• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite human characters

Years
  • When it comes to least favorites it's usually Pokémon that are mentioned, but what about human characters - who would you say are your least favorites from the series? Do you not enjoy their design, possibly their lack of background/story, or maybe you just dislike how often they pop up in the game and disrupt your gameplay?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The protagonists.

Well, ignoring the protagonists, the series is full of "characters" that aren't even actual characters, just souless avatars with zero relevance to the story (like the player's mom, most gym leaders and Elite Four members, etc.), so excluding all that, I guess my least favorites are Hop, Blue, the suit man from Galar, Hau, Lysandre, and the XY rivals.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Rose. Primarily dislikes characters because of how much they disrupt you. Docks people like Hop and Serena/Calem for constantly challenging you to (weak) battles. Points to Rose more specifically because of the terrible reason AND the timing. Interrupts the final match buildup to talk about some crisis in a millennia. Feels pretty unbelievable too, given how little people react to current, real-world crises. Imagines some person in the year 1023 raving about a climate crisis. Chose an incredibly dumb solution, in addition.

Years
  • ill be frank i think that as far as human characters, there isnt any TRUELY good ones in terms of character. Designs sure but ultimately thats all pokemon company gives us cause they sure dont try to make interestingly written characters. To name a few specific examples:

Blue: EVERYONE at one point was calling him the best rival and i simply do not see it, just a generic jerk with no interest. Just dont like him
    Barry: Really obnoxious like everyone else before me has stated
    Rose: Dude started a crisis for basically no reason at all
    Almost every character from X and Y: Super unmemorable and most dont do anything
    Ultra recon squad: Completely useless and uneeded, ruins an actually interesting family dichotomy story in the OG
    Bede: Blue but modern and without the excuse of "its the first game"

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I second Barry from Pokémon Diamond. He's both annoying and unimportant.

His character development goes as far as only self recognition. I felt nothing like I did in the generations previous.

Years
  • The bottom of the barrel is always Barry. Period. I don't think there's anything I like about his character whatsoever.
    The spiky hair angry dude from Unova also comes to mind, but at the same time I find him forgettable... as evidenced by not even being able to recall his name without looking it up.
    Wrist problems boi from Alola was also pretty annoying, but not as much as the two above.
    And then there's the battle junky from Paldea. Blegh. If not for Barry I'd actually probably put Nemona at the bottom.
    I also dislike Bede, but not as strongly as Barry or Nemona.

Barry is the worst, followed by Nemona, spiky hair angry dude, Bede and then wrist problems boi.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    ill be frank i think that as far as human characters, there isnt any TRUELY good ones in terms of character. Designs sure but ultimately thats all pokemon company gives us cause they sure dont try to make interestingly written characters.

Yeah, even finding ten good characters throughout the entire franchise would be a difficult task.

Years
  • Yeah, even finding ten good characters throughout the entire franchise would be a difficult task.

i dont even think they have tried ONCE to make an interesting character. Closest i can think of is silver, but his arc is super basic. And KINDA hugh who has different goals and ambitions to most rivals we expected at the time. But still not great

Years
  • Almost all of the human characters in this series are pretty garbage if we're being honest with ourselves (95% of them are basically 2D cutouts of people and the other 5% are the silent protags). I'd say my least favorite is Silver though, same as Squirtkipfan01, people always say he's such a great rival but he strikes me as a comically arrogant jerk who somehow maintains his ego even after being beaten 5 times in a row; then bizarrely does a 180 and becomes a good person overnight because the devs needed to shove in an arc for him.

Back