• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Kinyo: a new region, a new journey [M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • This post is summarizing some questions and answers laid down in the Discord so they can be easily referenced.

Graduation
    -> Your graduation ceremony involves you handing over your Pokémon to Wisteria so she can symbolically hand them back to you as you cross the stage. You don't have to write this.
    -> If you have not previously specified where your starter came from, feel free to do so in your posts. Anyone that did not have a chosen partner by graduation was given one by the school. Anyone who did have a chosen partner prior to graduation was restricted from training them until they were graduated and therefore licensed.
    -> Wisteria's graduation speech has information that your characters would absolutely know due to their time at school. Please take that into consideration.

Quests
    -> Feel free to suggest some things for the teacher quests! For Bert, or anyone else- go ahead and think of rewards that would fit the type of person that teacher is, and what they think would be useful to you or want you to have. Morgan and I retain the right to veto things ofc, but we're also super willing to roll with your ideas and make them work.
    -> Evily has introduced Mr. Kuso. Please ask her about interacting with him.
    -> Lima beans exist in this universe.
    -> You may do as many quests as you want to write! Again, all of them are completely optional.
    -> Remember to keep your timing logical. It might not matter so much here at the beginning, but to do everything takes time! For your character to move between locations, to complete their missions, to have conversations. To do Wisteria's quest in particular, it wouldn't be unreasonable to say it takes around two hours.

Wild Pokémon
    -> Wild Pokémon roll requests are now done in the Discord. There's a pinned message for format.
    -> Holotch details are also pinned. [30% success rate, 1% shiny rate, 40% Hidden Ability rate]
    -> Regular Pokémon encounters have a 10% chance to have their hidden ability.
    -> If a Pokémon does not get their Hidden Ability, the player can choose from its regular abilities.
    -> Every Pokémon rolled must be encountered in IC posts in a significant way.
    -> You are allowed to encounter/see/interact with more Pokémon than you roll, but you can not catch them.
    -> Pokémon movesets are initially based on level.
    -> You may choose one egg move for any captured Pokémon, but discuss it with the GMs to make sure it's not OP. Also, you're gonna have to struggle to capture one with a good egg move.

Misc
    -> Trainers can carry up to 6 Pokémon, as per usual.
    -> There is a Pokémon Storage System.
    -> GMs will determine when more powerful items (Super Potions, Great Balls, etc) are available.
    -> Be flexible when planning your team; look more at themes and types than specific Pokémon. There are no guarantees of getting exactly what you want.
    -> Trading between players is allowed, but make it believable IC- from capture all the way to decision to trade.

...whew, that's a lot! I'll try to post these more frequently so we don't have so much information all shoved together. ^^;

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • NOTES ON LEVELING UP POKÉMON
    Levels are still very much up to you, but it's probably useful to have a guide to help you decide where your Pokémon should be strength-wise! At the most basic, the way to sum it up is "levels should be based on effort given."

But like... what do I mean by that?

I mean two things. The first is that "Pokémon should gain levels based on how much effort they put forth." Okay, right, obviously. But another metric is "Pokémon should gain levels based on how much effort you (the player) put into the writing."

So. The current guidelines.

Gaining one level would be a low-effort battle, something that takes one to three hits for your Pokémon to finish. Your Pokémon doesn't take many hits and doesn't struggle very much, but it still gives effort. Alternatively, you (the trainer) can spend time working with your Pokémon to perfect a move or technique, or just working out- running, jumping, wrestling. In writing, you should spend at least two paragraphs describing what your Pokémon is doing to gain this level.

Gaining two levels would be a medium-effort battle. A difficult battle against a wild Pokémon, where your Pokémon barely comes out ahead, would be in this range simply due to the fact that wild Pokémon don't tend to have interesting strategies or movesets that you (the player) would have to compensate for. Maybe if you (the player) made it so that a wild Pokémon did some wack stunts, the battle could be bumped up to a three-level battle. But most of the time, it should be a two-level.
    A series of low-effort battles would end up in the two-level range (think horde encounter or double wild Pokémon battle). Simple trainer battles also fall into the two-level category, especially this early on when nobody has any cool moves to play with. A two-level battle should have at least four paragraphs spent describing it.

