• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Le Beginners Supremo Graphicals Class

..PandA.CharadE..

CUPCAKES :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2009
    Oh yeah, noxious? When will the 2nd assignment be up? Just wondering..And thanks a lot for that tut! :3 It's great!

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    I think you mean the 3rd assignment, but I am waiting for the rest of the assignments, but if they aren't in soon I will post the latest one.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I made something n a few minutes.
    It's not totally good, but it's decent.

The stock is Mime Jr. from Pikachu Trainer~'s album. ;3

EDIT: I fixed it up:

Last edited:

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
    Sorry about the lateness of this, the thread didn't come up with the 'New Post' sign so I missed it for a few days. Oh well! Panda, here is a great tutorial with settings from Comic Tragedy here at PC. Just get the smudge brush, put some settings in and smudge over parts of your tag.

.Twenty Six : First off, nice simple banner! I like it. The image placed there gives the tag overall a nice feel about it. It makes it feel like she is the focal, but not entirely it as she is pushed over to the side if that made any sense. I know she was cut off and you had no other choice, but there is some depth to it so kudos for sticking to the image.
    My first concern is the transition between the darker blue and the light-ish area. It looks good, but just a clear straight line down the centre is a bit off putting. You could try smudging that line a little bit, or using a gradient from blue to transparent. So it slowing blends into the light.
    I like the bit of smudging of her shoulder, it helps blend her into the tag better and looks pretty cool by itself!
    I am not too sure about the text, cool idea using a Clipping Mask, but it looks just a smidgeon hard to read, and it looks a bit low quality as well. You could move it down to the bottom just right of her shoulder, that could look okay...
    Not sure about those blue dots either but they work I guess.
    The one thing is, this banner has very little flow. I know the image doesn't give you anything to work with, but you can make it up yourself then. There is a cool light source which looks ok and then those blue dots, neither follows an order. Try and establish a flow line, diagonal bottom left to top right (/) and arrange your effects around that.
    Lastly, the one without lens flare is better as the smudging of her shoulder doesn't turn an icky grey/white.

Did you save your banner as a PNG? Just as a heads up, everybody PLEASE save your work as a PNG. It results in higher quality when using online.

Snapz.
    I'm so used to saving it as a JPEG because I don't usually display my work online. But I'm planning to edit the PSD so I'll resave it as a PNG
    Sorry about that

[EDIT]
    Okay, I removed the blue dots and added this...shape thing instead, I would have used this scrolly brush I had, but I had to resort to Elements 6.0 since my normal Photoshop wasn't working right. So yeah, only default brushes there really. But is it any better?

Um, yeah, and I only saved the copy with the lens flare so I had to copy the one without paste it, seperate Idina from it, paste it onto a new layer, delete the one with the lens flare, then smudge it and stuff, and in the process I realized a thin line on the farthest left side of her face was present, so I kinda had to paint over it with a brush, do you think its too visible? Because I actually didn't spend a lot of time covering up the white line

Last edited:

Ezzo!

conejo.
    Years
    Here's mine. I did some motion blur and some stuffs.
    Sorry it took a while.
    edit: I couldn't find any tuts, so I did it with experimenting. xD

edit: PNG Version

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    OMG HUMONGOUS RATE

Pichu-Kun, you will get a smaller rate because I am going to make a new rule which will be said at the bottom of this post.
    Again you made a cool and simple banner with similar mistakes to last time. So you just need to knuckle down and really kink them out of your system. :) The edited version of it is much better as I can see the focal. The first problem is the text. I can read it, but it creates a monotonous feel when reading it. Using a lightish purple background can be difficult to fix this problem as things clash or make it monotonous. Using black could have worked, but made it a bit boring with text that size. The problem is in the technique used making this banner. Chuck a backing colour, brush some then add some text and image. The problem with this is that all the brushing is the same colour. Try finding colours that compliment each other and use different colours when brushing. Also, with the backing colour, try using black and work from there or use a gradient to enhance lighting and make some composition between colours.

Ok so you did a good job fixing up the errors I said and the scroll looking brush looks okay. Although I see the text is the same. With all blues and large black font right in the middle, it really steals the attraction from the real focal to the text. And having the focal pushed over in the corner doesn't help even though you couldn't help that. The text might look good over in the bottom right.
    The next problem is depth. Not that it really needs it, but with effects and the focal way over to the side, the eyes don't settle on one place. Take your blurring and sharpening tool and sharpen up the girl and blur the rest. This will allow us to see the effects and realise they are furthur away so we look at the render (focal).

JPEG!!! Save it as a PNG for your own sake. If enable higher quality when used online. I recommend you get into the habit of using it more often. Also, read the rule at the bottom of this post.]
    Ok, once again you impress me with some vector looking tags. Lovin' the positioning of the render and the little floral parts coming out from behind her. The lighting is correct, but may be a bit harsh. It is really powerful and could go with some lowering of opacity. I like the paper texture thing in the back as it lets you leave it blank, but still looks full.
    The only thing missing is some text, if you were stuck for placement, chuck some under
    the arm on our right.

