as that would most definitely put off their target audience... you know, children? I don't think the players want to walk into "FOREST OF PERENNIAL EVIL" just to see some woman being sexually harassed by an evil "Team" in the game.

Of course, I'm exaggerating, but everything still seems rather Pokemon World to me. So what if there was a demon fox pokemon? Dusknoir is said to capture people within its belly, and drifloon is said to carry off children to distant places. Last time I checked, I still ventured through places named "Floaroma Town".

Having a few darker pokemon does not make the game more evil, nor the story line. I believe it's been established that there will be definite changes, but more evil? nah. That crown boy doesn't scare me, nor does he/she seem more evil than Giovanni. Giovanni got his minions to kill a marowak which haunted you in a tower. Hell, Cyrus summoned a pokemon which created a portal into a different dimension. Some (wo)man mischievously marveling a glowing crown does not scare me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Well, the seven other normal pokemon CoroCoro revealed a while back where better. My top five list of 5gen pkmn this far is:

1. Shimama
    2. Pokabu
    3. That Sarcophagus thingy.
    4. Hihidaruma
    5. That ectoplasm bear thingy

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    well i never liked any of the human like pkmn in the 1st place. none of them, inlcuding 1st gens. and that little girl thing looks EXACTLy like a human, not just something based on one.

im not nostalgia blinded, i like the others

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I like Ledyba though. I think that it's just simple enough. I do like the occasional unusual Pokemon, but things like Ledyba, Pidgey and Seel make the Pokemon world feel a little more real, you could imagine them really living in an ecosystem. I could imagine a wood filled with Ledyba, Butterfree, Pidgey and Pineco. I cannot imagine Hihiraduma or Munna in any realistic setting at all. The overblown nature of some of the new Pokemon actually takes away the childish wonder of the world.

Meguroko's the croc, yes? Well, I like him and Pokabu. I haven't seen enough of the mole, and visually Chiramii and Mamepato are alright, but I'm not sure on them because they continue a formula that got stale in Gen II (cute rodent-y Pokemon and common Normal/Flying bird).

Maybe I was a little harsh earlier, it was a knee-jerk reaction to this latest batch. I do like some of the new Pokemon, it's just that ones like Hihiraduma and the green-plasma thing are, IMO, horrifically ugly, and the percentage that I like seems to get smaller and smaller every generation. :(

I'd say most of this is fair, but if you want more simple woodland creature like Pokemon then you're bound to get some recycling. There's always going to be birds and rodents.

Also I'd say the horned Dragon thing is no more detailed than Tryannitar. But Tryanitar sure isn't Ekans. :P

And I've not heard anyone yet explicitly state that they do not look like Pokémon. I've heard claims that the design style has changed, that they now resemble Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh monster somewhat, but never that they don't look like Pokémon. I'll agree, there's a point where a rational "I think it looks ugly" seperates from the more radical "OMFG so ugly has spoiled Pokes now!".

The point is, whether it's nostalgia guided or not, it's still an opinion, and unless it's so ridiculous as to point blank state that "it doesn't look like a Pokémon", then it should be respected.

*Ahem* (stares at next quotes)

I have one thing to say:
    THEY DISGUST ME.

They do not look like Pokemon, the old ones they announced were cool, but now this? There's too much going on, I mean look at the old Pokemon like Ekans. Purple Snake, that's it, no weird parts or anything. Right now they absolutely DO NOT look like Pokemon.

I too am not particularly fond of the new Pokémon... almost all of them lack any thought or creativity at all.