Gaining three levels is almost always going to be an intense trainer battle with mad strategies and really creative use of moves on both sides. The only exceptions are the aforementioned "wild Pokémon with wack stunts" and quest rewards. A three-level battle should have at least six paragraphs describing it.

These guidelines will likely change once everyone's hitting like, level 25 or so. We'll have to calm the level curve at that point so you aren't super OP, haha. But for now, use these~

NOTES ON IN-GAME TIME
    It's kind of important to keep track of time in the RP. If you want to work with another player, you're going to need to know where they are and at what time. Some quests and areas will be time-dependent as well. So to keep track, we'll go with this:

Your journey started on Day 1. Wizard mentioned that graduation finished just before 11am, so keep that in mind! You should always know what day of your journey you are currently experiencing. This can be achieved by marking it somewhere in every post, or keeping a note somewhere easy to access and update. You should also know the approximate time of day. We don't need to know exact hours and minutes (unless something unusual is happening), but you should at least know if it's morning/midday/afternoon/evening/night. I personally would mark my posts with something like Day 1 / Morning, but I don't really care as long as a) you know and b) you can tell me off the top of your head.

If an event is going to happen on a specific day/time in a specific location, we'll let you know. Otherwise, feel free to play it however you want and advance your time when you need to!

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • i just wanna point out that writing your pokemon holding incense could be very funny :3 which, yknow, is why i chose it as a reward~

Last edited:
    Years
  • Having already used my Holotch (twice, once my post goes up), I'll be turning in that quest, and possibly the "Encounter 3 Pokemon on Route 301, receive Berries" quest from last time if I'm allowed. After that, I'll battle Wisteria.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Having already used my Holotch (twice, once my post goes up), I'll be turning in that quest, and possibly the "Encounter 3 Pokemon on Route 301, receive Berries" quest from last time if I'm allowed. After that, I'll battle Wisteria.

Yeah, you all should absolutely turn in the berry quest if you've done it~

Pure Essence

Reverb, Resound, and Repeat!
    Years
  • Ok, did that.
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ok, did that.
    Spoiler:

Right, you have me intrigued. I'd like to see this a little more fleshed out, though. I don't see any personality traits besides "odd" (which is ambiguous), and no character flaws. Maybe think about how he reacts to situations, and tell us about that? How is he socially? What is he actually doing to further his dreams/ideas?

Specific to this RP- it takes place in a region where Pokémon Training is on the decline, mostly due to concern over the ecological impact of the profession. What is your character going to do to bring training back into popularity?

Pure Essence

Years
  • I decided to redo that section along with the Pokemon he uses. It's not going to be a Shinx, despite my newfound love for the line. It's a Deino.
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I decided to redo that section along with the Pokemon he uses. It's not going to be a Shinx, despite my newfound love for the line. It's a Deino.
    Spoiler:

Nice, I like it! I'm definitely hoping to see his past come through as you write! Welcome to Kinyo~ I'll message you an invite link to the Discord chat in a moment here. :)

Pure Essence

Years
  • So, do I start in the first town, or in the current location? Also, do I have someone else be Professor Wisteria?

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • So, do I start in the first town, or in the current location? Also, do I have someone else be Professor Wisteria?

Go ahead and start on Day 1 in Mahono Town! Everyone's still coming into Nashimity at this point, so you're about even with 'em. We've been leaving Wisteria to you; just kinda go over others' posts or chat with them on the Discord to keep her characterization mostly consistent!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Reminder again to put "max-width" in your css if you feel a need to specify width! If you put just "width", it will be difficult to read on mobile devices.

Thank you~

Years
  • Also, if you use a colored background, please change your text color as well. I'm seeing a lot of white backgrounds, and the theme I'm using has light gray text as the default, making a lot of these posts unreadable.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • UPDATES
    Flame Moore (TheAlmightyBlaziken) has retired.
    Andy Richter (mdebourg101) has retired.
    Luke Ygan (Pure Essence) has paused his journey.
    Carmelion Beach and Akurnai City will be posted on December 6th. Try to be done or close to done with Day 2 by then!

SOME TOOLS FOR YOU
    These are Google Spreadsheets I made for y'all :) I'll update them as needed, but feel free to let me know if I need to fix/add anything!

Mahono Academy Class List
    Kinyo NPC List

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back