• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Kanto's E4 Vs. Hoenn's E4.

Which one?

• Kanto E4

Votes: 59 54.1%
  • Hoenn E4

Votes: 50 45.9%

• Total voters

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I definitely prefer the Kanto Elite 4 over the Hoenn Elite 4. I'm not gonna lie, the Hoenn E4 was tricky to beat the first time around, but I had to do so much more training to defeat the Kanto E4. You have to be ready and know it if you want to defeat them.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Well, first of all: Kanto's Elite Four are just as good, with high levels, not actually sticking to their typings (Agatha, Lance), and a mixed Champion (Blue). Lance's Dragons are almost impossible to defeat with under-levelled teams, and you'll no doubt use so many items that it's really hard to fight Blue. I'm one of the billions of people who thinks Lance is awesome too. But lets be honest, he's much better with three Dragonites (That somehow levelled down upon evolution :P) and a Charizard (The greatest starter of all time).

However, I prefer Hoenn's Elite Four, for various regions. Firstly, they were my first Elite Four. Secondly, they have brilliant pokémon. I mean, Sidney has some lethal attackers in Absol, Shiftry, Crawdaunt, and Cacturne, and his Mightyena's Intimidate makes it even harder to defeat them, particularly as Fighting and Bug are physical types. Phoebe's Ghosts are really tough - three defensive behemoths, two who pack a punch (Dusclops), and one with no weaknesses (Sableye). Banette are really lethal, and not only is this team tough to take down, but with a combination of Pressure, Protect and Grudge, Phoebe successfully removes most of your PP making it that much harder to battle the others. Glacia does pretty well considering the many weaknesses of the Ice-type, and I personally love all of her pokémon. Drake's dragons are equally as tough to take down as Lance's dragons, and his Salamence is possibly more destructive than Lance's Dragonite. Oh, and Wallace (I played Emerald), despite being a mono-type champion, is extremely tough. I mean, you have Wailord with its' massive Hp and Water Spout, Ludicolo with Double Team and a sole weakness to Flying, Gyarados with its Intimidate and general destructiveness, Tentacruel and Whiscash with their odd combination of weaknesses - one is immune to Electric, the other isn't weak to Grass, and Milotic, the godly pokémon with a massive special defense to counter its' two weaknesses and plenty of attacking power too.

The fact that in Emerald you then get to battle Steven at even higher levels than Blue's team, in a region where no trainers stray above lv.60, and only gym leaders on their limited rematches and the Elite Four hit lv.50+, means that Hoenn's Elite Four and Champion, particularly if you include Steven either in RS or E, with his epicly defensive Steels and Fossils, are really tough still. Combine this with my own personal love of Emerald and the part of my childhood it represents, and Hoenn wins hands down for me.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    For me its 100% The Hoenn Pokemon league because it has a more variety of Pokemon and trainers. But the real reason is because of one of the Elite Four members being a Ghost type trainer which is my favorite type of Pokemon

:t354:TG

Hoenn's E4 was INSANELY easy! Pheobe was a joke, Sydney was a pushover, Drake failed with his weak Shelgons, and Glacia was a weakling. Steven put up a fight for 2 minutes and lost. Honestly, they made the E4 way too easy if you picked Blaziken. It's basically designed to streamroll them.
    Kanto, however, was a very different story. I got stuck on Lorelei, that cruel user of Ice-Types, many many many times. Bruno wasn't too hard, but Agatha's Gengars were annoyingly hard. Then we have Lance, who packed not only a Dragonite, but an Aerodactyl and a Gyarados! Then there was Gary. Gary Mothereffin' Oak. That Alakazam was a NIGHTMARE, his Gyarados was quite the sight as well.
    All in all, Hoenn's E4 is a pathetic excuse for a challenge, and Kanto is just something else entirely.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
    From Nostalgia's Experience(GenI) the only problem of GenI too me was te rival and lance,I soloed the rest with one haunter many times,so my guess would be Hoenn E4 as i never played FRLG

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
    I'll have to go with Kanto purely based on the fact that they were the first E4 I ever faced. And Hoenn's E4 is way too easy. At least in Emerald with a Rayquaza. xD

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    So, which do you prefer? The nostalgic first Elite's? Or the Hoenn Quads? Which one and why?

Maybe the good ol' Kanto Elite 4; Consisting of Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha, Lance and of course, Blue! Who prefer the types of Ice, Fighting, Ghost, Dragon & Mixed.

Kanto's E4 Vs. Hoenn's E4.

Or, do you prefer the Elitist's from Hoenn? Sydney, Phoebe, Glacia, Drake, Steven and Wallace. Who prefer Dark, Ghost, Ice, Dragon, Steel and Water.

Note: Steven is the champ in R/S Whilst Wallace is the Champ in Emerald.