About time! No I'm kidding! But now that I have your entry to the next assignment, Assignment 3 will be up shortly.
    Ok, if this was saved as a PNG this might be one of your better tags.
    So I am digging the cloudy background. It suits the theme of the tag and looks pretty cool! I'd be even more impressed with the tag if you smudged it yourself. Did you?
    Anyways, you have no problems with placement, as the focal, text and the clipping mask were placed in awesome locations! Nice use of the motion blur filter, it happens to be a technique I use a lot, so kudos! May I suggest playing around with the layer setting it is on? I use Lighten then play with the opacity, try out some different settings to achieve max awesomeness! ;)
    The text is in a good place but something looks wrong with it... Might be the flow or lack thereof..
    Anyways, probably one of your better tags!

Ok the new rule is! Banners are not to be posted in here for ratings unless they are related to your assignment. For example, the first time you post your assignment is ok, the second time you post it having fixed up parts that I commented on is ok, and I will allow a third time of fixing according to my comments if you wish.
    If you have a tag or graphic that you just made, I would prefer it if you VM it to me asking for a rate so we don't clog up this thread. I don't want to mistake your assignment for some experimenting around in Photoshop.
    New assignment will be up shortly!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I used the sharpen, blur, and smudge tool.

(I hope what I did above is what you meant.)

Kalseng

Sig maker/Dimension User/RPer
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 5, 2009
    My post was eat'd? Regardless, here's my lil' siggeh.

Y'know, I don't really like it. The texture throws it off. Without it, I think it might look better. REGARDLESS, here it is.

Harsh critique would be appreciated.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Well I am not putting a due date on them as people will always be running late anyways, so as soon as possible would be good. Try not to dawdle as well, we need to keep moving.
    Also I will be away for 2 days so I cannot rate while I am away but when I come back I am happy to.

Kalseng

Sig maker/Dimension User/RPer
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 5, 2009

-Paws absently at Noxious-

I didn't get any critique...

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years

Erm, yes, this is my take on the assignment. I don't really have any opinions on it, except for that its somewhat bright, and that I messed up the flow. But yeah, anyways.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Here's something I whipped up in a few minutes.
    (I know it might not be that good...)

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    ZOMG HUMONGOUS CATCHUP RATE

Ok first off little bit plain but it still looks good. The smudging of his arm on the left is pretty nice and helps blend him into the background. The background is quite boring actually but the texture saves that a little bit by not being completely white and ick.
    The effect to his right, what exactly is it? It looks ok, but I can't make out what it is and what it is doing there but it does make it look a little less empty.
    The text is quite ew. First of all, it should be several sizes smaller. Next it should be a dark brown color stolen from the gun on the render. Finally, it should follow the path of flow instead of staying right in the middle of it without contributing.
    I don't really like the border, but if you made it a px thicker and made it white it may look cool.

Well this is a really nice concept and it actually makes a really nice Photomanipulation as opposed to a tag but nevertheless. I think the render could've been made smaller. For the style you used here, you could have made it smaller or left it the same but I would've made it smaller. The forest in the background is very nice use ofa stock to create scenery. The light source is very nice and looks like it is coming down through the trees. Kudos to you! As a general rule, try to avoid the default Photoshop brushes. It looks okay in this piece, but generally they stink so try and download some new ones if you are lost for brushes. The orange leaves near the render are great while the fading green ones to the left are pretty poor... I don't think the smudging is necessary as this is more a Photomanip than a tag so fancy effects are not really needed. The little red sparkles are nice though although there may be too many of them.

Alrighty, firstly the render I gave you really doesn't look all to good if you can only see her head. By leaving her body in the tag or at least some of it, you can utilize the flow a lot easier and use effects a lot easier.
    Again Signor Pichu-Kun, brushing over the focal is a no go! Erase some brushing over he face and maybe some on her hair, it is distracting.
    The background is lacking I'm afraid. Putting a brown canvas and bushing randomly over the top really never looked good I'm afraid. Try erasing all the brushing and toying around with some smudging and C4D's if you are feeling brave.

Ok very good positioning of the render but pretty meh attempt at adding oomph via special effetcs. Can I tell you can brushing randomly over the entire banner using default brush presets never worked... If you erase all the brushing and try some smudging of copies of the render, it would look nicer.
    I see you are the only one who played around using brightness and contrast so props, but you went a tad overboard. Make her a little less bright. :x

Ok everybody good work on your assignments, I am adding a new rule... Yes another one..
    When you post your completed assignment or even a remake/ revamp after my rating, please, PLEASE post which assignment you are posting. If it is an update, put like "Assignment #3 Update 2" or something...
    When the assignments get indistuinguishable between each other, I don't want to have to go asking and sorting through stuff to find which one you completed.

Ezzo!

conejo.
    Years
    I'll be done with my assignment soon. xD
    I hate the render though, I experimented a lot, and all my outcomes fail. Haha, I'll have it done though. Sorry for the wait. :X

Back