• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Latin

DanZC

Pokemon Trainer Dan
Years
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    I have recently been studying Latin (for no real reason). I was wondering if anyone here had or is studying Latin:
    • Have you or are you studying Latin?
    • How much do you know? (ex. A little bit)
    • When did you start studying? Are you still studying?
    • Where did you study? (ex. School)
    • Why did you study Latin?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I have recently been studying Latin (for no real reason). I was wondering if anyone here had or is studying Latin:
    • Have you or are you studying Latin?
    • How much do you know? (ex. A little bit)
    • When did you start studying? Are you still studying?
    • Where did you study? (ex. School)
    • Why did you study Latin?

I do Latin as one of my GCSE Subjects at school :)
    I can translate simple to medium difficulty sentences I think... harder ones I will have to spend some time on it :P
    I'm taking the exams in a month, so yes, still studying. Also planning to take it to A Levels, so will be continuing :)
    Why.... hmm... at first I thought it was pointless but I was forced to take it by the school, but now I actually enjoy it a lot ^^

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
  • I've been learning it in school for about a year now (starting in grade 9), I think I need improvements although I can form simple sentences and translate slightly more advanced ones from Latin into other languages c:
    And I picked it because it just interested me since I think it can be a nice sounding language, besides it might be useful in later life and such

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'm not a student of the language, but I work with plants so I'm in contact with so much. Almost all are known in the industry by their Latin names.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I always wished Latin had been a subject offered in high school, but it's not like I would have had room in my schedule to ever take it so that's probably a good thing. I don't want to take it as a university level course, though, since I've heard it's difficult and I don't want to be marked on it. :(

But Latin has aways really interested me. I'd love to be able to recognize words origins and just learn a little more about older langauges. It might be something interesting enough for me to try to pick up on my own without a class.

Does anyone know if there are any good self-study tools or websites around for Latin?

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • I've never thought about actually trying to learn it. It's a dead language, but I guess it is useful in some jobs.

I had to learn like 100 prefixes and suffixes in Biology I H, however.

I can't really remember that much though. I mean, I learned them like a month ago, but I just didn't care.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I initially took Latin thinking that it would help me if I decided to go into the medical field; at least that's what my sister told me \: I took Latin all through high school when it was first available during my sophomore year, and it was surprisingly interesting at the time. I forget how much we learned over the course of 3 levels, to be honest...Definitely remember all the different conjugations; I'm going to have to go searching around to see what I learnt.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • We didn't have the option of Latin at my school. Our language choices were French, Spanish, German and I believe Catalan, though you could only choose Catalan at GCSE level.

Not that i'd have chosen Latin, given the option. I had a hard enough time grasping French :P

Years
  • We didn't have the option of Latin at my school. Our language choices were French, Spanish, German and I believe Catalan, though you could only choose Catalan at GCSE level.

Not that i'd have chosen Latin, given the option. I had a hard enough time grasping French :P

Mind I ask what Catalan is? o.o That's an odd language option to give to students, at least compared to the ones I'm used to hearing...I forgot to mention that Latin was also an option during university along with: Korean, Japanese, Spanish, German, French, Chinese Mandarin, Croatian, Dutch, Italian, Polish, Russian, and Arabic. Now that I look at that list, my former university had a lot of different languages offered that I didn't know about XD I only took Korean, and not Latin because I completely forgot about everything I learned during high school, and didn't feel the necessity of re-learning everything \:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Mind I ask what Catalan is? o.o That's an odd language option to give to students

It's similar to Spanish, as I remember. According to Google it's Catalonia's second most spoken language, after Spanish. So, yeah.. it's a bit of an odd language option.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Latin got forced on me in my earlier high schools. It was my most hated subject. Ugh, I'm so glad I'm done with it and needless to say I don't remember ♥♥♥♥ :3

Years
  • I studied Latin for a semester back in high school (was one of three languages offered there, along with French and Spanish. Although if I remember correctly, you couldn't take the Latin class until you'd had at least a year or two of one of the other languages). I took it because it actually interested me - I like learning foreign languages, they fascinate me.

I don't remember any of it, sadly. :( I wish I did. I was decent at it and I liked it. It would be neat if I could actually converse in it at all. But alas.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I took Latin for three semesters last year. I remember most of the vocabulary, but I think I was pretty bad with verb conjugations to begin with, so I've forgotten most of those. I was okay with indicative and imperative, but I got a little overwhelmed when the subjunctive was introduced. :P I can still read simple passages with the vocabulary I know, since Latin word order is pretty flexible, but like I said about the verb conjugations, I still need to bring up a dictionary or something sometimes to know exactly what tense and voice a verb is in.

There's really no practical use for it as far as I know (fluent Latin, I mean), I just thought it was interesting. I still really like it and I'm learning on my own now, at my own pace, I just know that it would have brought my GPA down if I kept taking it, so I after the third term ended I decided not to continue with it at school.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • Ehh, my foreign language was Espanol. A lot of the concepts are similar; however, I don't know anything about the language. It's the orgin to a lot of words though, so it'd be an interesting language to learn.

Years
  • Owhay boutway igpay atinlay? Ahay ahay ahay.

I was never given the option to study Latin in high school, but I wish I had. The only foreign language we had was Spanish, in which I excelled. I was the Spanish club president at one point, actually. n_n;

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I tried learning latin but failed, I only know latin in terms of latin names of animals and plants

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • It's an interesting language, but one that I can't really learn here :/

The only languages I could/can learn were I think the usual German, French and Italian, and I did German for a year. But still, if Latin were offered, I would've tried it. It's a language that serves as what's probably the root of a majority of the English language.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I did study Latin for like a year. I studied it my freshman year of High School and I really liked it and thought it was easy and it sounded pretty. I preferred learning Latin over Spanish but my teachers and parents did force me to switch over to Spanish because Latin is dead and has no real practical use in you every day life.

Back