To be honest, they don't look like pokemon. They look like something you would dream up in a nightmare. I plan on buying the game but now looking at these pokemon, they make me not want to buy this game. Yuck

Anyways, alot of people who dislike the new pokemon are not wearing, "nostalgia goggles." It's just the ones that do can be so infuriating that they draw a lot of attention to themselves. I quoted Charmaggedon above because he simply doesn't like the new Pokemon as he prefers simpler Pokemon that one could envision running throuh a forest. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. It's just when people claim that they're unbelievably unoriginal, that Game Freak is running out of ideas, or how because of a Pokemon or two they won't buy the games and judge the entire region on the little bad instead of the overwhelmingly good. That's when it gets annoying.
    It's also irratible when people see new Pokemon and the first thing they do is compare them to past Pokemon. I mean when the starters came out half the posts were about how they just looked like a mix between x pokemon and x pokemon. Why can't they just be their own pokemon?

Anyways the Puppet one and the spiky red and blue thing still has yet to grow on me but everytime I look at the Mantis horned axe Dragon thing it grows on me even further. Man I want one!! I'm think Bug-Ground type for it though actually. It looks like some sort of desert creature to me.

Last edited:

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
  • To be honest, they don't look like pokemon. They look like something you would dream up in a nightmare. I plan on buying the game but now looking at these pokemon, they make me not want to buy this game. Yuck

Storm_has_formed

"The Storm is here!!!"
    Years
  • I'm glad there someone who understands :), yeah the story line is darker with the new person with the crown...he looks very evil compared to Giovanni and the others. We even have a pokemon that identified as demon fox ;)
    well Cyrus was pretty evil, wanting to recreate the world in which he would rule. If basically eliminating the world as a whole to start over isn't dark, i don't know what is

Bamboo Basara

Pokemon Historian
    Years
  • Now that is entirely opinionated. I felt that the more realistic the Pokémon were, the more I liked them because they felt closer to home. Not in a vanilla way, but in such a way that I was able to immerse myself into the game a lot easier.

Taking a dragon and gluing on some sythes and armour automatically makes it creative and an improvement, nay, a vast improvement?

The more fantastical and vulnerable to memes (Bidoof anyone?) the Pokemon series gets, the more it comes off as a kids game.

Also people out there calling the "nostalgia vision" argument need to stop it. You may be plucking on a different string, but you're just plucking it over and over and over...

All I'm saying is I'm happy to see Game Freak has finally found its creativity. I love Pokemon, some are beautiful and amazing, others are just lazy. Ekans is just a snake, Krabby is just a crab, Pidgey is a small bird, etc.
    The potential for Pokemon is infinate. I'm happy to see Game Freak is leaving its safe-zone. I think people just need to get used to these new designs, I think this generation will be well loved once people warm up to it.
    This generation is exactly what I've been hoping for.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I think that Game Freak is releasing some of the more chaotic and freakish Pokémon after showing some of the simplistic ones like Mamepato, Chiramii, Mun'na, Shimama, etc.

I don't want to worry that this gen's Poké will sucks, there has to be some pleasant surprises here and there. And I guess Game Freak is showing some of the worse Pokémon right now for the trailer because we have already seen some pretty good ones. And I don't think any of the Pokémon I have seen will grow on me. Way too chaotic, WAAAAAAY too chaotic.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I think that Game Freak is releasing some of the more chaotic and freakish Pokémon after showing some of the simplistic ones like Mamepato, Chiramii, Mun'na, Shimama, etc.

I don't want to worry that this gen's Poké will sucks, there has to be some pleasant surprises here and there. And I guess Game Freak is showing some of the worse Pokémon right now for the trailer because we have already seen some pretty good ones. And I don't think any of the Pokémon I have seen will grow on me. Way too chaotic, WAAAAAAY too chaotic.

If you show pokemon that are very different to each other you will appeal to a wider array of people. Some people like the Mole and some people like the Tarantula for example.

Last edited:

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • If you show pokemon that are very different to each other you will appeal to a wider array of people. Some people like the Mole and some people like the Tarantula.

I agree. Releasing all of the simpler Pokémon would have turned away those looking for more complex monsters; and visa-versa. Unfortunately GameFreak cannot please all of their fans all of the time, but the positive reactions to this post show that they can please some of their fans, some of the time.

It will be like every other Gen - you will love one Pokémon, even if you hate all of the rest.

Back