What are you talking about, Agatha specializes in Poison, not Ghost. I never understood why she is known as the master of Ghost types, because the Gastly line are part Poison and she uses some non-Ghost poison Pokemon. The E4 rematch helps this by giving her a Misdreavus, though. Anyways, I prefer the Hoenn E4. They specialize in some of the most interesting and rare Pokemon types.

Last edited:
    Years
    I prefer Hoenn's Elite Four. Kanto... ngeh. I mean, of course, they're classic, but I don't think they ordered them in the best way (aside from the Pokemon's levels). Anyway, I don't like it how Bruno has two Onixes.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    I prefer Hoenn Elite Four, just for the mythical theme song :p
    And 'coz I find it harder than the Kanto E4 (Damn Phoebe).

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    They're both awesome, although I like Kanto's more for several reasons, including the fact that your rival is the champion afterwards and it's like "Ash vs. Gary on the big arena for the championship" and plus, Kanto's has Lance, Lance is one of the best trainers ever. 8)

Years
    They're both awesome, although I like Kanto's more for several reasons, including the fact that your rival is the champion afterwards and it's like "Ash vs. Gary on the big arena for the championship" and plus, Kanto's has Lance, Lance is one of the best trainers ever. 8)

That's true, but I never understood why you didn't become the de facto champion yourself. Even once you've beaten Gary and gone through his whole shpiel, he still won't step down.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Hoenn's E4 was the first E4 I faced (Ruby was my first Pokemon game XD;). And it took me quite a few tries before I could beat the E4. Yes, I was quite the noob. So yeah, they're all pretty familiar faces to me. I love Kanto's E4 too, but I'll just go with Hoenn's E4 on this occasion.
    My thoughts exactly! Except, while it did take me a few tries to beat the Elite Four in Hoenn, it took me a lot longer just to find my way through Victory Road.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    Heonn in a heartbeat. I hate the Kanto squad with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

Lorelei was cool, but Luno was the most embarrassing thing that´s ever happened to Pokemon (I was furious they brought him back in HG, but Lorelei didn´t make the cut. In fact, I was furious G and HG leeched off Kanto´s success in the first place). Agatha might have been some less important NPC in my mind, Lance...isn´t even worth talking about, he´s so lame, and Blue...I wanted to rip my eyeballs off.

The Heonn group was much more decent, yet I´m angry that they are completely irrelevant to the story. They didn´t have a E4, so they made one up on the spot, with absolutely no background and never to be heard of again. They were nothing but plot devices.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2011
    Hoenn

Ice woman fails
    Phoebe Heh
    Syddy meh
    Drake heh

Steven OK
    Wallace Meh

Kanto

Ice woman Spam Thunderbolt/FIre attack
    Bruno Watyer/Grass take care
    Agatha Psychic OHKO
    Lance ICe and Thunder OHKO
    Rival Meh

So Hoenn

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    So, which do you prefer? The nostalgic first Elite's? Or the Hoenn Quads? Which one and why?

Maybe the good ol' Kanto Elite 4; Consisting of Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha, Lance and of course, Blue! Who prefer the types of Ice, Fighting, Ghost, Dragon & Mixed.

Or, do you prefer the Elitist's from Hoenn? Sydney, Phoebe, Glacia, Drake, Steven and Wallace. Who prefer Dark, Ghost, Ice, Dragon, Steel and Water.

Note: Steven is the champ in R/S Whilst Wallace is the Champ in Emerald.

Lorelei: <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 She is completely amazing. And the fact that Will replaces her in GSC and HGSS makes me hate Will by default.
    Bruno: ...Yeah, sure, whatever.
    Agatha: Cool old lady with cooler Ghosts. She wins.
    Lance: With that sprite he looks horrid. I hate his look overall, and I don't really care for him.
    Blue: Yeah, he's cool, but he's not as great as someone like Lorelei.

Sydney: Hi Mr. Australian!!!!! BTW, you're weird. I don't remember ever really facing you, you're just that forgetable. I only remember your name because it's Sydney.
    Pheobe: You look like ****. Bye ****.
    Glacia: Agatha hits you in your face with her cane. You are better than others though.
    Drake: ...You need a peg leg :3 You're almost coolio though :3

blue

gucci
    Years
    Nice captions for them all ;)

Yeah, I prefere Hoenn Elite Four, it's a better mix of types, but that's just my opinion, I do like Kanto E4 ofc just Hoenn slightly beats them for me, it would be better if they were rematchable 60-70's, hopefully in an R/S/E remake. I do agree that Lorelei is beautiful <3

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    Kanto. Pokémon Sapphire was the first game I played, and without any real experience in the series I was able to pwn the Elite 4 on my first try. Kanto's Elite 4 made me practice, train, and try different tactics until I finally figured out a way to beat Blue.

Hoenn is still my favorite region.

Back