• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least Favorite in-Game Rival?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Who is everyone's least favorite in-game rival, or group of rivals?

My least favorite were the X/Y rivals. They were annoying, Terrible trainers, didn't help at all, and stole all the credit for saving the world. (Trevor and Tierno weren't even fighting team flare? why do they get credit?!?)

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
    The only trainers I remember from XY are Shauna and Serena/Calum :seduce:

Anyways, I think I hated Blue the most, TBH. He was the only rival who seemed to genuinely be a jerk.

HGSS rival had a soft side, DPPt rival was pretty cool, if shallow. RSE rival was more of the same. BWBW2 rivals were all pretty cool, because their characters were actually fleshed out properly.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Yeah, the group of "rivals" in X/Y just didn't do it for me. I found all of them unlikable and with no depth, man. I know they wanted to have trainers with different goals this time around (Tierno & Trevor), but you gotta try and make them interesting at least. Emma, a freakin' side character got more development than all of them and was way more interesting.

I'm not one of those clamoring for another a-hole rival (which Hau obviously is not). Just want another rival with some depth that "evolves" over the course of the game and poses somewhat of a challenge too. Plz?

Years
    For me it's definitely the X and Y group of rivals, I just felt like they were awful characters and were annoying. They weren't even rivals more like friends and I'm more of a fan of the classic obnoxious rival like Blue or Silver so needless to say they didn't quite do it for me.

Also as much as I love the Hoenn games, I felt like May/Brendan weren't the greatest of rivals either, I mean they didn't even fully evolve their starter and the battles were not particularly compelling. But my least favourite is without a doubt the XY rivals.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    Hmm, the XY rivals, no doubt. They were just so annoying, and most of them didn't take an important role in the plot, plus, they were easy to defeat... The thing is .... They were not interesting... They didn't get any depth :/
    I'm also not a fan of the Hoenn's rivals. But, that's because I'm not a fan of May or Brendon as rivals (plus May always looked annoying to me xD)

I'm also not a fan of Hau. I'm afraid he will be like XY's rivals... Because from what they showed us in the trailer, I was not THAT impressed.

kij

the kij
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    In my opinion, my least favourite rivals are the Hoenn and Sinnoh rivals.
    Because I don't really think that they're really much of rivals and have beef with you, I think they're more of the "friendly" side.

Although the Gen 3 and 4 games are my favourites, the rivals didn't really look intimidating and (kinda) hateful such as Silver and Blue.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Have to echo a lot of the other replies and say XY rivals as well. I don't mind friendly rivals - Wally was super sweet and I loved his character growth, but these guys are just so annoying and one-dimensional - like they all just have their one "thing" (awkwardness, cheeriness, dancing) and it defines their entire character. I cringe every time they speak. pokemon dance team is not a thing tierno, stop it

Serena/Calum was enough - tacking the three doofuses on didn't enhance my XY experience in any way.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Oh boy, people already beat me to the punch. Guess I'll have to copy/paste what people have to say about the X/Y and R/S/E rivals. They're not necessarily rivals, they're just friends who battle you. May/Brendan just happen to meet you during your journey and basically say "eyy let's fite". It doesn't feel like there's much...well, rival stuff going on between you two. It's all for fun. Meanwhile, Wally actually wants to get stronger. I like him better.

As for the X/Y rivals, most of them were quite annoying. It always felt like Shauna was trying to get me to date her, Tierno was just ugh, Trevor (was that his name?) was also pretty annoying, and the opposite of the protagonist...um, is it bad that I can't remember them at all? That would definitely make them a bad rival, right? Someone with little impact?

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    The XY rivals.

They are annoying. They're too friendly and cutesy. It's not charming. If they thought it was, they're wrong.

Calem/Serena was a blank slate and lacked any and all personality. If anything they seemed too serious most of the time.

Tierno was annoying. I get it, you're obsessed with dancing...
    And Shauna is just an annoying little girl.
    Trevor was kinda tolerable though?

I'm cool with the rest of the rivals though. XY were the only truly bad ones.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Yeah, friendly rivals can be ok, I liked Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, but X/Y was just... no.
    I feel like if a rival is tough and jerky, it's satisfying to beat them, but in X/Y it's like, "alright I crushed you now get out of my life."

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Yeah, friendly rivals can be ok, I liked Hoenn, Sinnoh, and Unova, but X/Y was just... no.
    I feel like if a rival is tough and jerky, it's satisfying to beat them, but in X/Y it's like, "alright I crushed you now get out of my life."

I agree. I liked friendly rivals like Brendan, Wally, Cheren and Bianca. They gave off a kind, caring vibe and got some good character development.

But Tierno, Shauna, and the rest... they felt like they came from a kids TV show.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Also I'm kind of a loner, so I hate having them there all the time. I would find the forest a lot more enjoyable if I was walking my myself.

Years
    I know I'm going to cop flack for this, but I really despise Blue as a character. I'm someone who's been a bad victim of bullying so to me, his personality tends to give me bad memories of those bullies plus I also never properly played a game with Kanto as the main region. I do get why he has his fanbase though, since he was the original and people back then loved both him and Silver for being "antagonistic".

The other notable rival I hate is pretty much what everyone else said - the Kalos crew. Calem/Serena were okay but it was always a little upsetting seeing them know that they can't beat the protagonist ever since he/she went on their journey. Shauna did have some personality, but she did act a bit annoying, while both Trevor and Tierno had no development at all.

I am looking forward to Hau from Sun & Moon though since he looks like a very happy person, but we'll see if he ends up meeting my expectations in the end.

Lunarly

(●´ω`●)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 2, 2019
    Really did not like Silver at all lol. His attitude was terrible and he's always like "You're trash and you can't win" when in-reality he's the trashy one since I always beat him with ease (his team isn't exactly threatening). I mean he's alright after he turns a new leaf but, I can't just drop a grudge like that lol.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    The X and Y rivals. They. Are. So. Annoying. Being forced to be with Shauna was a bore, Tierno and Trevor had potential but were not interesting, and Serena was so weak I could flick a Caterpie at her and her team would be defeated. They barely put up a fight, have no personality and I felt they held no point in the story. Serena is a terrible trainer( in game) and barely puts up any challenge. Whenever I beat these guys, I didn't feel satisfied about it, I felt terrible because I'm crushing a bunch of kids hopes and dreams. I hope Hau is a better Rival because after those people, I'm completely against another "friend group" in Pokemon.

Years
    I find May/Brendan fairly vanilla too.

Brendan and May did redeem themselves in OR/AS thanks to additional personality and development they lacked in the original Hoenn games, along with being more involved in the story and having their starter be fully-evolved as of the Lilycove City battle. If OR/AS kept them the same, they would have still ranked bad for me.

Brendan and May were very bland and forgettable in RSE to me... They were improved on a lot in ORAS though so I'll give them that. No longer as dull as they used to be, but in the original versions I'd say they were as uninteresting as Serena and Calem. =(

So yeah definitely the XY rivals. They didn't have much of a personality and I found Shauna to outshine them in that department, she had so much more charm and felt more alive.

Years
    What does entertain me about this thread is literally everyone mentioning the failure of a group that is Shauna, Trevor, Tierno and Calem/Serena.

Back