• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least useful Hidden Machines?

Years
  • Everybody knows HMs and what a "necessary liability" they are to your Pokemon, thus leading to things like HM Slaves. Out of all of these near-worthless field moves, is there one you find to be the least useful out of all of them?

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • OMG DEFOG IS THE WORST MOVE ON THE PLANET I CANT EVEN STAND IT. Not even my HM slaves deserve to learn that crap.

Oblivion Reaper 2.0

Not Dead Yet
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Hell
    • Seen Jun 15, 2011
    Flash/Defog...
    I mean flash is ok in battle but it's so stupid having to learn just so i can cross caves...
    And defog is just pure crap

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I hate Defog with a passion. It actually helps the opponent by getting rid of your Stealth Rock and stuff. And it is only useable on one route and building. At least Flash lowers the opponents accuracy. Cut and Whirlpool are also rather useless. At least there is Surf and Waterfall to make up for it.

Soviet Russia

The Chosen Nub
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Cut.. CUT CUT CUT! I've hated it since I started playing. It makes me catch a patrat/bidoof/rattata etc to use as a slave. Who needs to cut a tree anyway??

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Defog easily - it isn't needed to get past any obstacles - just helps (and less than Flash) and it is also useless in battles too (practically anyway) - Flash can at least lower the opponent's accuracy.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I don't use HM slaves except when absolutely necessary, so I'd have to say all of them except for Fly, Strength, Surf, and Waterfall. At least those four are actually usable in battle. Pretty much all of the others are either useless or impractical, Defog being the best example. Now if they would have made Whirlwind an HM and given it the same effect as Defog on the field, that would have been awesome. I'm actually wondering why the didn't, seeing as they have used Whirlwind for that purpose quite a few times in the anime.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • It's actually kinda fun to run aimlessly around in the dark, so I'll pass on Flash, thanks. I don't give a darn about Defog, because I like fog. It's pretty. Whirlpool and Cut serve no purpose other than an easy (albeit illogical) way to block players from going certain places.

"Hey, Misty. I want to go to Saffron City and do some shopping, but there's a three-foot tree in the way. What should I do?"

"I guess we're stuck here, huh? Maybe we should just wait until some ten-year-old comes along and whups me, then we can follow him."

"Hey, Misty?"

"Yeah?"

"How do we get any goods into the city if we can't get around that tree? And on the other side, there's those weird ledges that are low enough to jump off but far too high to climb. How the hell has our economy managed to survive for this long?"

". . . I really don't know. I think we're self-sufficient."

"But we have the only bike shop in the whole region!"

"Sucks to be all those bikeless folks down south, then, doesn't it?"

". . . Yup."

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Can I say every of them? :D
    Okay maybe not... =D
    Well it depends on the part of the game. Cut can be useful in first part of the game, Rock Smash as well.
    But what I really hate are Flash and Defog they are so useless as they can be... just occupy attack space for HM Slaves.
    On the other hand I use Strength, Fly and Surf, they are pretty useful.

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
  • I actually get some use out of a couple, like Cut early on in the game. But Defog, which has almost no practical battle use, and Rock Smash which is super weak, even with a type advantage... ugh. I'm glad they aren't HMs in Black/White--and in Defog's case, non-existant.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Whirlpool is the bane of my existence. Particularly since I hate having an HM slave, so I teach Surf, Waterfall and Whirlpool to my resident Water Pokemon and then that leaves just one move that it naturally learns.

Cut never bothers me, I just teach it to my resident Grass Pokemon, it's never been much of a hassle. It still leaves three empty spots. Defog is a b**ch though.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Every one except Surf and Fly. (And Waterfall for 4th gen and on)

But Defog is easily the worst of the bunch because it's near useless in and out of battle. Flash and Whirlpool come in next because they have horrible, horrible accuracy.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • OMG DEFOG IS THE WORST MOVE ON THE PLANET I CANT EVEN STAND IT. Not even my HM slaves deserve to learn that crap.

I Have To Agree With This, I Mean Defog Only Blows away fog I mean it helps the opponent unlike Flash Which has the ability to reduce the opponent's accuracy and Plus I can Maneuver in Thick Fog But I have Trouble in Dark Caves

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Flash and Defog aren't even necessary to beat the game if you know what you're doing, so I never bother to even collect the HMs for them on most of my recent playthroughs.

Everything else has at least some use both in-battle and on the overworld. Fortunately, the weakest of them, Cut and Rock Smash stop becoming necessary halfway through the game anyways. XD

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The HM moves that I (currently) despise are both Whirlpool and Waterfall. It's so annoying to the fact that I'm already surfing in water and I have to use two more HMs to get through and get to my destination. I wish things are a lot easier for a change. >_>

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I pretty much can't stand any of the HMS besides Fly and Surf. Waterfall is okay, and cut is okay too, so I can make due without having to always have an HM slave at hand, but I hate wandering around aimlessly in the dark and it kills me when I have to sacrifice training a pokemon to have an HM slave just because I don't want to waste a good move slot on flash. I also can't stand whirlpool and dive. Thankfully there's enough water pokemon I can force teach it to and use as hm slaves. But again, that means I have to sacrifice a slot. I don't even teach anything defog. The fog is easy to get through, even I who am legally blind can get through it. Plus the fog only lasts for like one route or one floor in a cave. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

So to me, defog is the most useless hidden machine, and shouldn't be used ever. Even if you're a novice trainer.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • cut is somewhat useful in the beginning but not really worth the hassle of teaching. waterfall just makes no sense, how can a pokemon swim up a waterfall, not jump over it, but actually swim up it and at the same time carry their trainer?

Defog and rock smash were also pointless

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • Cut and Rock Smash.

I never taught my Pokemon Flash -- I always used to find my way around caves by sticking to side of the walls. x33

Urgh, HMs are horrid. D:

Back